Tips for first time Baja 1000 spectator

NorCalBob

Reaction
My 67 year old father and I are making the trip down to Ensenada for the 50th Baja 1000. We made reservations with Juan Carlos from Baja Voyager for the Hotel Cortez for the 15th and 16th and also reserved a van and driver for race day. Any suggestions on what to do and not do? We both have been to Ensenada dozens of times but never during race time.
We were thinking of watching some of the start and then taking the van out to a good spot on the course to watch. Any ideas for a good spot near the begining of the course? We have the van for 8 hours.
Thanks!

flyinbronco

Reaction
I'd skip the start and head towards Ojs Negos find a spot south of the highway crossing but you must get there early.

Reaction
^^^ What he said, and get there really early.

johndjmix

Reaction
Same advice. Skip the start and head out to a good spot. Bring a race radio to listen to weatherman. Help out anyone in need, that’s the way it works.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

NorCalBob

Reaction
Y2kbaja already using your timetable to plan! Thanks!
How early is early to be on the side of the course? I was thinking of going no further than 2 hours out of Ensenada since I only have the van and driver for about 8 hours.

flyinbronco

Reaction
I would get out there by 8 am. It's only about an hour from downtown. First trophy truck will be there 10:30 to 11 am. Plan on staying for a while or you'll be driving backwards on the course and trust me you don't want to be that guy. If you can't stay until all the racers have cleared you then park by the highway and walk down course.

E. Araiza

Reaction
I would get out there by 8 am. It's only about an hour from downtown. First trophy truck will be there 10:30 to 11 am. Plan on staying for a while or you'll be driving backwards on the course and trust me you don't want to be that guy. If you can't stay until all the racers have cleared you then park by the highway and walk down course.
This would be your best "Baja spectator" experience for sure but if you want something easier maybe in between Ojos and Ensenada there's some ranches that open upe spectator areas with food, beer and stuff like that, that would be a good option too.

43mod

Reaction
strong chance driver will know a spot,have carne asada,fire wood and be drunk and driving like a madman on your return. I would invite his family along w you to make it a perfect day at the races. Not kidding.

randy s

Reaction
you can try to make a plan....prolly won't happen though but the earlier you go, the better off you'll be because it can be a mess getting over the hill on race day..by hanging around ojos, you'll see more racers go by..have fun

JDDurfey

Reaction
I would go to the start and watch the bikes start. I believe they are starting the night before in the dark. You could stand on one of the bridges in the wash and watch them blast under.

green787

Reaction
I don't think you should miss the spectacle of the Ensenada river bed.... Next year Ojos Negros...

MARXICO

Reaction
Don't short change your self rent the van for 12 hr...its no different than watching a movie and being told you have to leave after the first part...you have made a major investment and this only happens 1 time ,go big

WickedGravityVideo

Reaction
One other option is to watch all the TTs line up, and get ready to leave, and you take off 45 minutes before start, head down highway 3, you can stop at Ojos Negros on east side of highway (through military checkpoint and thru course road xing, and watch the first few trucks cross the highway, then jump in your car and head to KM77 road crossing, watch a few trucks, then head to the Goat Trail, 1km before Valle de Trinidad --- hard to find a place to park, might have to park down the hill and walk back up, and should be good spectating for hours there, trucks and buggies coming down Goat Trail. Then go to the excellent taco shop in Valle de Trinidad and relax. Just don't get caught in traffic when you should be spectating -- a real challenge. Motorbikes work best for this.

Baja Rob

Reaction
Hi guys, new to the forum. I will be driving up to La Paz from Cabo on Friday morning (5 am). I have room for one in the truck. Where do you recommend watching? I was thinking near RM 1110

Cheers

y2kbaja

Reaction
I estimate the first TT to finish at 4:54am on Friday. Might want to leave a little earlier. For a time crunch the last 1-10 miles before the pavement into La Paz is ok.

Speedy Gonzales

Reaction
Don't short change your self rent the van for 12 hr...its no different than watching a movie and being told you have to leave after the first part...you have made a major investment and this only happens 1 time ,go big
That was my thought, once you get out there, and start to experience all that is going on...you're not going to want to leave

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
Do not post up on the outside of a turn.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Baja Rob

Reaction
Any tips on handheld radios to listen to the Weatherman? Which to get/ what frequency?