Tire change in car video from 6122 Legacy race

MTPyle

Reaction
OK here it is. I added some commentary to the video to make sure people know we understand how poorly we performed.

I was giving Mike Osborn crap in the video for being more than a minute behind us when he went by. But the fact that he went by us shows he was faster. LOL Good for him. I would have taken the comment out but it takes forever to render the video. Love Mike so I am comfortable giving him crap, even if out backfired. Hehe

Lots to learn from this video and we are going to make some real improvements. This is as raw and real as it gets.

Looking forward to getting roasted over this. Haha

Mike

JerryB

Reaction
It happens Mike, I had one a few races ago, breaking in a new co-dog, that has you beat by a couple minutes! I let him get out solo as a learning experience, he learned a few things that's for sure! I'd roast myself too with the video but our gopro faces front, can't see anything but the minutes go by.

jon coleman

Reaction
expert opinion alert, as soon as you get flat and looking for safe area loosen and pop net& belts( make sure in safe slow down area, dont pop belts still rollin' in a squirrelly area, co dawg Allready have elec impact out waiting for driver 'Go ' signal( i wish i was out there hittin' rocks!another trick on belts is sugical hose on shoulder belts, holds them in easy to grab positions getting back strapped in.also try tire change practice , at night, in the rain, in the mudd😍

Last edited:

MTPyle

Reaction
Best part is my kid yelling at me that I am going to get him killed if I don't pull over. No shortage of drama in our family. Haha

Mike

Exp24

Reaction
Mike always enjoy your write ups on the trials and tribulations of racing, as a amateur racer I've learned tremendously from my own mistakes and reading others. Keep up on what you are doing, it took us 7 years of racing before we reached out goals.

mike_osborn

Reaction
🤣 No worries. You're a good guy and I don't take any offense. BUT, since you called me out for being slower, I had to study the video and break it down in hopes of keeping some semblance of my manhood/pride. You hit the rock at ~23 seconds but continued to drive for 37 seconds before you pulled over - albeit not as fast as you were going. I came by at 1:38. Since I started 1:00 minute behind you, that means that I would have been 15 seconds off your pace IF you hadn't continued to drive for 37 seconds. If, during that 37 seconds, you averaged 50% of the speed you would have been going (which it seems like you did by my super precise estimation skills based on your video), I still would have been ahead of you by a couple of seconds. BOOM!

LOL, I love your recaps and analysis. I wouldn't have patience to put up with the crap you do on here.

BTW, I don't think you guys need to work on your tire changing strategy at all. It looked great to me.

JBuggy21

Reaction
Thanks for posting Mike. It’s almost like you’ve been roasted so much people have gotten tired of it. So I bet this will be a big help.
Watching yourself is one of the best ways to get better. Looks like growing pains. I will say I laughed out loud when your son yelled at you. He was right, but hilarious. Keep it up man.

MTPyle

Reaction
Haha it’s like the special needs kid. You just can’t keep making fun of them. I bet most just shake their heads and laugh at me when I share stuff anymore. Haha

Mike

JBuggy21

Reaction
F*** it. How many races have you done total? I would love to hear the comparison to other who have been racing a long time. I’ll bet your right on par.

MTPyle

Reaction
Jbuggy21,

Just updated our race results. We have raced 22 races and about 6700 race miles. I think we are behind the curve. Our biggest issue is being from UT we can not test as much. We usually do not have the truck done until race week and don't get to mess around and practice. With our truck in Barstow now we hope to get more test and practice time. Also a issue is we have always been scrambling with truck problems so most of the time we are in panic mode before races.

I had not raced since SS300 last year so I was way green.

Here is our results broke down for each race.

Attachments

• 6122 Race RESULTS MP.pdf
    52.2 KB · Views: 56

JBuggy21

Reaction
This is probably a really dumb question but do you ever think, screw position. Let’s just finish? I wonder how many top 10’s you’d have if you just had preserved the truck.
Maybe I’m way off...

MTPyle

Reaction
We cared more about finishing at first and when we were going for points. Now we want to finish well. A top 10 is good but we are going for top 5. We found it was easier to finish when you went slow. Haha

Most of our DNF’s are not driver or race related, they are prep issues. So driving slower would not have helped. This last race I knew I had to make up time because of bad qualifying. I had to pass a few trucks early so could not sit back and relax. I obviously pushed too hard. I will post the split times.

Mike

Mxrider909

Reaction
Full disclosure, I gave you guys some heck in the other thread but in my UTV race over the weekend, me and my co-dawg took 11:20 so hey, you beat us.. were not really set up to change tires in racing more like trail tire changes, and i waited until he was fully belted in until I started moving, but that's just an excuse. I feel like with practice we'll both get better.

Last edited:

redbaronrace

Reaction
WTF , its funny , at our shop tire changes are the first thing the codog learns and practices , 2 min or less by them selfs , or no ride , driver stays seated ! just wow , good job carson , practice practice practice .

MTPyle

Reaction
MTPyle,

What's your tire pressure?

we run 33psi for race. We run on the higher side. Tire pressure is not our problem. Every flat we get the wheel is destroyed. This impact ripped half the bead lock off the wheel.

Mike

MTPyle

Reaction
WTF , its funny , at our shop tire changes are the first thing the codog learns and practices , 2 min or less by them selfs , or no ride , driver stays seated ! just wow , good job carson , practice practice practice .

LOL I did the voice over in 1 take and didn’t watch it back. Just watched it today and it was pretty funny to me. Haha

surprised nobody thought it was funny. I try not to take things too seriously and laugh at ourselves.

people always want to post things when they do amazing but I like the post the screw ups. We have had much better tire changes than this. But they are not as entertaining. Hehe.

Mike