• Forum membership has its advantages....

Tire Clearance

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
I have a '98 F-150 4x4 with a RCD 6 inch lift and Nationals in the rear all on 35's. My problem is this: my rear tires rub the outer fender well just enough that something needs to be done. I don't want to put fiberglass on my truck (not a prerunner = disco) and I hate the look of flaired fender wells (again disco). Do I have any other options? Has anybody had the same problem and done something different? Furthermore, I get a little tire rub in the front. I thought that the RCD kit was designed for 35's? Does anybody else have the same problem? Thanks in advance and see ya in Laughlin!

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Before a war errupts, let me clarify. On a truck that is NOT a PRERUNNER (i.e. does not have huge amounts of travel and thus no need for fiberglass like mine) than fiberglass is DISCO! What function does it serve other than looks? I hope we can all agree on this point as there is a need for fiberglass on some trucks, just not on all trucks.

John Bitting

Administrator
I was just messing around. There will be no war.. I dont see many options. You have ruled out the easy ones by flaring and going glass. The only other option is going with a skinnier rim, smaller tire, or trimming the inside lip of the bed.. Or a huge block and stink bug that bad boy..:)

DPpatrol

When I had my old yota, I was too poor to buy fiberglass besides, so I took a sawzall to the bedsides. Looked kind of all right. Got rid of the rub.

jason

Tony_Barraza

Travis-

What's up Bud?

If you don't want to cut or pull the bedsides, you may want to rethink the width/offset of your wheels..

I'm sure you don't want to buy new wheels if you don't have to, but, I remember your truck from the pit at Ojos Negros at the Baja 1000, and it seemed pretty clean. Do you really want to start cutting and pulling at it?

Or, there is always John's suggestion of going Stink Bug Grande...

Happy New Year Bud!

Tony B.

jeff

If you don't run fiberglass and you don't flare the bed... exactly what do you propose we suggest? I can think of plenty of smart ass remarks that won't help you a damn bit - here goes!

How about you cut the entire truck in half down the centerline, widen it by 1" inch, and weld it back together?

You could take the rearend to a qualified shop and tell them you need it 1" narrower to clear your tire.

You could take the tires to a shop with a grooving iron and they could cut your tires down to fit.

Get some of those plastic Bushwhacker fender flares, trim the fender to allow the tires to fit and hide the hacksaw cut with the flares.

Get new tires?

Get new wheels?

Allow the current rub to fix itself. (might require actual off-road use)

I think your street queen would like fine with a slight modification to the rear panels. If it only requires a gnats ass of clearance the flare will hardly be noticable.

Aloha

PS - I'm just kidding so don't take any of this too serious.

Mikey

Dude, looks like glass would be functional on your truck, so it wont be disco! You can just pull the
back half of the bed side ever so slightly to clear the tire. It probably will not be noticable.

TRDshaunTRD

cut the inside of your wheel well. Then pull out your bed side enough for your tires to clear and either weld in brackets to keep the bed side out, or bolt some in. This will not look disco and won't even be that noticeable.

Jimmy8

You know what, I saw dually fenders on a F-150 one time. They put them on a truck with a really wide rear end and it had longer I beams up front with some fiberglass up there. Looked pretty trick really.

PMC Racing

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Just scrap the bed and zip tie the brake lights to the frame rails....no worries of disco then, and you are guar-own-teed not to rub anymore.

Kris

"Revenge is best served cold"

jeff

Damn Greg, you got good ideas too. :) Running a dually fender on a non-dually truck would be a totally non-disco idea. I completely missed the ball by leaving that out. I did however come up with another possibility... Instead of having someone cut the rearend down an inch --- why not just heat up the axle tubes red hot and jump the truck once to get a nice bend going... the bend would reduce the width and would allow the tires to clear.

Aloha

DPpatrol

Maybe if you only need a few cm to clear the bedsides, you can use a palm sander to sand away enough of the sidewall to prevent the rubage.

jason

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Go to a shop that install lowering kits and have them roll the fender lips. That should be good for about .75" and you can't even tell.

Kris

"Revenge is best served cold"

TRDshaunTRD

rolling can be done by putting a bat on the inside of the fenders and pulling and rolling accross the inside of the fender.