Tire clearance

Tyson

Reaction
Hey I don't know if this has already been discussed - but do any of you run 33's (preferably by 10.5) on Toyota pick ups. I'm only concerned with the front, I know they rub but I was curious if there is an easy fix for this problem - or is the only fix cutting back the fire wall and replating them in. I'm planning on making some 3" lift spindles and then removing the 2" body lift I currently have. I'm curious if this will then let the 33's clear. Any thoughts?

You may beat me in the flats, but watch out in the whoops.

polar

Reaction
I ran 33x10.5 BFG All Terrains on my 90 Toyota 4x4 when it was stock suspension with fiberglass in front and slightly pulled/hacked/bent bedsides. I had to bend the ridge in the front wheel well after it took a chunk out of my new tire but no major work.

toyoter91

Reaction
i have 33x1250s on my truck.. the front only rubs a tad because of the black plastic inner finder up front and only when i am turning and hit a bump. the rear hits the front of the finder because of axle wrap i think but the tire itself bent it down slightly so it doesnt do it as much but i still need to hack a tad bit off of it. hope this helps oh yeah i have a 91 4x4 extra cab

"Its still good!!! Its still good!!!"

Tyson

Reaction
Cool, thanks for the info, but do any of you "2 wheel drive" Toyota's out there run 33's. I know that the 4x4 can squeeze in the 33's but those trucks have a completely different front end then the 2wd trucks. Oh well I guess I'll just have to try them and see.

Skyler

Reaction
I have a 94 2wd with a 3.5" lift in front and about am 1.5" in the rear. I ran 33" bajas for a couple of months, they rubbed like hell but I took an 8 pound sledge to the inner fenderwell and then they only rubbed on full compression. I imagine with the lift spindle and some minor massaging of the fenderwell you could run the 33's.

Skyler

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
sledge is the way to go!

"Those who risk nothing are nothing."

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
I have 33"s on my 84 2wd. The only problem I have had is due to leaving the rubber bottom stop off the drivers side lower arm. Jumped it at the sandblast and stuffed the wheel into the firewall on both sides. Some unwanted sheetmetal work was done to the firewall and fenderwells of both sides. Breaking the engine compartment fuse box on the passenger side. But the drivers side crushed firewall back about 1 1/2" crushing the fuse panel and breaking the clutch master cylinder. The pasenger side just added to what I have done with a hammer already. The upper fenderwells were pushed up a little. I am replacing them with 32" or 31" when they wear out. I would cut out the firewall and replace if you really want 33"s.

<font color=red>PAT KAPKO</font color=red>
<font color=yellow>Fab by travolta</font color=yellow>

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
My brother used to have an '85 2wd with an ATS kit and 3" body lift and the 33's (12.5 wide) rubbed. He smashed the fire wall back with a sledge and that worked for the most part unless he went too big. Once out at ocotillo a front fender got blasted off when he over jumped at devils slide but otherwise the 33's weren't a problem. I `on't know how you will do with out a body lift though (or lift spindles).

scott

Reaction
When I had my Toyota 2WD with 33x10.5-15 Baja T/A's, I simply called out Sista Sledge. The glass had plenty of clearance, but the inner firewall was rubbing a bit... I few whacks and my travel went from 10 to 12". It still rubbed after that, but you had to hammer it!!! (compression wise) to make it rub. But after the sledge it was way better.

drtdevil93

Reaction
i run 33's on my 93 2wd with no rubbing. baja shop moved the suspension an inch forward, and of course the inner fenderwells are long gone. stock spindle for now.

erik

Tyson

Reaction
Well I decided to just do it and fix it later if need be. After a mild weekend of testing out at the MDR race, survey says - I like the 33's. It gave me a slightly smoother ride, and I gained alot of clearance from whoops, ruts, and bushes - and I only bottomed out the front twice! (rear is all glass so no worries about clearance there) I think though I still need to get those spindles made, maybe if its possible even make the wheel an inch or so forward.

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
I am having new rubbing problems with the widened front. the tires now rub the front fenders (Hanneman Ivan)

Tyson

Reaction
That sucks, do you think if you went with the BFG 33x10.5's they'd fit? Or can you cut the glass enough to make em stuff inside?

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
I have 33/9.5 on now. The tires are outside the glass at ride height. pushed the fenders up and broke the mounting holes, a little trimming is in order

Skyler

Reaction
I've got a 94 2wd with 3.5" lift in the front, 30"s 31"s and 33"s have all rubbed on the fenderwells. I tooka sledgehammer to the inners and now the 33"s only rub on full compression, but the fenderwells look like crap. The Total Chaos spindle is definetly trick and I would love to run it if I had the money

Skyler

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Pat that sucks, thats the ivan kit too isnt it? I dont know if anyone makes a wider kit than that heh.

Go Big Or Go Home

Tyson

Reaction
Hmmm, well Pat, I guess you could go with another manufacturer of glass (I think my Ivan may be a little wider-Glassworks) or you could go with the tundra conversion, but I would just trim your existing glass - who wants to spend the cash to get new glass.