Tire pressure monitor system suggestions

misterktm

I seem to be horrible at feeling a rear flat until the tire is totally destroyed....I know some run pressure monitors, but I'm thinking it has to be a pretty robust system to hold up to the conditions we run in. Anyone have a suggestion on brand/model ?

Thanks

Attachments

Baja Bryan

With Life and Motec you can do it.. Danzio was working on a compete wireless system. I am curious if there is any good cheaper ones that will work for prerunrs. Lots of ones on the market but not sure they will hold up to a baja 500 prerun.. In a race when we are doing 145mph I am glued to those pressures. also just before each pit to see if you have a slow leak.

MTPyle

We are working with AEM to add these cheaper sensors that come with a CanBus module. They are like $250 and can talk to a CanBus dash. But AEM didn't have the driver for this set up so they are working on it.

What dash do you have?

We got the TPMS sensor that goes in the wheel thru the valve stem as it has temp and pressure. But then we realized it was a mess to keep track of each wheel. So we went to the style that screws on the valve stem and they seem to work better and way easier to move around. They do not do temp but we found out temp is useless as the brakes heat up the wheel and give a higher reading than just tire air temp.

We have been running the sensors but do not have the info on our dash yet. Its one of the projects we have to do. We are also adding an additional engine dash for the Co driver so they can see the TMPS info as well as all the temps and other info we have on our dash.

BTW- thats a crazy cool pic of the tire.

Mike

RNowlin

I have used these for 4 races with no issues. I have sold this brand for use on several vehicles, even up to a 400T crane, all good.

MTPyle

that looks pretty nice and I like the lock for the cap.

Mike

misterktm

Hi Mike, What dash ? LOL....It's just an old pro-truck.... alot of autometer gauges on a fiberglass panel - nothing fancy here. I've been fortunate enough to spend some time in Steve Strobel and Troy Vests trophy trucks, which both have the fancy computer stuff...we're no where near that level.

I have a nice system for my tow vehicle, as I've had trailer tire issues - but I don't think that system is robust enough for the race truck.

RNowlin, What kind of cost is the unit you are offering?

RNowlin

$260+frt. It is a complete stand alone system pressure/temp for 5 tires. You can adjust the pressure and temp settings to suit. It is rechargeable or can hard wire. It has both audio and visual alerts for alarms.

misterktm

Looking at my (KMC) wheels last night, I'm concerned about the limited space around the valve stem for the external sensors. The sensors on my tow vehicle would not even come close to fitting on these race truck wheels. The rim edge is close to it due to the rim lock design. What diameter are these sensors you all are using ?

Slippery P

The BF1 TPMS system is pretty much what everyone is running.

Slippery P

Is that the one that is 10K?
We sell them for around 6k that is the ECU and 8 sensors, that being said the system is built to be interfaced to a digital dash.

dzrt performance

i have a system for $400 that will monitor both temp and pressures for 4 tires. kit includes the "brain box" and 4 tire sensors.

you must have some sort of dash display. it outputs the data on CAN to be displayed on the dash of your choice.

drofmij

i have a system for $400 that will monitor both temp and pressures for 4 tires. kit includes the "brain box" and 4 tire sensors.

you must have some sort of dash display. it outputs the data on CAN to be displayed on the dash of your choice.
details??
$260+frt. It is a complete stand alone system pressure/temp for 5 tires. You can adjust the pressure and temp settings to suit. It is rechargeable or can hard wire. It has both audio and visual alerts for alarms.
What is the diameter of the sensor? I am running raceline wheels and it is kinda tight around the valve stem.

johndjmix

Mike, keep me posted on this. We have a AEM CD7 in the truck and love it. Would love a way to do it.

--John

We are working with AEM to add these cheaper sensors that come with a CanBus module. They are like $250 and can talk to a CanBus dash. But AEM didn't have the driver for this set up so they are working on it.

What dash do you have?

We got the TPMS sensor that goes in the wheel thru the valve stem as it has temp and pressure. But then we realized it was a mess to keep track of each wheel. So we went to the style that screws on the valve stem and they seem to work better and way easier to move around. They do not do temp but we found out temp is useless as the brakes heat up the wheel and give a higher reading than just tire air temp.

We have been running the sensors but do not have the info on our dash yet. Its one of the projects we have to do. We are also adding an additional engine dash for the Co driver so they can see the TMPS info as well as all the temps and other info we have on our dash.

BTW- thats a crazy cool pic of the tire.

Mike

dzrt performance

Mike, keep me posted on this. We have a AEM CD7 in the truck and love it. Would love a way to do it.

--John
wait...you shouldnt need a can template from AEM to make it work.

the system publishes its CAN and channel ID's. Not an AEM guy, but you should be able to set up a custom CAN RX message in the dash and make it work.

if not......just another reason why inferior electronics DONT save you money.

MTPyle

DZRT,

You are right. its a pain and if we had Motec it would be done and easy. But for us we cant just spend that kind of money. No way we could have put Motec in when we did our new dash and power management. I would have loved to and talked to James about it but no way to drop that level of cash. So we have to work with the B level stuff. AEM has been really good to us and overall its a great system. is it a Motec, NO its not.

Mike

dzrt performance

DZRT,

You are right. its a pain and if we had Motec it would be done and easy. But for us we cant just spend that kind of money. No way we could have put Motec in when we did our new dash and power management. I would have loved to and talked to James about it but no way to drop that level of cash. So we have to work with the B level stuff. AEM has been really good to us and overall its a great system. is it a Motec, NO its not.

Mike
so how much money did you save on the dash? a c125 is $2180 and C127 is $2680.