Tire pressure monitor system suggestions

MTPyle

Our AEM dash was free. LOL Whipple is an AEM dealer and buys stuff from them so they hooked us up. we also got the 22 channel CAN module, a ton of sensors, Fuel sender, regulator, Fuel pumps, filters, etc.

So there was no way we could have gone with Motec, and all the stuff that goes along with the Motec is expensive. Again do not get me wrong I would do Motec in a heartbeat. I love the stuff. If we were just doing dash and sensors we would have just paid but at the time we just burned the truck and had to replace everything. That repair cost me $60K. That was not the time to get the best of the best for the dash. Haha

Mike

johndjmix

For my truck, a Trophylite, the AEM dash is perfect. Motec is cool and VERY VERY customisable, but for monitoring the AEM works really well. With the GPS model you can get a lot of good data...

--John

JP_JCM

DZRT,

You are right. its a pain and if we had Motec it would be done and easy. But for us we cant just spend that kind of money. No way we could have put Motec in when we did our new dash and power management. I would have loved to and talked to James about it but no way to drop that level of cash. So we have to work with the B level stuff. AEM has been really good to us and overall its a great system. is it a Motec, NO its not.

Mike
A MoTeC Dash is not but a few hundred dollars more than an AEM Dash with far superior functionality and support. i did a 6100 2 months ago with pdm's, 2x c127's, TPMS, extra sensors and all new harnesses for $36,500 OTD

MTPyle

A MoTeC Dash is not but a few hundred dollars more than an AEM Dash with far superior functionality and support. i did a 6100 2 months ago with pdm's, 2x c127's, TPMS, extra sensors and all new harnesses for $36,500 OTD
LOL. Not sure if you are being sarcastic? If you are being serious you just proved my point. The fact that you think $36,500 is a deal is the issue. After our fire at Silverstate last year we did our truck with All new harness, PDM’s, Tpms, all the sensors for under $10k and that’s if we paid for everything which we didn’t. No way we could have spent $36k back then. Especially with all the other stuff we had to buy.

but maybe you are being sarcastic and if so. Haha funny.

Mike

JP_JCM

LOL. Not sure if you are being sarcastic? If you are being serious you just proved my point. The fact that you think $36,500 is a deal is the issue. After our fire at Silverstate last year we did our truck with All new harness, PDM’s, Tpms, all the sensors for under $10k and that’s if we paid for everything which we didn’t. No way we could have spent $36k back then. Especially with all the other stuff we had to buy.

but maybe you are being sarcastic and if so. Haha funny.

Mike
$36k for the system i did is on the low end of the industy as the hardware load out was as follows(2x C127’s with I/O, logging and display creator upgrades, 2x MoTeC pdm 15’s, 1x Keypad 15, 1 Keypad 8, racegrade 4-channel autosport tpms ecu, 12 bf1 systems tyre sensors, plus another 11 chassis sensors for psi/temp). Go do the math on that hardware load out as you did NOT get even close the the quality of components or MILSPEC harnesses done in that vehicle. $10k wont even get you the harnesses and you want to say that your management system is on the same level????

MTPyle

We built the harness ourselves with all Milspec and gorilla sheathing and Deutsch connectors. It’s super strong and has been awesome. I will admit that we added a few things after the original harness build that I was was included in the main harness. But still happy with the system we have.

We have data logging and all devices on PDM. We have 22 sensors as well as all the sensors on the ECU that also go to the dash and data logged. We even have Wideband AFR. We also have 5 mechanical sensors as a back up to the back ups. Every fluid has 3 sensors (2 electronic and 1 mechanicalat different points in the system.

We do high end Hoke automation and I have been in the electronics business for 25 years.

So yes I believe our system is as powerful as the high dollar systems. Only thing we didn’t do is a lot of automation. We wanted complete control of every device the the ability to decide when it worked and the able to shed any device we wanted manually. So every fan is on its own switch. Does put a little more control and work load on driver but being from the automation buisness we did not want any pre programmed scenarios That limited what we could do.

I will admit we may be an outlyer in this regard. As a pilot I want backups, manual control, and lots of data.
750063D7-3683-4D0A-8A6D-E751DBFEDC0B.jpeg

Last edited:

paranoid56

are your switch pros some how hooked up to the aem? I am only in a 5/1600 but also used all spec55 and Deutsch along with dr25 lol. a bit overkill but i like it. I also have 6 autometer gauges but always wondered how a digital dash would look and work lol.

also what is gorilla sheathing ?

Last edited:

MTPyle

The switch pros are not connected to the dash. You can create triggers with them but we decided to keep everything manual. In my opinion there are too many variables and unknown scenarios to have any automation.

Gorilla sheathing is a very very sting netting over the wires. It’s a loom that’s much stronger than heatshrink. It’s a pain to use and takes a lot more time but the overall strength is worth it.

Mike

JP_JCM

Every dash auto trigger can have a manual override if you know how to create the override. Switch pros units are great for a prerunner, but are not meant for a racecar. There are tons of scenarios where automation can save you thousands of dollars when something goes wrong.

paranoid56

Every dash auto trigger can have a manual override if you know how to create the override. Switch pros units are great for a prerunner, but are not meant for a racecar. There are tons of scenarios where automation can save you thousands of dollars when something goes wrong.
what about the switch pro dont you like? just wondering.

MTPyle

We love our switch pro's. They work great and we have had zero issues in a full season of racing with them. We did a few things on install that help performance and reliability. I can't imagine what we would need more. To be honest I was a little worried when we decided to go with them. I had heard its a pre runner system not a race system. But after talking to Switch pro they have a bunch of race trucks with them and now that we have ran them I am 100% sold.

We have really good alarms set on our dash so we know what's happening before it gets too bad. I am sure Motec has tons of great features and again its the best of the best. Just not worth the cost for us. Cost no object I would have all Motec for sure. I would also have a brand new Mason LOL

Mike

JP_JCM

what about the switch pro dont you like? just wondering.
It is not that I don’t like them, they are better than an Spod system by far. They have no CanBus communication network and have an extremely basic trigger logic. More of why they are a prerunner system imo. When they say they are in racecars, they appeal to the super budget type guys(1450 guys mostly). The functionality that you gain by going to a ecumaster, life or MoTeC PDM is huge and worth every penny. Automation with override logic structures, data logging of components being powered through the pdm, ability to force a component to constantly receive power even when it is in a fail/over draw state etc.

EL ROMAN

$260+frt. It is a complete stand alone system pressure/temp for 5 tires. You can adjust the pressure and temp settings to suit. It is rechargeable or can hard wire. It has both audio and visual alerts for alarms.
How long does the battery last on a charge? This is very affordable and can use it for the trailer tires, too. Would be nice if the monitor lasted at least 4-5 hours, so there's one less thing pulling power. Only thing to worry about is room around the valve stem and using them on rubber stems (can't use steel ones on my wheels).

RNowlin

How long does the battery last on a charge? This is very affordable and can use it for the trailer tires, too. Would be nice if the monitor lasted at least 4-5 hours, so there's one less thing pulling power. Only thing to worry about is room around the valve stem and using them on rubber stems (can't use steel ones on my wheels).
Not sure on the battery life. I hard wired mine. It comes with a 12v acc. plug in but i cut it and wired direct. I did forget to turn it off one night and it was still on in the morning so lasts a while, different models can do up to 38 wheel positions. On my race car i have them on short rubber 412 valve stems and have not had any issues.