• Forum membership has its advantages....

Tire Pressure

Bolca_Grande_II

We are switching over to BF Goodrich Baja TA's on our class 10 car. There is a wide range of opinions out there on what tire pressure is best. Is it best to run a little firmer to avoid flats? Do you run them a little softer for more grip? I know the other variable would depend on what race you are attending but I would like to get a general consensus. How about it what's your opinion on the correct tire pressure?

Bolca Grande II (Phil)

mgobaja

I once heard Tom Koch saying he ran 50lbs in his tires to prevent flats. Seems kinda high though. I would think in a race where you know that there was going to be lots of sand washes it might be better to run them a little softer though.

frankh

Tom runs his at 35 lbs , we run them there to. you may get to much bit with them air down , depend on engine and trans. our 12 car we run 35 lbs because of engine size. on our 5 unlimited we run 35 lbs shaved to save the bus box.

pciscott

On our Protruck we run 35lbs when in Nevada or where there are lots of sharp rocks. In Baja we ran 28 lbs at the 1000 and I've run them as low as 24. They hook up much better in the sand with less air. One time we got stuck at a San Felipe race and had to air down the tires to about 8lbs. The car hooked up great and went 100 miles to the finish line. The less air the easier the side walls cut so be careful in the rocks. Good luck! BFG's are great tires and there support is unmatched!

God Bless America

Scott Steinberger Trophy Truck #7

Waldo

Safehouse
I second Scott's notion of airing down! I had to air down my tires down by zoo road. When I got unstuck my sidewall hit a bush and it punctured it good. Be careful the lower you go!

BRAAAAAAAAP!

Bolca_Grande_II

Thank you Scott and Frank for your responses. I find it interesting that both of you run the same tire pressure in two totally different race cars. I am no expert and that is the reason for my post. I thought there would be a wider range of opinions? I guess 35 lbs is the magic number? We run a little less and have not had many flats? Does anyone else run anything different than 35 lbs?

Bolca Grande II

JCA

I ran about the same in my tires as well. I had the Baja TA tires on my old prerunner. They dig in the washes and are no fun in the rain. If you end up on a road section during the rain keep that in mind.

J.C. Andrews
Andrews Racing
www.andrewsracing.com

Chris_Wilson

We run 32lbs with Project T/A's on a 5500# cls 8. No flats in the 99 1000 or Baja 2000.
Got flats at 28psi in the 98 1000 in a heavier 6000# class 8. 28psi might work fine
in a lighter car like cls 10.

JasonHutter

We have been running 30psi and haven't had any flats in 6 races on our 33x10.50 15 Baja T/A's.

Steve_Sourapas

I believe their is not exact answer but their are a few factors you should consider,how much does the car weigh,what kind of rims do you run,tubeless or tubes,how much bite do you want(transmission).What I run can vary from car to car and race to race.For example at the Primm I will run at least 5-8 lbs more in the front because of the rocks.Also if you run Ultra Rims you need to run more air pressure to protect the rim cause it won't bend like a centerline.On my class one car now that I have four 35" BFG Projects I run 28 lbs in the rear and 30 lbs in the front.When I used to race in class 10 I ran no more than 24 lbs in the rear with 33' BFG's but my car was a very light single seat Chenowth 1000 and about 30 lbs. in the front.Hope that helps!

BEERMAN

Uncle_Bob

On our Protruck we run 35lbs when in Nevada or where there are lots of sharp rocks. In Baja we ran 28 lbs at the 1000 and I've run them as low as 24. They hook up much better in the sand with less air. One time we got stuck at a San Felipe race and had to air down the tires to about 8lbs. The car hooked up great and went 100 miles to the finish line. The less air the easier the side walls cut so be careful in the rocks. Good luck! BFG's are great tires and there support is unmatched!

God Bless America

Scott Steinberger Trophy Truck #7
Well, that explains why I went through 5 brand new tires this weekend at the MORE ORAF 400 running them at 24psi on a 5,000 lb truck with 4 tires with sidewall problems and one blow out and it also looked like it could have possibly been a sidewall as well!

Anyone else with problems? I'd like to hear about them please.

AaronCooper

I once heard Tom Koch saying he ran 50lbs in his tires to prevent flats. Seems kinda high though. I would think in a race where you know that there was going to be lots of sand washes it might be better to run them a little softer though.
Woah! 50 psi? Toms a joker, I could see him saying that.. Tire pressure mostly stays in the 32-38 psi range, depending on the race..