Tire question???

SJP12

Reaction
I'm looking for a set of 31" tires for my S-10, I'm looking at the following tires and was wondering on what everybody thinks,

BFG MUD, GooDyear MTR, Procomp Xterrin, Yokahama Geolander, BFG baja's.

What kinda millige can these tires above get? How do they work in SAND, SNOW, DIRT, MUD and for daily pavement pounding?

Thanks for the imput.

If youve never been scared your going to slow

SDranger

Reaction
I'd have to say the BFG muds. thats what ive allways run and never had any probs. They do tend to dig into the sand unless aired down tho.I'll be happy if i get 25k outta them but im sure ill get more. some people said like 40k or so. Wouldnt recommend the baja for a daily driver unless you like flat spots in the morning. Ive heard good things about the Geolanders and mtr's but never had any realy experience.

97 Ranger 4x4
02 CR125

michael_loomis

Reaction
i have BFG all terrians and i would recommend them for any truck where street driving will be atleast 50% . my trucks a one legged dog and ive never had a traction problem with them. mudders tend to get very noisy as they wear since they wear so un-even. same with bajas, except there heavy and rob power. goodyears and yokos are a decent tire also.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
As far as I'm concerned, there are only two requirements for the desert - BFG's on a Ford! Anything else just won't work as well!!

But seriously, the BFG All-Terrains are great tires that you won't have any problems with.

See ya in the dirt!

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I have BFG Muds...if you hit the dirt a lot..especially Barstow you will be lucky to get 15k out of them. I have had a set on my truck since last November and it is already time for a new set.

I used to have BFG ATs and they go a lot longer or at least it seemed.

If you go Procomp go with teh ATs or the Muds...not the X terrain.

BFG bajas are an awesome tire but are heavy. If you have low horsepower dont bother. A guy on our team took a second hand set of them with 30k+ and put another 15-20k on them.

If you can hook up the Goodyear MTR race tire (not the protruck tire, the good race tire)...go with that, if not dont bother with the MTRs...too expensive and I have seen a set wasted in one trip where they were not even abused.

Mud tires are usually not the best for snow or so I was told when I did research on tires a while back, but it all depends on your driving style.

Kris
"I was thinking the exact same thing about you..."

shrek

Reaction
I only have three suggestions: MTR, MTR, and MTR.

They have been the best tires I have ever owned. I drive alot of highway and street miles between work and racing and I had a set of MTR's that lasted about 60,000 miles. Believe it or not!!! They are excellent in Sand, I towed a 40' motorhome that was sunk to the frame rails in Lucerne sand out with my F-150 with MTR's!!! There were several bets against the F-150, by the way. I have also been through terrain while racing in MDR that I thought I would never get out of without destroying a tire or a flat and they came out with flying colors. In the 60,000 miles that I had on them, I only had two flats the whole time I owned them. I put those tires through hell between towing the race truck to the race and towing jeepspeeds up the sandhill in Lucerne and they never let me down. I just got a new set and I bumped up to 33"'s and they are awesome!!! I dont have any experience with them and snow, but every other application they are great in!!! I have also owned BFG's on a jeep quite some time ago, and I was happy with them, but after having the MTR's I will never go back. They are a little pricey, but they are definitely worth it!!

MTR's have also been great to us racing them also.

"They should not be called Goodyears, they should be called Greatyears"
not my quote, but i thought it was pretty good!!

Good Luck

Matt

Racing isn't everything.............it's the only thing!!!

YZFster

Reaction
I have had a set of all tires listed and you guys forgot one Maxxis Mudder...I got 65000 miles out of them and they cost about 50-60 dollars cheaper than all the rest.....I will never get anything else...They work just as good if not better......just my thought......

Go Big or stay there.

Bryan_D

Reaction
Well I have ran both the MTRs, BFG Mudders, All-terrain, and currently Bajas, Supposedly the Bajas are only 4lbs heavier per tire than a mud in a 33x12.5 but I dont think thats true. Go with the bfg muds and you will be happy on the road. The bajas rock when I am in the dirt but on the road the bias likes to track, rides like crap and yes I even get wonderful flat spots in the morning. So stay with a radial and go withthe muds. The MTRs are great for rock crawling but thats about it. Good Luck.

bajaruner11

Reaction
SJP12. You have to ask yourself what type of terrain you will be on most of the time. Most people buy mud tires because it looks cool but actually they don't work as good as a all terrain. there's only one place a mud tire is better, and that's in the mud. Go to WWW.BFGOODRICHTIRES.COM and click on the buggy at the bottom of "choose your style". There you will be able to do a comparison test of all three tires you ask about, and you will find the all terrain out performs the rest by a long shot overall. Unless your running baja or lots of mud go with the A/T.

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
BFG only!! Mud or AT are good, and I think that the mudders work the best in all around conditions.

"Those who risk nothing, are nothing."

JasonHutter

Reaction
I run BFG AT's and do a lot of on road and snow driving (we do a lot of that here in Snowmass Village, CO. as a matter-of-fact, today!) I have been getting a lot of miles out of them, and when we use my truck at the races for pre-running or chasing, we haven't had any problems. We do race with the Baja TA's and love them as long as you keep your speed up through the deep sand and silt.

Jason

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
AT's work well, but Muds work better, and you dont get much more milage out of the AT's, so why get them, is the way I look at it.

PLS

Reaction
I've never run the Muds, but an earlier poster on this thread said he would be happy with 25K miles and maybe 40K max. I've been getting 60-70K on my AT's. That is a good reason to go with AT's on a daily driving, multi-use vehicle. They've always worked good for me.
Pete- BOYD RACING

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Hey Matt how much did YOU pay for the Goodyears?I will rant and rave about them too if I get a set at that cost!! Go BFG. I may only get 15-20k out of a set but I ran another brand tire and went through 3 in one trip that had digs beyond repair in the tread....never once happened with the BFGs and they have more offroad miles.

Kris
"I was thinking the exact same thing about you..."

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
60-70k is awesome! You must run them till they blow. I wish I could get that kind of mileage from AT's.

YotaWhoopRunner

Reaction
Has anyone used the "Big O" Mud terrains? I remember the salesman telling me that if I ever trashed the tire offroading "except intentionally with a knife" that the warranty would get me a new tire. They said that I would get a pro-rate with a bfg, but if you go with their house tire that it would be a new one. I stuck with BFG, but if they are decent and I can keep getting new ones after a year or two....maybe I can keep mooching off the warranty?

JasonHutter

Reaction
I had those for a year or two with studs in them. I did try out the warrenty you are talking about and they do give you a new tire if the tread is in decent shape for free. The tire was ok but pretty darn expensive for what you get. Also mud tires just aren't the best in snow unless you get them syped (sp?).

Jason

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
I was forced to buy some big-o's on a desert trip cuase they were the only 35's in stock in brawley/el centro. They hooked up well in the dirt but were not round. On the street it felt like the lug nuts were loose! When I returned from the trip I whined to My local dealer and they replaced them for free. The second set also wobbled. The third set was liveable. When they were about 50% gone I had enough money to replace them with BFG's..........

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
I currently drive on Big O Bigfoot XT's on my F-150. They are an awesome tire and have worn very well. I only do mild/moderate off-roading with my truck but they have held up great. Aired down in the sand worked for me and have douched around in the mud a little too. I have over 25K miles on them and will probably get another 25K from the looks of it.

They do have a great warranty but are too damn expensive. The main reason I bought them is because a friend of mine was a manager at one of their shops. However, he no longer works there and I am trying to purchase a spare tire and wheel of the same size (285/75x16). A guy at Big O quoted me $199 for one freakin tire!!! I don't think so. I am going to pick up a different tire, probably one that I will complement with four more the next time I need a set.

BRAAAAAAAAP!