tired of "searching"...

bajafoolin'

Reaction
I have spent too many hours searching the archives of this forum and I don't feel like spending three hours again. I need to start bookmarking the good stuff when I find it.

I went to ORW to buy the heim adapter pins that go in the spindle. They dont fit my spindle. I was expecting a SAW (see attachment) part but turns out it is Foddrill. It is for 5/8" ID heim and the other end it tapered and at its largest is slightly larger than the 5/8. I didn't have time to measure anything but the hole on the spindle is too small. Why is that? I figure one of two things: I got the wrong size adapter pin; or I need different spindles.

Also, how do I get the needle bearings out of the beam?

Does anyone have a jig for their beam? I was thinking about making one before I cut the beam so I always know its straight and hold it while working on it. I have plan for it, not sure if its any good? any pictures?

thanks in advance

Haney motorsports

Reaction
The pins are to adapt your steering rack to heims,not the spindle.Just Drill the spindle hole using a 5/8 bit and run grade 8 or better though bolt,the heims should be a high misalign.Doug969 can answer all your questions...he makes beams and spindles for what ever application you need and is reasonable,PM him good luck

ACME

Reaction
To put the "adapter pins" in you your spindles you need to ream the spindle with a tapered bit to the correct size/depth. Doug, Joel Mohr, Lothringer, Solo Motorsports & Warren Messick can all do it, you just need the tools and the knowledge. PS don't ream them too deep, been there/done that...

3 Amigos Racing

Reaction
To put the "adapter pins" in you your spindles you need to ream the spindle with a tapered bit to the correct size/depth. Doug, Joel Mohr, Lothringer, Solo Motorsports & Warren Messick can all do it, you just need the tools and the knowledge. PS don't ream them too deep, been there/done that...
huh huh,, you said ream.

mrmatt

Reaction
yeah....ream

bajafoolin'

Reaction
The pins are to adapt your steering rack to heims,not the spindle.Just Drill the spindle hole using a 5/8 bit and run grade 8 or better though bolt,the heims should be a high misalign.
how would a tapered pin go in my rack? I got the rack for 5/8 heims anyways. I have HRSMX heims already.

So I guess I have to go bother the machinist at work some more.

I am set on learning how do to all of this on my own. Doug you have always been my backup plan, thanks for chiming in. I have another front end in case I screw up.

thanks to all.

doug969

Reaction
I have a used front end that is in great shape spindle to spindle if you need it. Thanks

Haney motorsports

Reaction
Then your set.....I wouldnt use the pins anyways,there known to break just setting under tension.Drill out the spindle yourself(you can do it on the car)and pick up the high misalign inserts for the heims

ACME

Reaction
how would a tapered pin go in my rack? I got the rack for 5/8 heims anyways. I have HRSMX heims already.

thanks to all.
Some racks are built with the taper where the heims go as opposed to through bolts. The original "Challenger" rules of 1953: Page 96, subsection D, part 4-3rd paragraph, required a stock VW steering box/tie rods, than it changed to any automotive rack/box and where the Pinto/Vega and the Chevy boxes emerged but alas they still needed Tie Rod ends per the rules which required the taper per their design. In the end is was basically an adapter to allow you to use heims which the bigger cars with longer arms needed so they didn't get steering bind which the the Ford/Int tie rod ends exhibited. Not really needed in a class 9 but they're cooler. Ream...

9rocky

Reaction
Some racks are built with the taper where the heims go as opposed to through bolts. The original "Challenger" rules of 1953: Page 96, subsection D, part 4-3rd paragraph, required a stock VW steering box/tie rods, than it changed to any automotive rack/box and where the Pinto/Vega and the Chevy boxes emerged but alas they still needed Tie Rod ends per the rules which required the taper per their design. In the end is was basically an adapter to allow you to use heims which the bigger cars with longer arms needed so they didn't get steering bind which the the Ford/Int tie rod ends exhibited. Not really needed in a class 9 but they're cooler. Ream...
There you have it. Direct from a old dwarf that has seen a lot in his day, and been reamed a time or two. The history of heims on 9 cars as taken from the ancient scrolls of Lech Walesa and translated into modern day english for all to see. Thanks Jefe!

ACME

Reaction
My pleasure. FYI, I think your president is doing a bang up job! Will you be at the NAACP mixer this evening or is this the weekend you're doing the JDL car wash? Incidently the information was gleaned from the combined personal journals of Kosciuszko, Copernicus and Pulaski and passed from generation to generation... I have to go hide under my bridge now ;)

9rocky

Reaction
My pleasure. FYI, I think your president is doing a bang up job! Will you be at the NAACP mixer this evening or is this the weekend you're doing the JDL car wash? Incidently the information was gleaned from the combined personal journals of Kosciuszko, Copernicus and Pulaski and passed from generation to generation... I have to go hide under my bridge now ;)

No need to get personal, jeez! By the way, he is no longer "my president" under any circumstances. That crap went out the window on day 2.

BTW, this is what happened to a brutha on the way home from the last mixer...

Attachments

ACME

Reaction
Sorry to push your buttons Kev! He will go down in history with alongside your other heros and great American icons: Arnie Kantrowitz, Paul Reubens, Alan Klein, Larry Kramer, Paris Hilton, Andy Warhol and Johnathan Katz! Again my apologies ;)

9rocky

Reaction
Sorry to push your buttons Kev! He will go down in history with alongside your other heros and great American icons: Arnie Kantrowitz, Paul Reubens, Alan Klein, Larry Kramer, Paris Hilton, Andy Warhol and Johnathan Katz! Again my apologies ;)
By the way, is the next meeting at the same place??

Attachments