• Forum membership has its advantages....

Tires and wheels

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
I am going to be purchasing some new tires and wheels in the next couple of weeks and I need some info. Should I go with A/Ts or M/Ts. I like the new 33 10.5 muds but hear that the all terrains handle better than the muds. Just need some experienced opinions. I like the muds becasue they look better, but I am trying to get some reasoned arguments for or against these. I am set on BFGs cause I can hopefully get them from my neighbor for next to nothing. I have heard that running the Bajas on a truck that sees mostly street is not a good idea. Why? I think Bajas look bitchin and are proven winners and would really like them on my truck, but I have heard so many times not to run them on the street.

Some opinions on the goodyear Muds would be good too.

Is a 10.5 as wide as I want to go with stock length beams? Is anybody running 12.5s on stock bent beams? Do they hit the buckets or coil at bottoming? How about rubbing on the radius arm?

I was looking at 285/75/16 which are 11.5 wide and was wondering if those might be a good choice.

Just wondering what size and tread people rec. for a ranger?

I also wanted to know what wheel backspacing I should look for in a new set of wheels? I have a problem with the factory wheel backspacing allowing my tire to hit my bucket and reservoir before hitting my bumpstop. I also want little wider (1-2") stance and that is a cheap way to get it.

What are some other wheels people are using besides outlaw 2s and bajas? I am trying not to have what everybody else does.

Thanks

Kris

When in doubt, GAS IT!

JasonHutter

I am running the 33" A/T's on my Toyota. They have been an awsome tire. I live in Snowmass Village, CO. That means we have snow for about 9 months out of the year, and they do great in the snow. I drove the same truck from here down to Cabo and back last Nov. and many more miles, and the tread is holding out like a champ. Through the desert, I haven't had a problem at all. They grip well, and I haven't flatted yet. As far as the Baja's on the street, the only experience I have with that is short trips on the street with our race truck. The rubber in these tires tend to ball up instead of grip to well on the street. You won't here the tire squeel like other tires, meaning not as much traction on the street. Oh yeah, Baja TA's don't go anywhere in the snow and ice!

Jason
Fire Guys Racing

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Well I guess I will x out the bajas since i am in the mountains almost every weekend in the winter and I hate putting chains on.

Keep the comments coming

Kris

When in doubt, GAS IT!

ntsqd

I bought a $500 Cherokee (civilized except for the tires but you won't feel bad hosing beer barf out of it) that came with a set of 33-12.50 Baja T/A race truck take-offs on it. As bad or worse than a set of bias plies. I thot it was becasue they are worn out, but I'm told that they're like that new. They hunt, they tramline, they are square after sitting for any period (kinda cool going bethump, bethump, bethump, for about all of about two times then it's old), and I've teased that if the 'Kee were my ho I'd be getting rich just from the lap dances. MHO anyway.

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee

scott

Baja T/A's are great. I had some on my Toyota when I owned it. They where 33x10.50-15, and they hooked up great. If you go with a AT your going to get better wear than the MT's, If you do more driving on the street than in the dirt.

vwguy

i worked on a ranger that had bent beams with fiberglass and 33x10.5 all terrains were fine
the only complaint i have is that if you have no bed and no weight on the back the tires will come loose in corners and spin very easily if you try to burnout i got those to go 1 through 3 on asphalt and 1 through overdrive on the dirt before it hooked up
i reccomend mud terrains for any truck more

how ironic is it that most people slow down for speed bumps yet almost all of us here im sure pin it

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
I've read that the Baja TA's were bias ply... I think off-road.com put a set of 37" Baja TA's on their Expeditions, and their article talked about using them on the street. I'd go with the All-Terrains, I've got 'em on my Explorer (just stock size for now, when I up to 35's I'll go with either Goodyear MT/Rs or another set of BFG AT's) and I've got no complaints. Someone mentioned that the AT's wouldn't grab, that might be a problem with a pickup truck with a cut away bed and all, but I haven't had that problem with my SUV.

David - No one of consequence.

Jimmy8

I personally would go with the Goodyear MTR's. I have two different friend that have put the 33's on their f150's. They work really well, look really good and where real well. One of my friends has a set that has been on his truck for almost a year. He drives it every day, and it sees the dirt every weekend, and they have no sign of wear. I know BFG mudders dont where for s%$#. The other friend has had his for 6 months, also without any where, and their is no road noise either. They are by far one of the best tires on the market, and if you can get a set of the race version, instead of the street, youll be even better off.

DPpatrol

The BFG Mudders on my toyota have worn great. They're over a year old and the tread is barely worn at all. The truck is my daily driver and see a lot of dirt. Great tire. They off course don't have as traction on the street as a road tire, but it's nothing to complain about. My only complaint about them is that in loose sand the knarly tread just digs a hole and buries the tire. If you're gonna doing a lot of stuff in the sand I'd go with A/T.

jason

jeff

I strongly disagree with the comment that BFG Muds don't wear well - I had over 50,000 mountain miles on a set of 31" muds a few years ago. I've never had a flat with any of the BFG tires on my own personal vehicles - yeah I dodge pointy rocks and stay away from campsites... The worst mileage I ever got out of a set of muds was 30,000 - that included a bunch of dry asphalt sideways action and daily commuting up and down highway 18. I do agree with their sand manners - however when they are properly aired down they do just fine. Just about any quality tire made today is going to wear well and live reasonably well on and off-road. Remember the old Goodyear MT's? Those were terrible - the new MTR is 9000% better than the last attempt. Anyone running the Parellis? <sp>?

Aloha

mustafa

I had this same conversation with the BFG rep at the expo yesterday and I came to the conclusion that the A/T would be the best all-around choice. He stated that the
Baja's were not very good on the street and the Mudder's (in the hands of someone with a leadfoot) would dig very easily in the sand. The best overall choice for street,
desert, sand, longevity and noise is the A/T.

He who lives by the sword, gets shot by those who don't.

BradM

I ran 33x12.5 BFG MTs on my truck for two years and never had a problem. They are good on the road and in the dirt. In the sand, they only work if you air down. They are also pretty quite on the street except for very slow speeds. As for wear, I had about 20k on them when I sold the truck and they still looked to have better than half the tread. I only popped one tire in Barstow and it was due to a very sharp rock. It was a shame, I only had about 200 miles on it when I cut it. I patched it and kept if for a spare.

Build 'em light, wind 'em tight

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
I have got the pirellis right now and they are decent. I want to go to a bigger tire and a tire that looks
more aggressive. Thats why I like the MTs or the bajas

Kris

When in doubt, GAS IT!

scott

I had a set of 37's Goodyear ATS's and got 40,000 + miles out of them, very impressive. But when your in Mexico, and there's no Goodyear Rigs around down there, and BFG says your on your own, it makes you think.