Tires for rally racing

CanyonMan

Can anybody suggest tires for rally racing? Brand, type, sizes,etc... I am thinking of building a budget rally car such as an old toyota celica, supra, bmw, etc... Any info on wheels would be great also.

Lyrch

Marshall

Lyrch,
You can get used rally tires pretty cheap. Look on some of the rally sites like www.specialstage.com under the classifieds.Most guys run a 15inch rim but they do make 14 and 13. If your looking for new they sell Kumho rally tires on TireRack.com. for around a hundred a peice. I have heard of some people using cooper winter tires but could be a bit thin walled for the west. I use 14inch BFG AT and have had really good luch with them but would most likely be to big for your ride. The toy your thinking of building has been around awhile and Im sure there is tons of info on them out there, just keep asking and diging im sure you will find plenty of info. Good luck, Marshall

CanyonMan

I was actually thinking of running a snow tire initially. It seemed it would have the best overall performance of different terrains due to their design. I figured an A/T would be a little too big and rough riding.

Lyrch

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Aren't snow tire suppose to be thinner in order to "slice" through the snow? On the WRC cars they look real thin.

See ya in the dirt!

CanyonMan

I've seen some pretty fat snow tires on sports cars. I think you can even get them in 17" diameteres. It 's the tread pattern that makes them a snow tire.

Lyrch

Marshall

I dont think a standard snow tire can take the rocks. As far as the AT being rough riding the Rally tires have sidewalls almost twice as thick, ride isnt really a factor but flats are a concern. Just my two cents, MW