• Forum membership has its advantages....

Tires & Llantas

Michael Cohen

Greetings Fellow Swingers,

Old time 9'er first time poster here, Michael Cohen. Started desert racing in Class 9 in 1987 and loved it. Had a great time meeting great people and friendships that are still strong today. Since then, I have raced in nearly all of the classes and have always loved the spirit of limited buggy racing. I can say that it taught me how to drive smoothly and efficiently as I progressed into faster more technologically advanced classes.

The double digit amount of entries in Class 9 at the MORE & SNORE races has recently perked my interest in Class 9 again. I'm a longtime Buggy Dork and always root for the limited class health. I remember the big Class 9 shootout several years back and supporting the effort with my then business Racer X Motorsports. IIRC, I think it was Dave Bolles who approached us and we gladly obliged.

I was fired up to go Class 9 racing after that event and run a car out of our biz for the employees. However, they were truck dorks and could not imagine racing anything with single digit travel. Oh, well, there loss LOL.

Curious as to the following if you would care to chime in.

1. What Mfg. & Model Tire are you running for desert events?

2. What is the cost of said tire (approximately excluding taxes)?

3. What are the real true mounted dimensions of the tire and on what size rim?

Pic below is of me and my sister at a Fud event in Plaster City back when cameras actually had film and my pre-runner Baja Bug played these things called cassette tapes :)

Thanks again!
Michael Cohen

Raceco 9.jpg

Michael Cohen

BUMP!!! Come on guys!?! Crickets??? 120+ views but no responses?
Any input would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks again!
Mike

Kaleb

yokohama super diggers are most popular for rear tires, they are roughly 250$ per tire, as far as i know they are 33 inch tires when mounted and air up, wheel is a 15inch steel wheel

Michael Cohen

yokohama super diggers are most popular for rear tires, they are roughly 250$ per tire, as far as i know they are 33 inch tires when mounted and air up, wheel is a 15inch steel wheel
Thanks Kaleb!

Good to hear the Yoko SD III is still a popular tire. I used those on the rear and the 7.00 x 15 LT Highway tire on the front. However, in 1992, the Yoko's were $129! Time$ have changed! LOL

Kaleb

yes they have! i have spare parts along with a few rear and front tires, if you need anything just send me a direct message

ACME

Hola Mike, old swingers never go away huh... Yoks and Mickeys have been the choice for yrs with a few guys in Mexico that run BFG's as always. The Mickey fronts are another good option to the tractions and trailer tires and as with everything cost has gone up and finding 1/2 1600 takeoff's the ticket. It's still custom/commercial wheels with the same old 4 or 5 lug debate. Still a few from the era that occasionally come on here: Mohr, Wagner, McDonald Sr, Richardson Jr and some others that will remember the FUD, La Rana, HDRA days. Be good!

Michael Cohen

Hola Mike, old swingers never go away huh... Yoks and Mickeys have been the choice for yrs with a few guys in Mexico that run BFG's as always. The Mickey fronts are another good option to the tractions and trailer tires and as with everything cost has gone up and finding 1/2 1600 takeoff's the ticket. It's still custom/commercial wheels with the same old 4 or 5 lug debate. Still a few from the era that occasionally come on here: Mohr, Wagner, McDonald Sr, Richardson Jr and some others that will remember the FUD, La Rana, HDRA days. Be good!
Hi Jeff,

Great to hear from you and thinks for the input. I really liked the MT's on the 12 car in really sandy races and they look to be good for Class 9 as well. Are the front MT's tough enough? What pressure would you suggest.

Yes, as for wheels C&C Ray is good people. I have seen on some threads that C&C is limiting their offering. Is that true or was that an old thread?

Has anyone ever run the Pacer steel wheels?

Maybe we need a Class 9 Legends class like TT? Just kidding LOL!
Thanks again!