TIRES

poolman

Reaction
Which would you use16 inch wheels or 16.5 inch on a newer truck.One was preferred over the other but I forget why?

You only live once,and if you lived like I have, once is enough.Frank Sinatra

ntsqd

Reaction
16.5's are the old std, 16's and 17's are the new. A couple reasons for this, larger diamter tire with same sidewall height means more precise steering than with the large OD and a 15" rim, and bigger brake rotors now fit. It also allows more latitude in lower BJ placement, I don't know if that's being taken advantage of or not. I'm sure others can address that part.

TS

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee

jeff

Reaction
Another thing I thought I might add. The 16.5" wheel and tire for the most part is a utility size and is used on heavy duty applications that see heavy hauling or towing loads. Think heavy, not just a few dirtbikes in the back or towing a boat to the river heavy... REALLY (industrial) heavy. If I remember correctly the 16.5" wheels have a different bead mounting angle (I think it's 15 degrees) that is designed to reduce the amount of stress on the tire/wheel lips when carrying heavy loads - I would imagine a bead with less angle would be able to disperse the load over a wider are and would be less concentrated. The downside to this improved load carrying capability is the reduction in bead retention. A 16.5" wheel doesn't hold a tire on as well as the other 15, 16, or 17" sizes at the same pressures... and airing down with a 16.5" wheel/tire is just asking for trouble. If the vehicle is going to see conditions that require low pressures and good bead retention I'd avoid the 16.5 wheels and tires.

Aloha

Ryno

Reaction
Just an add on to Jeff's post...I have run 16.5" tires down to about 20psi. Lower and they generally unseat themselves from the rim. However, cost wise, 16 and 17" tires are about 30% more expensive. If you are looking for a 5 or 6 lug 16.5" rim, you're going to be going to Weld, Centerline, or another high end manufacturer. I haven't seen any ARW wheels that are 16.5" with a 5 or 6 lug pattern. All of them are 8 lug for the 3/4 and 1 ton applications.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
The abve is true, this is because all wheels with a half inch, ie: 14.5, 15.5, 16.5 etc have a tapered seat for the bead, where as standard size, 15, 16, etc have a seat that is 90 degrees. this is why you can't put a 14.5 tire on a 15 inch wheel. It will fit, but go to air it up and...BOOM. I've seen this happen at the tire shop i used to work at. but this tapered seat half inch wheels and tires have, is what makes them so you can't air them down.

later, Jaron

jeff

Reaction
What is the exact taper degree for the 16.5" wheels... Is it 15 degrees less than the standard 16" wheels? Thanks - it'll clear up my muddled memory.

Aloha

poolman

Reaction
Thanks for the info guys,poolman

Junior

Reaction
Pooldude, you know that I air down my tires frequently while running the beach. Usually 12 to 15 lbs. Never lost a bead yet. You must consider however I don't do alot of high speed cornering in my F-350 double cab!

When is your Brand Spankin New Super Duty going to arrive? I suggest you contact Kreg immediately to discuss you suspension options!

Junior
HAZLO EN GRANDE
O Mejor Regresa A Casa

poolman

Reaction
already have!