Titanuim Tubing

garage_runner81

hi.... wondering if anyone knws a could place to get Ti tube... 2-3" dia. its for a friend who wants some special intake work. what grade of Ti tubing would i need? ive looked around the net a lil and most places dnt have tube that big in diameter, and i dnt knw what grade to get and what the differences are... thanks for any help

loufish

Ti is kind of like aluminum in that pure Ti like aluminum is not very strong but very good at corrosion resistance, and picks up strength from alloying....Kind of "gummy" to machine...

Welding it is the tricky part, need a trailing cup minimum....

California MiniTruck

I worked on Titanium on GE F-404 and F-414 in F-18 motors for years. I had to take them apart and fix every thing inside. My experience with it is that it is to frail for automotive stuff that stuff breaks easy. Don't get me wrong this stuff is tuffer than nails(it has a very hard property) I guess depending on what your using it for. What are you trying to build out of Ti tubing?

mpower

you might want to try inconel instead

http://www.burnsstainless.com/InconelTube/inconeltube.html

or call burns and ask , im shure they have a source fo it. i could have sworn they used to carry it about 5 years back

try tube service co , or call mcmasterrcarr and see if they can find it. they carry it up to 1" so im shure they could source it for you , their pertty helpful with trying to find difficult items

Dezertpilot

Inconel is soooooo heavy!!!!!!

garage_runner81

-ya ive been doing some research on welding ti... seems like u gta keep it perfectly clean and use the lowest heat possible...

- a friend of mine wants a intake pipe made for his car.. i already did it out of aluminum but he's changing some things on it.

- i think the tube is about 3"... i havent seen anything that big in Ti so i dunno...

thanks guys

racer56

You will find it on Ebay.

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
-ya ive been doing some research on welding ti... seems like u gta keep it perfectly clean and use the lowest heat possible...

- a friend of mine wants a intake pipe made for his car.. i already did it out of aluminum but he's changing some things on it.

- i think the tube is about 3"... i havent seen anything that big in Ti so i dunno...

thanks guys
How hot will it be getting in the area of this intake pipe? Ti gets very brittle when it's hot if I remember correctly. If it gets to hot it might end up cracking over time and end up being a problem down the road.

garage_runner81

-ahh.. yes ive heard that. im not sure. its a civic, the one on the new falken tire ad.

- ebay actually seems to be a pretty good source for diff Ti pieces.... thanks

mikeyfrombc

ti must have some corrosive and high heat propertys yrs back in did a job for a company that made these laminated SS and Ti plate for some reacture. i know in dragracing TI is used for intake and exhaust valves in alot of application , in turbo set-ups they use Ti intake and Inconel exhaust , same with motor with heavy nitrous use

Chase 2

I've seen jet engine turbine blades made from Ti. You guys realize that there are varying grades/types of Ti just like stainless steel or aluminum....right???

loufish

I've seen jet engine turbine blades made from Ti. You guys realize that there are varying grades/types of Ti just like stainless steel or aluminum....right???
That's what I was trying to say in my first post...and just like aluminum when you alloy Ti you can get some very high strength Alpha and Beta alloys.

When you're making an exhaust system out of .045" S/Steel and then do the same out if Ti I'm not sure the small weight saving is really worth the cost and hassle...

Was on a team where the driver/owner was so concerned about reducing the weight of the vehicle, we were using aluminum nuts and bolts in non-critical areas and some crazy machining of parts....Finally I flat out told him it was easier for him to lose some of his 60 lbs overweight then for me to continue to go crazy fabbing up wild-ass stuff all night to lighten the car!

garage_runner81

-very nice pictures!! love the last one...

- as for that pic of the custom intake! awesome custom work. lol actually a couple friends were thinking the same thing but out of Joose cans.. crazy

- yea there are alot of diff types of Ti... and u need the right filler rod... alot of thinking... lol