TM261 - naming freqs ?

ntsqd

Reaction
So I follow the directions (yea, I know...) for naming a freq stored in memory and I get nada, zip, zilch. Did a search going back a year, which didn't answer this Q.

What am I missing ? I dimly recall that there was an addendum to the instructions that must have gotten pitched as I can't find it.

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

Kbach66

Reaction
I remember that too...there was additional page stuffed into the manual.

On another note...how does the Kenwood 261a compare to the Icom IC-2000h?
I've been looking into a new radio, and read all the posts from about a year ago that dealt with kenwood mods, but only saw very little on the Icom.
Anybody have any input on pros and cons of each?

mgobaja

Reaction
Well i have programmed a few of the icoms with my computer and they are very simple to do. Right now they are on sale for $ 150 from Ham Radio Outlet. They do require a modification to work in the race frequency range. I have a source to get this done. PM me if you are interested. From what I have heard they are very comparable in Quality an function. The Kenwood mod is a simple cut of a wire and the icom is desoldering and removing an electrical part.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by mgobaja on 02/16/03 01:39 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

TimHayosh

Reaction
Here is a link to "naming" your memories pre-sets on the 261-A www.mods.dk has pretty much every radio and mod known.

Lastly, I have done the 2100H mod. It entails desoldering a surface mount resistor. It's no big deal. Follow the instructions: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mods.dk/mods.php3?radio=icom&model=ic-2100&selectid=310#310>http://www.mods.dk/mods.php3?radio=icom&model=ic-2100&selectid=310#310</A>

Happy motoring, Tim

ntsqd

Reaction
Thanks Tim. Step 4 appears to be what is missing from my manual.

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

Crayfish

Reaction
I use the TM261-A in my chase truck and in my race truck and they have both worked really well for over a year. The mod is extremely easy to do, open it up cut one wire and put electrical tape on the cut ends and put it back together. Then turn on the power while holding a button down and thats it.
I bought a book on the mods for a bunch of different radios and the TM261a is probably the easiest.

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
how much does the kenwood radio cost compared to the icom? if it is like twice as much is it worth it to buy it or the icom?
Gregg

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
If you are going Icom go with the V8000...you cant beat its power in a 2 meter radio for under a grand and it has a built in fan. Ham Radio had them for 180 with free shipping. If you go Yeasu...the Ft2600 is very nice. We have 2 V8000s, 1 Kenwood , 1 Motorola trunk mount, and 3 Roadmasters and for the price and power you CANT beat the Icom. The Icoms our only 2 races old for chasing so we will see how durable they are, but we are pretty good at putting radios to their limits! The mod was not too complex either...all you need is 20x magnification and a solder iron.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

mgobaja

Reaction
The yeasu has severe voltage sensitivity issues. If it's not hard wired directly to the battery it can go through a power cycle and that erases all of the memories. I have used the icom 2100 lots of times with no problems in that area.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
That problem was addressed 6 months ago according to them and Ham Radio. The new ones should not have that problem anymore.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>