TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

Jones23

Reaction
TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on (or when dad whistled).

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chatrooms ........

WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And if YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

NIKAL

Reaction
That is so true! I forwarded this to a few who need to be reminded of this.

Scrapiron

Reaction
Subject: New School

This is so true!!

Scenario 1:

Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school
parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.

1957 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to
his
car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.

2007 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to
jail
and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for
traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario 2:

Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.

1957 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins... Johnny and Mark shake hands and
end
up buddies

2007 - Police called and SWAT team arrives -- they arrest both
Johnny
and Mark. They are both charged them with assault and both expelled
even
though Johnny started it.

Scenario 3:

Jeffrey will not be still in class, he disrupts other students.

1957 - Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good
paddling
by the Principal. He then returns to class, sits still and does not
disrupt class again.

2007 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. He becomes a zombie.
He is then tested for ADD. The school gets extra money from the state
because Jeffrey has a disability..

Scenario 4:

Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a
whipping with his belt.

1957 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to
college
and becomes a successful businessman.

2007 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to
foster care and joins a gang.. The state psychologist is told by
Billy's
sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to
prison. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.

Scenario 5:

Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.

1957 - Mark shares his aspirin with the Principal out on the smoking
dock.

2007 - The police are called and Mark is expelled from school for
drug
violations. His car is then searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario 6:

Pedro fails high school English.

1957 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English and goes to
college.

2007 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear
nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for
graduation is racist... ACLU files class action lawsuit against the
state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English is then
banned
from core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up
mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario 7:

Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Fourth of July,
puts
them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up a red ant bed.

1957 - Ants die.

2007- ATF, Homeland Security and the FBI are all called. Johnny is
charged with domestic terrorism. The FBI investigates his parents --
and
all siblings are removed from their home and all computers are
confiscated. Johnny's dad is placed on a terror watch list and is
never
allowed to fly again.

Scenario 8:

Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is
found crying by his teacher, Mary.. Mary hugs him to comfort him.

1957 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2007 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job.

She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of
therapy.

This should hit every email inbox to show how stupid we have
become!!

Laurie

Reaction
I love this, oh so true.

My grandpa grew up in a small country town. He would tell me that he'd take his gun to school with him and hunt squirrels on the way to and from school. They had a spot that they lined there guns up in the classroom(1 room school). The teacher finally told them they couldn't bring them in class because they would get up and shoot out the window if they saw a squirrel and it was disturbing class.

Can you imagine what would happen now? Actually I can, my son forgot he had his pocket knife with him one day at Jr High. You would have thought he'd tried to killed the entire student body.

Ryan_P

Reaction
I was born in '86 and I did the majority of those things. America is breeding panzies, my opinion. I had computers, video games, and cable TV, but my mother wouldn't let me do any of those things during the day. She always told me to go outside and play. Seems the opposite in todays world.

I was a product of "be home before the street lights came on", and so were most of my friends. If I wasn't, I had a stern talking to from dad. Even got a belt or 5 in my day; can't do that these days without a neighbor calling CPS on you.

Shaggy

Reaction
Playing army with real BB guns, turning a abandoned lot into a bike track, collecting bottles to buy a ICEE at Stop n Go, popcorn at Sears, going to the parts store with your dad and helping fix the car..........The 60's as a kid:D

JB760

Reaction
I was born in 85 and remember going out back and shooting bb guns with my bro all day and taking the car at 11 at the ranch.

Alex Paterson

Reaction
Ok, question...why is it that the ones (like me) that were born in the 60's 70's and some of the 80's are the ones responsible for changing all of this. We all talk about the good old days but we are responsible for our kids and how we raise them. I am not trying to be a jerk, but isn't our generation that killed the good old days?

With that said, my wife and I are expecting our first baby and she is not eating fish, a lot cheeses, lunch meats and makes sure what drugs she uses and is not drinking. My mother kinda gives us a hard time about this and my response to her is that we now know more about the effects of this stuff on pregnant women and the growing fetus.

BTW, I bought my first bicycle helmet for myself as I thought they were cool.

Alex

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Reaction
Ok, question...why is it that the ones (like me) that were born in the 60's 70's and some of the 80's are the ones responsible for changing all of this.
Because we're the ones on the drugs made by the people who survived the 30's, 40's and 50's. :D:D

hammer down racing

Reaction
I was born in 82 and I did most of what has been talked about. I probably put 50,000 miles on my bike when I was a kid riding all over the place. When I was growing up in Havasu there wasn't anything for us to do but go swimming, riding, and raising hell that kids should do.

Now I am the parent of a two year old girl. I know there are a lot of things that I did when I was younger that my daughter won't get to do. I won't be able to let her leave at sunrise and not hear from her until dark. I'm not one of those pansy parents, but I do and will keep a good eye on her. She gets spanked when she is bad, just like I was. I consider the wife and I lenient parents to a point, but disrespect and lack of manners won't be tolerated. Other than that she is pretty much on her own.

Laurie

Reaction
Ok, question...why is it that the ones (like me) that were born in the 60's 70's and some of the 80's are the ones responsible for changing all of this. We all talk about the good old days but we are responsible for our kids and how we raise them. I am not trying to be a jerk, but isn't our generation that killed the good old days?

With that said, my wife and I are expecting our first baby and she is not eating fish, a lot cheeses, lunch meats and makes sure what drugs she uses and is not drinking. My mother kinda gives us a hard time about this and my response to her is that we now know more about the effects of this stuff on pregnant women and the growing fetus.

BTW, I bought my first bicycle helmet for myself as I thought they were cool.

Alex
Do you want to know what my personal opinion on this is? I'm sure it won't be very popular. It's when mom's starting working out of the home. And thinking they were missing out on something by being at home and not moving up the corporate ladder. Mothers are needed at home with their kids not with a babysitter or daycare.

Mark Newhan

Reaction
Alex,

The hangover from the 60's liberal lovefest is what lead to most of this. My Grandpa was not ashammed of what he did as a youngster, so he was not trying to keep his kids from living like that. However, alot of Baby Boomers are ashammed of the debotchery that that took part in. It simply did not manifest itself until they were forced to face morality when raising their own children. This does not mean that all baby boomers felt this way, which is why alot of us were told not to do certian things, leaving the choice to us. Some were able to steer clear of "bad" things and some were lead into temptaion by the ones that were not taught to be moral.

This explanation is an example of what divides the country in the now. I think that some of the debotchery that was acceptable to many over the past 30-40 years is being curbed by people like yourself that want to be fair to your child, but will expect more from him or her. This is the natural progression of a society, each generation getting better than the last. Unfortunately the Baby Boomers of the 1960 put the idea on hold for about 1 1/2 generations. I have a thesis on this (not done for any eductaion process). In short, the entire country was hung over in the 1970's... just look at the vehicles that we manufactured ;)

chicken lips the ocho

Most Annoying RDC Poster
Reaction
not being able to smack your kids has to be the biggest BS of all, im only 21 years old and my dad used to whoop my butt all the time, i would have friends that would do some pretty stupid stuff and they didn't care because they're parents wouldn't do anything about it

hammer down racing

Reaction
not being able to smack your kids has to be the biggest BS of all, im only 21 years old and my dad used to whoop my butt all the time, i would have friends that would do some pretty stupid stuff and they didn't care because they're parents wouldn't do anything about it
I had buddies that used to yell at thier parents and talk back. I thought that was the most odd thing in the world. If I had ever done that to my parents, I wouldn't be able to walk for a week.:eek:

chicken lips the ocho

Most Annoying RDC Poster
Reaction
But look how annoying you turned out to be!!!::eek:

lol but better than disrespectful punk

How many of us had to go out to the back yard and pick out our OWN switch to get whooped with???!!!
haha my dad used to tell me to get his belt, i got all happy thinking my brothers were gonna get whooped and then KABLAMO i start feeling a sting on my back lol