To Buggy or not to Buggy?

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
Can anyone share with the rest of the Board why the Class One, and Class 10 open wheeled cars are still called "buggies"?

CART, FI, F3000, and the IRL dont call their premier open wheel cars "buggies". " ....and the number 12 buggy is coming into the pits here at the Brickyard, for a tire change. There's only 20 laps left to go in this years Buggy 500 race, for buggies...."

" Ralph Schumaker seems to be having some trouble with his Ferrari Buggy, thats bad news for the Italian Buggy fans....""

" ....Jaguar has announced it will be entering a new Buggy in the Formula Buggy Constructors Championship next year. Jaguar had this to say about their new buggy. " We are extremely pleased to be able to highlight our Brand, engineering skills and team work, by building a new JagBuggy in our backyards, and to be able to go out and skid around in the desert with a bunch of other buggies.....""

Can someone come up with a better name than "buggy"??

If you didn't see it on TV, did it really happen?

Jimmy8

Reaction
Goes all the way back to the first off road car, The Meyers Manx, and it was called a buggy. The name just stuck ever since, from what I understand.

PMC Racing

rdc

Reaction
I think buggy is easier for peopel to understand, do people that don't follow the sport know wtf a class 10 or class 1 vehicle is? Probably not, also what woudl we call the hearbst buggy? Counlt call it a truggy anymore :)

www.offroadrangers.com]<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by 97PreRunr on 12/28/01 01:55 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
I dont think formula one cars derived from Baja Bugs with VW IRS rear suspension and beam front ends like class one cars did, but I could be wrong...

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Because they look like buggies..and I am pretty sure the rest of the board does not need this information shared with them.

Why do they call it a formula car? Is it solving a problem?

"Revenge is best served cold"

Junior

Reaction
John got the answer to that one! I dislike the term "Buggy" as well. Maybe we could start referring to them as Off Highway Open Wheel Desert Racing Vehicles. Or "OHOWDRV's" for short.

Junior
EJR Racing #244

michael

Reaction
I believe the first comment was issued to elicit a more "race car" oriented name. I still have people (mostly Texans..true) that ask me,"yall still goin' to them dune buggy races?". Not really a connotation that brings a $100,000 off-road racing vehicle to mind. I believe Telesport'sdesire is to figure a way to better present what we do to the general public...and to justify spending lots of $$$ to bring this racing to those same folks. One way may be to call them something other than "buggies"....hence the question....maybe creative suggestions would help more than blowing the guy off. Of course, that's just my opinion.....

Michael <A target="_blank" HREF=http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</A>

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
Thats great that you can support someone that takes people OPINIONS and thrashes them and talks trash.. But hey maybe thats just how me and the 50 people that have e-mailed me to complain about him feel.. But I guess we can rename racing and donate $100k to yours and telesports sport.. Thanks for being Team players. The sport is growing as we type..

rdc

Reaction
I watched a bunch of race cars that had VW engines and transmissions, open wheels and raced on road courses, but they werent called road buggies, they were called Formula VW, so I was curious.

rdc

Reaction
Junior Writes; ""I dislike the term "Buggy" as well. Maybe we could start referring to them as Off Highway
Open Wheel Desert Racing Vehicles. Or "OHOWDRV's" for short.:;

I like it. How bout Off Highway Open Wheel Desert Racing Units, then they'd be known as O-HOW-DRU's!

:)

Snmiedo

Reaction
How about Formula Desert or ??? In Mexico, the fans and racers refer to buggies as "Sandmasters" from the glory days of that team.

Jimmy8

Reaction
I don't dig the term Formula too much. Formula 1, Formula 3000, Formula Ford, Formula Dodge, ect, ect, ect. I think that calling something formula is pretty generic now, and at least buggy is original to some extent. Even if the name was changed, everyone would still call them buggies that has been around the sport longer than a day.

PMC Racing

martininsocal

Reaction
i don't want to seem too dim, but, how about "unlimited desert racer, limited desert racer, unlimited desert truck, unlimited mini, open baja bug, limited baja bug, sportsman buggy(for the 9 cars) etc...
but again, there are too many classes!

If your gonna go, go BIG

Ryno

Reaction
I'm with Jimmy on this. Formula is something that I damn near have killed myself and others many times in High school and college O-chem and A-chem classes. It also makes me think of Math, another sore subject. The "good ole boy" may be coming out in me, but I see nothing wrong with "buggy". As most of us know, they are also called "10 cars" as well.

Telesport-I'd love to know how you seem to have a certain knack for picking things apart, and alayzing the tar out of them. You remind me of an architect I damn near threw out a window about 2 weeks ago. After I had built a set of stairs for the 3rd time to suit his needs, he asked me what I thought. My reply was that I thought architects should have some real world experience, rather than sitting behind a desk. To put it simply, you seem to have a large mouth, with notta-whole-lotta to back it up with. Just my .04

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

Tomack

Reaction
Well guys there is no harm in asking a stupid question, when he has already made a stupid mistake. The answer that best describes him is under his board name. ( newbie ). Jeezze

" Buggy or not a buggy, that is the question" Humm real genious whatch the stuff that isn't a TT, and you will understand the buggy thing. Buggies rule.............

Peace out to all....

"race gas, in the early morning" Booing

JCA

Reaction
What is so special about the name "Formula VW" I am not being an ass, I just don't think the name is all that. To me "Buggies" is a good catch phrase or word that has a lot of classes (which we have a lot of) wraped into one word. I see no reason to email anyone about your post. You just read them and either learn from them or disreguard them.

J.C. Andrews
Andrews Racing
www.andrewsracing.com

scott

Reaction
Isn't Dune Buggy the original name, then Dune was dropped because of Ebonics....