• Forum membership has its advantages....

Tony Stewart hurt his back in Glamis...

Chris Tobin

Tony Stewart was injured in what they are calling an ATV accident, but from what I have read it sounds like he was in a buggy or UTV playing in Glamis and they wrecked, rolled or just had a hard G-out or landing and he has a burst fracture in his back. He will mist the start of the Cup season in what was supposed to be his retirement season...

http://www.nationalspeedsportnews.c...ascar/tony-stewart-will-miss-start-of-season/

I hope this does not have a negative effect on off road and Glamis!!!

Chris Tobin

Don Prudhomme, Greg Biffle, Jeff Gordon, Ray Evernham, Ron Pratte & Rusty Wallace were all out there playing in the dunes with Tony when he got hurt. Here is Don's take on it.

EXCLUSIVE: What happened to Tony Stewart in the sand dunes from eyewitness Don 'The Snake' Prudhomme
That's something like what I figured happened... I suspect this will bring up the suspension seat vs shell seat debate again when more info is revealed about what equipment he was using when this happened...

ProFORMANCE

What a joke NASCAR is. Tony's words were regarding Safety of competitors and fans with respect to teams leaving lug nuts off along with his desire to see NASCAR go back to policing lug nut application. And for Tony to get slapped with a $35K fine for that demonstrates again what a joke NASCAR is and how it is an over-controlling entity for the sole purpose of making money for the sanctioning body owners.

This isn't the first time NASCAR fined a driver for speaking negatively about management decisions. Brad K was silently fined I believe 25K a few years ago for talking negatively about the fuel injection system. I can see both sides on the issue. On one hand, drivers should be able to speak out against things they don't agree with but on the other hand NASCAR isn't a Democracy. With shrinking attendance we've seen lately, it looks very bad for a driver to publicly criticize an organization that has made them millions of dollars over the years. These fines are to deter anyone from following suit and trashing the organization. To make an example out of a person. I can see either side. What I'd like to know though is if at any point this season the 4, 10, 14 and 41 have used the 4 lug strategy. If they have, seems a little hypocritical to criticize the rule now.

sb4pro

What a joke NASCAR is. Tony's words were regarding Safety of competitors and fans with respect to teams leaving lug nuts off along with his desire to see NASCAR go back to policing lug nut application. And for Tony to get slapped with a $35K fine for that demonstrates again what a joke NASCAR is and how it is an over-controlling entity for the sole purpose of making money for the sanctioning body owners.
image.jpeg

Chris Tobin

And gets slapped with a 35K fine for publicly criticizing NASCAR's new 4 lug nut rule. Welcome back, Smoke!

Tony Stewart fined by NASCAR after disparaging comments | NASCAR.com
I think the fine is stupid.

But that being said, I also agree that TS is being hypocritical as I am sure his teams are using less than 5 lugs on each wheel. Also, as far as a safety concern, each team decides how many lugs to install. If they feel that 5 is safe they need to install five!!! If they are okay with 4 go ahead and do 4!!! To my best recollection, we have had a lot of teams pit with a loose wheel this year and last, but no wheels falling off! I remember many times with the 5 lug rule wheels falling off... so why did it happen then??? Maybe drivers were more willing to "ride out" a vibration thinking "there are five lugs on there, it won't fall off". But now they know there might only be 3 or 4 lugs on so they pit as soon as they feel a loos wheel.

Safety in this aspect is directly in the team and driver's control and hands they can't blame NASCAR is a driver gets hurt from a wheel falling off if they send him out with only 1 lug nut just because it is now legal to do so!!!!

bajaherbie

The drivers association (or whatever it is called) has agreed to pay the fine in support of Tony.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk