Tony Stewart Runs Over Another Racer

sb4pro

Reaction
Dirt track cars have what is called rear steer, the 4 bar rear links are set so the left and right rear wheels change wheel base upon acceleration, when you hear the motor rev the car automatically turns down and to the left away from the attacker
The car may turn left but the rear ( the part that hit Kevin ) slides to the right . They basically powerslide thru the corners . Kinda like a pro-2 would at Crandon .

MARXICO

Reaction
I raced dirt track for 10 years, the 4 bar rear steer drives you crooked down the straight always , when you accelerate it turns the nose of the car down , the right rear wheel base grows as the inside shrinks turning the car to the left

Off road rear ends do not change wheel base or develop Rear Steer... nothing like pro 2

Sheaco

Reaction
Thank You for the info

racer56

Reaction
Sprint cars do not have 4 bar rear steer suspension. They have torsion bar arms to the bottom of a bearing carrier (birdcage) on the axle and radius rods at the top. The wheelbase does not change and the amount of stagger you run dictates corner entry and how the car rolls the corner.

sb4pro

Reaction
Guys it doesn't matter . Either way the rear of the car slid out and hit Kevin . It was far from intentional and was exactly what it was A TRAGIC ACCIDENT ! I'm listening to Pit Lane on Nascar Sirius Radio and you should hear Dave Moody ( the host of the show ) . He is totally disgusted on how the press handled all this . Good Morning America all but harassed Kevin's family calling repeatedly asking for pictures , info etc . Even going as far as asking for Kevin's parents phone number . Sadly this discussion seems to be taking on the same direction as all the others . Rumors , conjecture , and misinformation . Let's just end this and let it go . As for whose right or whose wrong as far as the cars set-up you could both be right . I looked in the ESS ( Empire Super Sprints ) rulebook and there isn't any mention of suspension set-ups or even what type . I admittedly wouldn't know either , just know that in the corners the cars slide the rear end out towards where Kevin was standing .

http://www.empiresupersprints.com/2012Tour/2012 Rules.pdf

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
The media doesn't care about facts, only ratings. If going so far as to say that Tony did it on purpose, basically calling him a murderer, then that is exactly what they will do

Sheaco

Reaction
Guys it doesn't matter . Either way the rear of the car slid out and hit Kevin . It was far from intentional and was exactly what it was A TRAGIC ACCIDENT ! I'm listening to Pit Lane on Nascar Sirius Radio and you should hear Dave Moody ( the host of the show ) . He is totally disgusted on how the press handled all this . Good Morning America all but harassed Kevin's family calling repeatedly asking for pictures , info etc . Even going as far as asking for Kevin's parents phone number . Sadly this discussion seems to be taking on the same direction as all the others . Rumors , conjecture , and misinformation . Let's just end this and let it go . As for whose right or whose wrong as far as the cars set-up you could both be right . I looked in the ESS ( Empire Super Sprints ) rulebook and there isn't any mention of suspension set-ups or even what type . I admittedly wouldn't know either , just know that in the corners the cars slide the rear end out towards where Kevin was standing .

http://www.empiresupersprints.com/2012Tour/2012 Rules.pdf

I'm sorry My "side note" technical questioned & subsequent info by others derailed this obviously enlighten thread, O' Sherriff de Race Dezert. Please forgive us lesser Beings for being.

sb4pro

Reaction
Wasn't meant to be like that guys . Just think we're better than the internet vultures who ACT like they know what they're talking about . Some of the people ( press included ) wouldn't and don't know a thing about racing regardless of what kind it is . At least we were being neutral on the whole thing til we started on what hit / didn't hit . I've already stated I don't know who was / is right I'm just simply stating that it was good to actually see at least 1 thread was concentrating on what matters . Tony , Kevin , and Kevin's family and hope we can keep it that way . I in no way wanted to act like the internet police . Sorry if anyone got that impression .

Last edited:

Petepecas

Reaction
Just saw Tony Stewarts press conference after the incident. He looked unshaven, messed up hair, polo shirt unbuttoned, wrinkled and old... thetrical if you ask me. In any case, he's back to NASCAR racing, shaken up, and everything.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Chris Tobin

Reaction
According to jayski.com, the Grand Jury determined that Tony Stewart will not be charged!!!

• Grand jury hearing testimony in Tony Stewart case UPDATES NOT to be charged: Ontario County District Attorney Michael Tantillo has convened a grand jury to determine whether charges should be brought against NASCAR driver Tony Stewart for his role in an on-track incident that caused the death of driver Kevin Ward Jr. Grand jury testimony began Tuesday in the case. Tantillo said on Sept. 16 that he would present evidence from the police investigation to a grand jury. Chuck Hebing, who was driving in the Aug. 9 race when Ward was killed at Canandaigua Motorsports Park, confirmed that he was called to testify about the accident but declined to discuss the matter further. Ward, 20, died after he was struck by the car of Tony Stewart during a Sprint car race. The incident took place moments after Stewart, a three-time NASCAR season-series champion, bumped Ward's car and forced it to crash into the corner wall on Turn 2. It is not known how long it will take for the evidence to be presented to the grand jury, or for witnesses to provide testimony.(Rochester Democrat & Chronicle)
    UPDATE: Tony Stewart grand jury decision will supposedly be announced today (Sept 24) at 3:00pm/et.(Jayski Twitter)
    UPDATE2: Ontario County District Attorney Michael Tantillo will hold a press conference at 3:00pm/et today to reveal the findings of a grand jury investigation into whether charges should be brought against NASCAR driver Tony Stewart for his role in the on-track death of driver Kevin Ward Jr. In a press release, Tantillo said the grand jury's determination would be made public this afternoon.(Rochester Democrat & Chronicle)
    The press conference will be aired lived at whec.com and also on ESPN live at 3:00pm/et.
    UPDATE3: Tony Stewart will NOT face criminal charges in the death of Kevin Ward Jr. ... who was struck and killed by Stewart during a race last month ... TMZ Sports has learned. TMZ learned ... that a grand jury just decided not to charge Stewart.(TMZ)(9-24-2014)

I am glad they saw the facts that the driver left the safety of his car after a minor wreck and proceeded to run into race traffic and got hit.

I am bothered though, that the spineless District Attorney could not see this for himself and had to "hand it off" to the Grand Jury to begin with. Is that not his job???

sb4pro

Reaction
THIS IS WHY THERE NEEDS TO BE MANDATORY DRUG TESTING IN ALL FORMS OF RACING !!!!
Turns out Kevin Ward was high on weed . Imo being high while driving is just as bad as if he had been drunk . I'm still sorry that Kevin lost his life but bottom line HE SHOULDNT HAVE been behind the wheel of a car no less a race car and if he had been sober would his decision to get out of the car been the same .

sb4pro

Reaction
All they said was the effects of the amount in his blood stream was enough to impair his judgement .

Chris Tobin

Reaction
was he high while he was racing? Or was he high the day before? Weed stays in the blood stream long after the effects have gone away.
According to reports he had enough in his system to be impaired!!!

Here is the latest from USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...cted-charged-in-kevin-ward-jr-death/15712979/

I'm pissed that this kid was on the track high!!! Yet his family and the media made him out to be as pure and perfect as can be!!! The kid was using illegal drugs and driving a powerful race car (Bad Decisions #1 and #2) then got brushed by another driver and hit the wall (no wonder, since his reactions were impaired) then got out of the car and charged race traffic (Bad Decision #3) and now he is dead!!!! His death is on his family and the track too, since they didn't notice or care that this kid was a racing pot head!!!

At least with that evidence revealed his family should not win a civil suit against Tony unless it is in Washington or Colorado state...

Chris Tobin

Reaction
The DA knowing the kid was high should have NEVER sent it to the Grand Jury at all!!! Was it just to get a little more face time for himself?!?

sb4pro

Reaction
For clarity...

Im not gonna argue that racing while high is not a good idea for anyone, im more curious how it was established he was. Particularly if there was testimony from a person or persons that witnessed it.
The toxicology report from Kevin's autopsy is how they found out he was high .

sb4pro

Reaction
Just got this txt from a NY State Trooper friend of mine I asked him how easy would it be to test for being high vs being drunk before getting in a car
The person has to pee in a cup and there are diff chemicals for exp: test for marihuana, test for cocaine, test for herorin and the pee will turn a diff color .

Last edited:

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
The toxicology report from Kevin's autopsy is how they found out he was high .
Yea. Thats what I thought...I am guessing its a blood test.

BUT the inability to accurately measure marijuana impairment is why both the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the National Institute on Drug Abuse have stated that marijuana impairment testing via blood sampling is unreliable.

It could be successfully argued that without corroborating evidence (like a witness) the toxicology report would not be a sure fire defense against a civil suit. These things are difficult to prove one way or another.