Tony Stewart Runs Over Another Racer

Chris Tobin

Dan, I know pot is the cool thing these days and there are a lot of users out there. BUT, it does not defend at all the kid's DUMB actions on the track and in fact if he was high may even explain what happened as a completely rational and sober person would not do what he did!!!! Additionally, it is an illegal substance in the state he lives in so the theory that he would do no wrong and was a perfect kid is thrown out. Even if it was his first and only use, he still chose to indulge in an illegal substance at some point before his race!!! A lot of kids make dumb mistakes, some learn from them, some die from them... this kid falls into the latter category.

I would never get in a race car with someone that was high or drunk and would hope that I do not have to share the track with them!!! It is stupid and dangerous to yourself and others!!!

Mike_McCluskey

Will the fact that he was impaired prevent the family from filing a civil case? My guess is they were waiting for this ruling before they filed the civil case. Maybe common sense will prevail.

dan200

#BSF200
Dan, I know pot is the cool thing these days and there are a lot of users out there. BUT, it does not defend at all the kid's DUMB actions on the track and in fact if he was high may even explain what happened as a completely rational and sober person would not do what he did!!!! Additionally, it is an illegal substance in the state he lives in so the theory that he would do no wrong and was a perfect kid is thrown out. Even if it was his first and only use, he still chose to indulge in an illegal substance at some point before his race!!! A lot of kids make dumb mistakes, some learn from them, some die from them... this kid falls into the latter category.
for the record, you said pot is cool, not me.

My point is that his dumb actions on the track very likely could not be directly traced back to a blood or urine test result.

I agree he acted foolishly. I agree it caused his death.

But, without corroborating evidence that shows he was under the influence during the race and not under the influence days or even weeks before race, the room for a civil suit against Stewart exists. That quite simply is the science and case history in matters like this. The toxicology report is not a "smoking gun" is all I am saying.

sb4pro

Latest press statement from the Ward Family
The Ward family released the following statement after the announcement was made:

Our son got out of his car during caution while the race was suspended. All the other vehicles were reducing speed and not accelerating, except for Tony Stewart, who intentionally tried to intimidate Kevin by accelerating and sliding his car toward him, causing the tragedy.

The focus should be on the actions of Mr. Stewart and not my son.

This matter is not at rest and we will pursue all remedies in fairness to Kevin.

What a crock of poop !!!!!
I'm sorry I still feel sorry for the fact they lost their son but I've lost all respect for them . I was sympathetic towards them for awhile but it's becoming more and more clear they're more concerned bout getting money outta this than anything . It's not gonna bring Kevin back and all it's doing is besmirching Kevin's memory . Admit he made a tragic mistake that cost him his life and move on to begin healing .

Chris Tobin

for the record, you said pot is cool, not me.

My point is that his dumb actions on the track very likely could not be directly traced back to a blood or urine test result.

I agree he acted foolishly. I agree it caused his death.

But, without corroborating evidence that shows he was under the influence during the race and not under the influence days or even weeks before race, the room for a civil suit against Stewart exists. That quite simply is the science and case history in matters like this. The toxicology report is not a "smoking gun" is all I am saying.
Got me there... I don't think it is cool, but the media and a lot of people seem to think so... If medical use were legal in Tennessee and would help my wife's chronic pain that would be great. But I think recreational use is dumb...

Chris Tobin

Latest press statement from the Ward Family
The Ward family released the following statement after the announcement was made:

Our son got out of his car during caution while the race was suspended. All the other vehicles were reducing speed and not accelerating, except for Tony Stewart, who intentionally tried to intimidate Kevin by accelerating and sliding his car toward him, causing the tragedy.

The focus should be on the actions of Mr. Stewart and not my son.

This matter is not at rest and we will pursue all remedies in fairness to Kevin.

What a crock of **** !!!!!
I'm sorry I still feel sorry for the fact they lost their son but I've lost all respect for them . I was sympathetic towards them for awhile but it's becoming more and more clear they're more concerned bout getting money outta this than anything . It's not gonna bring Kevin back and all it's doing is besmirching Kevin's memory . Admit he made a tragic mistake that cost him his life and move on to begin healing .
WOW, that blows me away!!!

The focus should not be on the drug user who rant into traffic and got hit, but the guy who innocently hit him... what a CROCK for them to think that at all!!!!

dan200

#BSF200
Its a romantic case of a young kid being run over by a wealthy superstar who is a master of vehicle control and known to be an aggressive hot head with a bad temper. Sounds like a great basis for a civil suit that will be cheaper to pay than to fight.

ANd fighting it would make a public figure with endorsement deals and race track ownerships seem like a bully to the grass root racers and fans.

If he pays, even though he shouldnt have to, it will be cheaper in the long run and easier for him to move on with his life...

not sayin its the way it should be, just that it is the way it is..

EDIT- on the other hand, it could be a opportuity to draw a line in the sand and make a point about the fools who get out of their race cars on a sprint track (it happens a lo i hear) tony can afford to fund the case I am sure.

could get interesting if someone decides to make it an issue of principal and not about what is the cheapest route.

07FJRog

Court said they would not try the case, good for Tony

pdailey

Racer
This was my first thought when I saw the video and I still say Tony was trying to intimidate the young racer. Not trying to say Tony hit him intentionally but Tony is far from innocent and his track record for being a hot head proves that IN MY OPINION. Flame away!

It would be interesting to see the court's decision in any wrongful death suits, but, like Dan, I assume a settlement will preclude a court decision.

sb4pro

Bottom line Kevin should never have gotten behind the wheel of ANY vehicle . Not only did he put his OWN life in danger but the lives of EVERY driver out on that track that night . What if he had killed someone else while racing , would we still be thinking he was " a quiet easy going kid " ? As far as I'm concerned anything that Tony may or may have not done became a mute point the minute Kevin went out on that track under the influence .

pdailey

Racer
Bottom line Kevin should never have gotten behind the wheel of ANY vehicle . Not only did he put his OWN life in danger but the lives of EVERY driver out on that track that night . What if he had killed someone else while racing , would we still be thinking he was " a quiet easy going kid " ? As far as I'm concerned anything that Tony may or may have not done became a mute point the minute Kevin went out on that track under the influence .
I totally agree...

Chris Tobin

I totally agree...

I was waiting for someone to bring the NASCAR Helmet toss incidents up...

They (others have done it too, not just Robby) were on well lit or daytime tracks on pavement with cars that respond to steering wheel input much better than a dirt sprint car. Also, in most cases (RG shown above being an exception) they throw from a distance not in the racing line.

If Kevin Ward has removed his helmet and threw it at Tony's car from a safe distance he would still be alive and toking today!

Sometimes STUPID HURTS!!!! Kevin Ward found out the hard way... I feel for his family for their loss, but if at 20 the kid was an illegal drug user already he was not going to make it as a professional racer and they are deluding themselves thinking anything other. They will file a civil case against Tony and will likely take a settlement, but maybe they should have simply taught their son not to do illegal drugs and race as well as not to go play in traffic!!! If he didn't take the actions he took, he would be alive today!!!

sb4pro

And yes Dailey I agree with you here . What Robby did that day was very stupid . He put his life in danger but it was HIS life only , and he was SOBER when he did it . Even Tony himself has gotten out and confronted drivers . Neither of them should be proud of those moments but , Kevin being under the influence of drugs put EVERYONE out there in danger . The same as if he went to a bar and drove home drunk . Every driver ( or pedestrian for that matter ) would be put in danger between the local bar and Kevin's home . What if Kevin had had an accident on his way home after the race . Basically there is NO EXCUSE for being under the influence of ANYTHING ( drug or alcohol ) while behind the wheel of a car or racecar .

pdailey

Racer
If Kevin Ward has removed his helmet and threw it at Tony's car from a safe distance he would still be alive and toking today!
Looks like Robby got pretty close in front of Waltrip and Waltrip turned to AVOID him, not the other way around like the Stewart incident. Regardless, Kevin Ward "shouldn't" have been high and "shouldn't" have got out of his car. But Tony Stewart "shouldn't" have tried to intimidate the kid by getting close to him either. Like I said, Tony Stewart is not 100% innocent in this case but he'll get away with it.