Too many races

snoreracer

Reaction
This subject has been talked about for the last 3 or 4 years, what do we do to cut down on the amount of races that happen every weekend. Last year as the president of snore we worked with whiplash and more to combine races. The reasoning behind combining races was less work for the promoter, you can split it up. And the main reason that the snore members liked was more competitors to race against. Both of the events that were combined with other promoters were a success. the parker 400 was back and even had other promoters worried. The midnight special in Barstow that was held with more was less successful but 70 cars showed up. this is my suggestion to one way to fix the to many race problem. 1st you guys in southern California need to pick a promoter. ether mdr or more, both of them running races each month is not good for the sport. Just food for thought, snore has tried to do a race with mdr for 4 years with no luck. then with the Barstow promoter, snore, fud and whiplash sit down and work on a schedule. Then have each promoter pick one or two races that have the best participation and combine them for a 6 or 7 race series. This was done back in the 70's and the high desert series was born. Each promoter could still have it's own series with maybe 3 or 4 other races that didn't conflict with other promoters. This way the teams that couldn't afford to travel out of state could still race. The entry's at the combined races would have 200+ cars and picking up a series sponsor would be easy with those numbers. The races would drop from 31 to about 22 , and that a good start. That's just my idea

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
Is ounds good but good luck! I have asked MDR to look at the same thing but they don't open up to it. MDR gets around 100 pre enters and 80-90 show up. They are almost there but they need a better marketing person behind the wheel. They have what they want and that is it. Try calling Patricia today and ask her, I will bring it up and see where it goes.

Tom_Willis

Reaction
MORE is a good place to run if you have an older vehicle or a first time driver. The lack of big trucks and extremely fast cars allow you to concentrate on the terrain, not on who is overtaking you.
MDR has big car counts, including a huge amount of trucks and unlimited cars. The competition level is MUCH higher, there is a lot of passing, tapping, dusty conditions, rough sections, and a night race, all the usual mayhem. If you Overall an MDR race you know that you truly accomplished something. They use the same tech crew and rule book as SCORE so if you want to step up to the next Baja 500 or 1000 you'll be much better prepared. So a new team can do a few MORE races until the thrill is gone, then step up to MDR and turn everything up a notch, then graduate to the major league and run with SCORE.

I live my life one paycheck at a time

Bill

Carlos Danger
Reaction
Tom I have raced score,snore,more and even took a championship at mdr but Jim clements over at more is atleast willing to try what the racers ask for and he puts on a very professional event.I am looking forward to racing with him and his organization this weekend.Bill Markel

Tom_Willis

Reaction
Bill, your team need an extra wrench? Meeting Scott was quite a humbling experience. I'd like the chance to talk to him again, now that I have a truck that can actually go up Cajon Pass... Is Team Fenton going to be there? BTW, I've got a truckload of firewood, and I just bought a new house that needs a roof. Interested?

Live your life like a Budweiser commercial

Bill

Carlos Danger
Reaction
would love an extra hand.come on out we`ll be there friday scott will be there too.don`t know about the fentons.

IDRA_CRB

Reaction
Kenny,

Definitely agree with you. Too many promoters. We at Checkers Off Road have at least one racer in every series, except FUD. But it takes a minimum of three members racing to make it an official club event. Consequently, we may end up having very few real club races this year.

Most of our guys are pretty much fed up with MDR. Class 5 seems to be having a resurgence there so Seeley is still running MDR.

Our guys love SNORE, but often the distance, and now the gas expense, keeps them away.

I personally believe that there are many racers who want to make the switch to MORE from MDR but no one wants to be the first to make the move.

Tom,

How many entries does MDR typically have after you subtract the prerunners, sportsman and JeepSpeed?

Reese

IDRA_CRB

Reaction
Hello Mike,

a) No variety in the race courses and venues.

b) Too many inexperienced drivers.

c) Inequitable points system. (2002 championship was won in a class with 2-3 entries)

d) Unreasonable rules. (e.g. No nerfing JeepSpeed vehicles)

e) Course officials who believe it's OK to jump their trucks on-course so long as "no one is coming".

Thanks for asking, Mike. Best of luck in your new business venture.

Reese - Off to check out the MORE race.