Too many series???

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
Reaction
What do you think about all the series there are to race? Are there too many? It seems to me that the more series there are the less people there will be at any one event, all the cars are spread out in various series, I know why they start new series...they are a business and some are to help out smaller budgeted racers, but overall do you think the sport is becoming too divided....hell I know there are hundreds of awesome cars that I will never see race because even while spectating you can't go to all of them.....also, like this weekend, those of us that will prerun the 500 will not make it to the PC race, even though PC is only 20 mins from my house...

Baja Fool

Reaction
What do you think about all the series there are to race? Are there too many?
Is there such a thing??? :D

Really, when supply exceeds demand, the price goes down (not!) or the weaker ones fall to the side. But for now it's great for the racer.

chase for food

Reaction
with all the problems getting permits from blm how do all these series survive? you hear how casey (bitd) goes through so much bs,how do these other series seem to do it with less red tape? is it event size? you dont see 100 blm cops at plaster city races

harleys dad

Reaction
In my opinion there are way way way to many series. I raced at a time when you could count on one hand the number of series and entries were big everywhere you went. This sport is saturated to the point of small entries at most places unfortunately.

pdailey

Racer
Reaction
In my opinion there are way way way to many series. I raced at a time when you could count on one hand the number of series and entries were big everywhere you went. This sport is saturated to the point of small entries at most places unfortunately.
I agree. I hear of the times when there were 60-70 entries in 5/1600 and 80-90 in 1600. With all these different series, those days are long gone.

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
Reaction
That's what I mean, instead of a few HUGE races, there are now A LOT of small races...talking about entries, such is the case for CODE's race this weekend, I believe they only have about 60 cars entered...when before, every CODE race had over 100 cars...

Zambo

Reaction
Heck, lets make a new series out of races from some of the different series. How about the long course championship series, which would consist of:
Parker 425
Mint 400
Baja 500
Vegas to Reno
Baja 1000

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
Reaction
That would be the ultimate!!! And plenty of time to prep in between each and every race. If only the egos that be would only be so receptive to this idea.
only problem is that we fall again on the budget factor for many racers...if many of the series exist to save them money....long races are the last thing they are going to want.....

LukeMcMillin

Reaction
I agree, too many series, and I have said that before. I think its ridiculous and annoying how many series there are. The problem is is that someone doesn't like how a series is run sometimes so they think they can start the perfect series, and well they can't, there will not ever be a perfect series that everyone likes completely. I don't know how to prevent this, but its ridiculous! In all honesty I had NO idea there was a CODE race this weekend haha. And this coming weekend I think we have over 3 or 4 different races happening at different places, with entries all spread out. A race this weekend would be waaaay cooler if there were 200 entries with over 10 entries in each class instead of 50 entries at each race and 4 entries in your class. I know the 3 and only series I support and all for a good reason. SCORE, BITD, and MDR and sometimes SNORE. Bam! I would find it embarrassing as a desert racer to be telling someone about my racing and telling them how I got 2nd place out of the 5 people that were there in my class, haha, if we joined a bunch of entries I would actually call it racing, being the only person in your class is NOT racing!

Bill

Carlos Danger
Reaction
The MORE race next weekend has almost 200 entries already.so I don`t think it has affected them.

harleys dad

Reaction
That's what I mean, instead of a few HUGE races, there are now A LOT of small races...talking about entries, such is the case for CODE's race this weekend, I believe they only have about 60 cars entered...when before, every CODE race had over 100 cars...
I am sure it is not because they dont put on good races, I think the guys running the Code series to be 1st class people, it is the fact that none of us can race all of them even if we wanted to. With all the promoters there are now, it is hard to wish any to go to the wayside but it would make the racing better at the ones that are left. I wish the days of 400+ entry races were here again, they were the best like the true Parker 400 that had so many entries they had to turn racers away or put them on a stand by list. Or the true Mint 400 with over 500 cars. For those who never got to experience that you really missed something. I doubt it will ever be that way again. Score who use to be the biggest now is punny compaired to some these days, each race this year has been close to a couple hundred short from previos years. A lot of racers have left Score because a lot have relized they can run a hole season elswhere for the cost of 1 Score entry or are avoiding Baja alltogether. Snores BAP had a good size entry this year as well as the new Mint

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
Heck, lets make a new series out of races from some of the different series. How about the long course championship series, which would consist of:
Parker 425
Mint 400
Baja 500
Vegas to Reno
Baja 1000
Nimrod has said something about a concept like this. He called it the "Unlimited truck challenge"...(something like that) I think it was for the DA reality show thingy.

OffroadExit

Pistol Pete's Personal Pot Stirrer
Reaction
The other problem is that there are too many events on the same weekends!
Just this weekend alone you could choose from:

TORC Season opener in Texas

La Carrera de Imposible Off-road Race in Rocky Point

The Extreme Motorsports Expo is at the Orange County Fairgrounds

MDR Ridgecrest 200

Drive Fiberworks Still of the Night 200 in Plaster City

Plus a side x side race in Lake Elsinore and another one at Milestone MX Park.

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
The other problem is that there are too many events on the same weekends!
Just this weekend alone you could choose from:

TORC Season opener in Texas

La Carrera de Imposible Off-road Race in Rocky Point

The Extreme Motorsports Expo is at the Orange County Fairgrounds

MDR Ridgecrest 200

Drive Fiberworks Still of the Night 200 in Plaster City

Plus a side x side race in Lake Elsinore and another one at Milestone MX Park.
You forgot the CODE race this weekend......lol

NIKAL

Reaction
I will have to agree that they are a lot more race series now then 10-15 years ago. I guess good or bad can be looked at by which side of the fence you are on. Yes the car counts are lower because of these newer series, but these series have been developed because the promoters must have felt their was a need for them. If the racers dont like a series it wont last and car counts will show that over time.

Like mentioned it would probably be in the best interest if we only had 3 or 4 series to pick from, but the fact is the bigger series have chose to charge more to run their events and not every race can afford or chooses to afford their prices. For example there are a few series that use the Primm Valley as a location to hold races at, and yet each series has a clear price difference. Why is this? The costs to run these events cant be all that different when they are all using the same courses and dealing with the same BLM issues. If I am going to race in Primm I will look at cost and car count for my class. This is what I would use to determine where I race.

chicken lips the ocho

Most Annoying RDC Poster
Reaction
i think there is too many promoters, i would love to see the HUGE field of racers like harley's dad said 400+ racers oh my

and i dont think there should only be one promoter so how many promoters do guys think is the right number to have?

Clean-Dezert.org

Reaction
The only positive about having new series pop up is to keep older series on thier toes. Seems to me that there are a couple series that are doing the very minimum to keep the series alive. Some new people out there seem to be doing tons more for the community, deserts and racers.