Too much spring?

04yfzkid

Reaction
I am trying to learn more about shocks and such. I have gotten the idea about valving and adjusting bypass tubes down somewhat, but I don't understand about spring. How do you determine if you need more spring or less spring in a truck.

In my truck right now when I hit small little bumps, I feel every bump in the front end. I have owned 5 lt trucks in the last two years and this the only one that has felt like this. For example speed bumps are pretty rough, and I feel every pot hole one the road. I am saying this because even on really hard dirt roads (like bessimer rd) it rattles my teeth out of my head. It feels good in the rougher stuff though up front. My thought on my truck is that it has too stiff of springs so therefore the valving plays very little roll on the small bumps.

My springs are not labeled anywhere as to what rate they are, and I am unsure of the valving. I have the coilover valving written down somewhere, but not the bypass.

Truck is a 93 extra cab ranger with a 4.0. Has 8" over a side Giant Motorsports beams, 14" coilover and bypass with a simple hoops / crossbrace, and a small rubber bump. It's running on 33's also.

Thanks for any help in advance guys,
-Mikey Smith

Wild bill

Reaction
Here's a total guess. I would go with a longer upper spring with a lower rate. Example....top spring is a 6"x250 now go with a 8"x200 or 150 .

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
It's really imposable to tell from a pic like that. You would have to jack it up and unscrew one side to see how much pre-load you have.

Giant Geoff

Reaction
Mike, the coil over shock you have was set up to run by its self and has a 15/10 in it and would need to be lighten up to run with the by-pass how, plus you should switch the shocks and run the coil in back of the by-pass. If you do this I would suggest this for the shock valving. By-pass 15/10, coil 10/8.

04yfzkid

Reaction
Mike, the coil over shock you have was set up to run by its self and has a 15/10 in it and would need to be lighten up to run with the by-pass how, plus you should switch the shocks and run the coil in back of the by-pass. If you do this I would suggest this for the shock valving. By-pass 15/10, coil 10/8.
Thanks geoff I will go ahead and try that. I need to open up them all and rebuild them. Oil is pretty nasty in there haha. When you referred to the valving is that a 15 stack on the compression / 10 stack on the rebound, or do I have it backwards?

Giant Geoff

Reaction
Rodger.
For sure do up coil overs, there were on the old truck for a long time but those by-passes are new so just check the shims, leave the oil and seals.

04yfzkid

Reaction
Rodger.
For sure do up coil overs, there were on the old truck for a long time but those by-passes are new so just check the shims, leave the oil and seals.
If I can get the shims, I may try all this before the race this weekend. If not oh well. Thanks for all the help geoff, I will stop by saturday / sunday sometime and say hi.

WannaB-class5

Reaction
Mikey, Get the shims! We can do them at the race if needed. Don't waste a trip to the dezert without dialing in your truck!

04yfzkid

Reaction
Mikey, Get the shims! We can do them at the race if needed. Don't waste a trip to the dezert without dialing in your truck!
Sean is suppose to bring me out some shims. IF we can get the shocks off the truck though, that may be hard lol

Giant Geoff

Reaction
Come by the Giant camp up at RP. I have all the shim sizes.

TOTTI

Reaction
Hey maybe I can use some good advise from you guys..I have a Bronco its still a work in process..I have 14"coilovers for the front the springs are upper 14" 350 and the lowers are 16" 700, the ones in the back are also 14" coilovers with upper spring 14" 250 and lower 16" 600.. Do you think its a good setup?..

Thanks..

cosmo

Super Moderator
Reaction
Hey maybe I can use some good advise from you guys..I have a Bronco its still a work in process..I have 14"coilovers for the front the springs are upper 14" 350 and the lowers are 16" 700, the ones in the back are also 14" coilovers with upper spring 14" 250 and lower 16" 600.. Do you think its a good setup?..

Thanks..
Sure.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction

Thanks..
That's going to be really stiff! Trade the 700 fronts for some 400's. Trade the 600 rear lowers for some 400's.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Yes. You will have to have the springs loose to get it to sit at anything resembling a normal ride height. You will not like the way it rides.

04yfzkid

Reaction
Ok so this weekend I was screwing around in the desert. I haven't revavled my truck yet do to my shims still in shipping. So I decided to take off the bypasses and run it. Well it did a ton better this weekend. I know I still have a lot of work to do.

I did notice something that I thought was very odd. When I was hitting whoops, or even small washboard stuff, the truck would litterally float and move all over the place. Can anyone explain why that is? For example too much tire pressure, too much spring, too much compression, too much rebound, not enough of certain things?

Also got a little video. I need to add some compression to the rear. I was watching the video in slow mo (hitting the play and pause button over and over lol), and I noticed the when going over the whoops, the rear tires would come off the ground slightly. Is this normal or should they be sinking all the way down into them?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdm-HNgLmOE"]YouTube - Devil's Slide fun in Oco[/ame]

Reaction
Mikey,

I know that I have seen several pics of your truck...
I cant remember though... Do you have cross over steering?
Watching your video, I noticed the bumpsteer slightly...

As for the rear suspension, what are your rears valved at?