• Forum membership has its advantages....

Tool and parts bag in a race car What things do you carry?

Zac Reish

I'm not going to go over board. I guess my question is whats realistically worth fixing and having during a normal race. Not the baja 1000 and not battle at primm.

I race a 5 open car with an ecotec engine
One question I have is should I pack rear pivot bolts. I've never broken one and feel like if I did I'm going to have a bunch of other broken stuff after. so is that one worth it? Link pin? I'm thinking the same but never broken one and don't know how messed up other things would be if one did break.

Things I will have. CV joint, engine sensors, wire, connectors, fuses, tools, wire, tape, zip ties, silicone, small assortment of hardware, spare tire, jack, lug wrench, impact. I've never carried a tie rod but have needed them, I don't carry a brake flaring tool but have needed those as well. What tricky items have come in real handy for you guys?

jon coleman

an caps& plugz, when i was co rider, drivers dad gave me brakeline size cap& plug, said quickest way to fixx brakes, u only need one caliper to stop car after finish line....also sizes for coolers& plumbing.after rolling, things can leeeek

Bert is my name

Hose clamps. Stronger than zip ties. Fittings to bypass damaged coolers. Lug nuts in case they get lost during tire changes.

TMorford

I carried the same basic parts in your list for local races aside from having a spare tie rod under the hood. For Baja it was always everything including the kitchen sink (unless you like taking 3 mile walks to get a PS pump in the middle of the night ;)) but BAP or RATR it was the exact opposite, absolutely nothing.

As for tools, do a bare chassis prep and keep whatever tools you used on a workbench, make a list, and go buy those same tools that never get touched outside of a race and stay in the car. Check it every year to make sure nothing got left in the dirt.

Zac Reish

I carried the same basic parts in your list for local races aside from having a spare tie rod under the hood. For Baja it was always everything including the kitchen sink (unless you like taking 3 mile walks to get a PS pump in the middle of the night ;)) but BAP or RATR it was the exact opposite, absolutely nothing.

As for tools, do a bare chassis prep and keep whatever tools you used on a workbench, make a list, and go buy those same tools that never get touched outside of a race and stay in the car. Check it every year to make sure nothing got left in the dirt.
Haha. I was the first person to answer bens call on the other side of the moon that morning. Ben def should have had a pump. A Cap would have got you out of trouble. You handled that nightmare like a man. And I know that wasn’t the half of the hellmyou had to deal with. At the end of the day you and Ben won the Baja 1000. So thank you.

Some good stuff here. Keep these odds and ends coming.

Radiobirdman32

When doing our prep, I try to everything with the tools that we carry in the car. At least start the job with those tools and then maybe move on to air tools etc. but it makes it very clear what is doable on the race course with what is on board. Brake line plugs zip tied to the arms, and spare rear axle and tie rod for longer races. Other than that, very similar to what you carry Zac.