TORC from Bark river great!!

Slash01z

Reaction
I really felt the the extra half hour gave TORC some time to show great racing along with more "behind the scenes" stuff. With the hour show it would go one race straight to the next while the 1 1/2 length gives them the chance to talk to drivers more then just the post race interview.

They did a much better job on not zooming in so much on trucks this time.

Pro-Lite Brian

Reaction
It was good coverage! It was nice to see the "Lites" class get some air time, they've had some of the best racing of the year.

I wonder one thing though, why do we need to cut AWAY FROM THE RACING to see the behind the scenes stuff? I like the short blurbs they do, as they give the viewers a little sense of being there. I would rather see all the behind the scenes stuff before the class takes the track,and then do a comercial, come back from the comercial for the green flag drop, go straight through 'till the competition caution and then take a comercial break. Come back from break and show the race going green through checkers. Do a comercial and then interview the top 3...

Same number of comercials, and it would let the viewer get more into the flow of the race! Take a little time to show the trucks as they sit on the starting line while they're clean (to help out the sponsors), especially the trucks that aren't typically going to get coverage during the racing. The same thing can be done on the parade lap during the comp. yellow. This would help the guys running 4th-8th. keep their sponsors happy, and show that this sport has advertising benefit for all the top 8 teams instead of just the top 3 teams. Sure, the top 3 teams should get more coverage, but they aren't the only teams putting on the show!

450grl

Reaction
I loved the coverage!!! Woke up, slept in a little...spent my morning still snuggled in bed watching Off-Road racing!! Can't think of a better way to start my day (if I can't actually be behind the wheel, that is!) ESPN did a great job!! Congrats to the LeDucs for sweeping the podium!

ProLite13

Reaction
It was good coverage! It was nice to see the "Lites" class get some air time, they've had some of the best racing of the year.

I wonder one thing though, why do we need to cut AWAY FROM THE RACING to see the behind the scenes stuff? I like the short blurbs they do, as they give the viewers a little sense of being there. I would rather see all the behind the scenes stuff before the class takes the track,and then do a comercial, come back from the comercial for the green flag drop, go straight through 'till the competition caution and then take a comercial break. Come back from break and show the race going green through checkers. Do a comercial and then interview the top 3...

Same number of comercials, and it would let the viewer get more into the flow of the race! Take a little time to show the trucks as they sit on the starting line while they're clean (to help out the sponsors), especially the trucks that aren't typically going to get coverage during the racing. The same thing can be done on the parade lap during the comp. yellow. This would help the guys running 4th-8th. keep their sponsors happy, and show that this sport has advertising benefit for all the top 8 teams instead of just the top 3 teams. Sure, the top 3 teams should get more coverage, but they aren't the only teams putting on the show!

BINGO THIS IDEA IS A WIN/WIN WINNER all the way around. $$$

DP13

Slash01z

Reaction
Yes, Totally aggre.

When they have more time the should show the drivers lining up and actually do some sort of a driver Bio with there main sponsors for evry driver. They get right into the race with out basically introducing the drivers which is great to get peoples attention just channel surfing but the drivers and there sponsors need some time before the race so if they brake the first lap it isn;t like they didnt even race.

Pro lite Brian you hit everything right on the head.

hoeker

Reaction
i thought the show was much improved again, they finally actually showed a start instead of some stupid shot of a bunch of tires rushing the camera. the extra half hour helped the quality a bunch but they still didn't show any racing out of the top 4.

Take a little time to show the trucks as they sit on the starting line while they're clean (to help out the sponsors), especially the trucks that aren't typically going to get coverage during the racing. The same thing can be done on the parade lap during the comp. yellow. This would help the guys running 4th-8th. keep their sponsors happy, and show that this sport has advertising benefit for all the top 8 teams instead of just the top 3 teams. Sure, the top 3 teams should get more coverage, but they aren't the only teams putting on the show!
if they don't listen to this advice soon there will only be 5 trucks on the track and no show at all.

Ziggy

Reaction
i thought the show was much improved again, they finally actually showed a start instead of some stupid shot of a bunch of tires rushing the camera. the extra half hour helped the quality a bunch but they still didn't show any racing out of the top 4.

if they don't listen to this advice soon there will only be 5 trucks on the track and no show at all.
Yea that could have been better.Mark Oberg had a 2nd and a 4th and I never saw his truck in the coverage.

3D of 3DCS

Reaction
Yea that could have been better.Mark Oberg had a 2nd and a 4th and I never saw his truck in the coverage.
Exactly. How's a guy supposed to get any sponsors if he doesn't have anything to show them!

Bridges

Senior Replay
Reaction
"This is GREAT STUFF"!

A better focus group has never been assembled!
Knock Knock production.

baja619

Reaction
anyway to catch it again?

I was gone at the night race

shortcourse

Reaction
show was killer - espn delivered with this show. don't mean to bum out the "other" series, but this is on another level. i was watching nascar and this show was way more intense than those guys gong in circles. love those tight shots in torc. and really thought it was cool how most of the time you got to see the drivers and hear them without losingany racing. and what about mcgrath and his cage coming off! the guys keeps racing while he's wrestling with it. the privateer talk section was cool, also, with hoek, oberg and vandenheuval, and then the flying dutchman almost won the race, and it was great seeing him almost beat the big bucks guys. can't wait for crandon live!

ProLite13

Reaction
Exactly. How's a guy supposed to get any sponsors if he doesn't have anything to show them!

Precisely! This is a problem that needs attention ASAP!

I had an awesome program laced together allowing our team to race the entire season years 2007 and 2008.

I did not take from the existing sponsor pool either. I was able to bring new sponsors to the game that were very eager to get involved and grow with the team and the sport but with limited coverage it was a hard sell for 2009.

So limited coverage equals limited budget equals limited race schedule for 2009 and back to the drawing board for 2010. How many times do we have to go back to the drawing board WTF?

Things are looking up but its still a hard sell for 2010 looks like the trend is to gather 20 smaller sponsors that are not expecting a huge return just some good ol name recognition and promotion. Whatever it takes I guess if you want it bad enough you make it work.

What gets me the most is the amount of new money that comes into the sport each year that could be cultivated year after year, but instead is out a year later because of this exact problem. There are players out there that want in the game but if its the same game without tweaking or changing whats being done already there not interested.

Also I'm not about to lie to these people just to get a fast buck these are people that I respect and that respect me for a no bull I failed spelling straight shooter approach and opinion on whats happening out there in the world of offroad racing today. There are way to many people out there looking for a freebie and they don't fully understand the entire process.

If you have a complete program to sell go for it. If you don't then build on what you have until you do then bring it to the plate. Stop asking sponsors to build your program and then not be able to perform leaving a bad taste in their mouth forever. Its killing the game stop it you know who you are.

Thanks,

DP:cool:

RoushYates Engines

Reaction
I thought this was by far the best showing of the season so far, in all aspects of the production from the announcers they used, camera work and showing some of the guys thru out the field. The biggest problem for short course racing on tv i see with respect to giving tv time to guys running off the front of the field is that the race is so short in lenght that unlike other forums of racing on tv (ie NASCAR) that has 3+ hours to fill, the 1 or 1 1/2 hours of programing for 3 classes does not leave much time to show case what happens on track. The other thing that happens is the number of cameras that are being used to try and keep up with whats happening over the whole track during the race, the more cameras the more the production cost which has to come from somewhere like more comericals which in turn takes time from showing the race. Even in NASCAR the smaller teams will hardly get any tv time unless they wreck or have some trouble or run up front and your talking 20 grand just for tires for a weekend let a lone the other expenses to be there and get to the track. Is this prefect no can it be better yes at least TORC seems to be improving with what they are showing each week. Hopefully by next season they will be able to have a showing of the Saturday races.

doug38s

Reaction
Awesome coverage and it was great to show the lite class getting it. I think the best racing from the weekend was watching the battle of Hart, Currie, Hord and others beat each other up.

philsmike

Reaction
Didn't you know that Crandon is a little piece of Baja. I think CORR used to mention this in their description of the races.

So come back and give RJ, RG,TL, ST, RM, JM, MO, RH, DB, the dutchman and the rest a run for their money.

--------

Yes it was the best broadcast yet. Always room for improvement, but for the amount of time they had, the show was awesome.

Last edited:

pdailey

Racer
Reaction
Didn't you know that Crandon is a little piece of Baja. I think CORR used to mention this in their description of the races.

So come back and give RJ, RG,TL, ST, RM, JM, MO, RH, DB, the dutchman and the rest a run for their money.

--------

Yes it was the best broadcast yet. Always room for improvement, but for the amount of time they had, the show was awesome.
I would like to buy a vowel.............

ProLite13

Reaction
I thought this was by far the best showing of the season so far, in all aspects of the production from the announcers they used, camera work and showing some of the guys thru out the field. The biggest problem for short course racing on tv i see with respect to giving tv time to guys running off the front of the field is that the race is so short in lenght that unlike other forums of racing on tv (ie NASCAR) that has 3+ hours to fill, the 1 or 1 1/2 hours of programing for 3 classes does not leave much time to show case what happens on track. The other thing that happens is the number of cameras that are being used to try and keep up with whats happening over the whole track during the race, the more cameras the more the production cost which has to come from somewhere like more comericals which in turn takes time from showing the race. Even in NASCAR the smaller teams will hardly get any tv time unless they wreck or have some trouble or run up front and your talking 20 grand just for tires for a weekend let a lone the other expenses to be there and get to the track. Is this prefect no can it be better yes at least TORC seems to be improving with what they are showing each week. Hopefully by next season they will be able to have a showing of the Saturday races.

You seem like an intelligent man. Let me ask you this question do you think it would help or hurt if the TV team was directed to at least film all the race vehicles before the race started and commentating was done right along with it? Maybe it could be done in staging where we are required to be there 30 min prior to start of the race.

How much time would that really take? I can see a huge benefits coming from that one move alone not to mention panning back every now and then. Since you mention Nascar I'm not a fan but I see the benefits as a racer trying to race to the way they do things by promoting all of their racers efforts. (Hardly would work for me guranteed)

DP:cool:

shortcourse

Reaction
now that is one silly question and the answer is obvious: do what vandenhueval did - run your rig upfront! if you don't have the talent, guts, appeal or resources, what do you expect is going to happen? this is america, and while obama may want to give things away, there's nothing socialiasm about the race track - to the winners go the spoils! you want a gift? you want something for nothing? them other guys did whatever they did to get upfront and get sponsors and win races - and vandenheuvel did it without sponsors, so it's possible. and i watched that show - seems like everyone got a mention anyway, plus they did that story on all the privateers and showed them all some attention even if they didn't do crap on the track.