TORC mandates V8 Pro-Lights / Crandon last race for the 4 cyl

pdailey

Pug Dad
RDC Crypto
Im sure Johnny/Rick/Jeff K/Kyle/Chad H/Rodrigo/Fig learned a ton while in the PL class, race budgets, set up, gained resources and driving skill. I'll take you on that bet. The PL class served its purpose and made them into Professional drivers. I feel the V8 PL would make the drivers lazy and rely on the easy to use power the V8 PL delivers. IMO

800hp makes them lazy. These "V8"'s aren't as powerful as you think. These V8 PL guys still drive their asses off.

Sir Prize

RDC Crypto
TORC didn't save their Pro-Lite class they simply got rid of it and replaced it with something more palatable to the midwestern mindset. A Pro-Lite with a V8 really isn't a Pro-Lite. What's "Lite" about that? It's hard work to make a little motor go fast. I guess some people like to have it easier. But hard work is what separates the pros from the guys that just show up to do laps. That's what prepares you for the upper classes: hard work and problem solving. And by the way, doesn't V8s in Pro-Lite make Sporty-2 really redundant?

philsmike

RDC Crypto
Website
www.philsinc.com
Both sides of this discussion have valid points.

Like any good sanctioning body like TORC & LOORS, you understand the business of motorsports, and part of that understanding is to get feedback from your racers, sponsors, tv production, your fan base, and your financial statement. It isn't just about which PRO-Light (Lite) package is best because of an engine and driveline package, several other factors must be considered.

Right now both series seem to have a very healthy PRO-L class for the 2011 season.

Albeit different rules package in each series, but seemingly healthy. If the off-road community can support both, so be it.....

But in a perfect world....... If all the rules in all the classes were the same, why would there be the need for two separate sanctioning bodies? Separate race series, based upon region or business philosophy is very understandable, but in a perfect off-road world one sanctioning body would assist in the forward movement of short-course off-road racing. Let's all be glad the short-course racers still have places to race.

hoeker

RDC Crypto
Website
www.rosshoek.com
And by the way, doesn't V8s in Pro-Lite make Sporty-2 really redundant?

as one of few drivers that has gone from Pro-2 to pro-lite i can comment on this.

sporty-2 is still a full size truck which is more fun to drive than a lite and still a stepping stone to pro-2. sporty 2 will be a regional class for guys that don't want to travel, pro-lite will include travel and lots of test time to podium in 2011. unfortunately pro-lite might be cheaper to run, has great TV, and the best purse in the sport. that makes it a huge draw to many. i see sporty-2 and stock truck taking the biggest hit because of the success of the v-8 prolite.

i still want to get back into a full size truck ASAP and hope learning to drive a 74" wide prolite on the edge makes me a better driver when i get back to the full size trucks. is a v-8 prolite easy to drive, no, is it easier than a manual transmission truck, probably.

its not worth arguing about, if the west coast teams like spending 8k to freshen a 4cyl every 2-3 weekends that's great. personally i'd rather spend 8k once and be good for the year and use the extra money and time to make the rest of my program better through test time.

RoushYates Engines

RDC Crypto
I don't think any of the top running teams (in any of the classes) have it easy no matter how the class is structured, that's what makes them the top running teams. It is the hard work and commitment that the team puts into it that makes all the difference.

philsmike

RDC Crypto
Website
www.philsinc.com
I don't think any of the top running teams (in any of the classes) have it easy no matter how the class is structured, that's what makes them the top running teams. It is the hard work and commitment that the team puts into it that makes all the difference.

Mike you said it perfectly.

joshfranklinmotorsports

RDC Crypto
IMO this sport needs to be recruiting more new competitors.... From the perspective of being a beginner and looking up... The crate 8 deal makes PL look much more appealing or obtainable to a racer on a budget....

todd5c

RDC Crypto
TORC didn't save their Pro-Lite class they simply got rid of it and replaced it with something more palatable to the midwestern mindset. A Pro-Lite with a V8 really isn't a Pro-Lite. What's "Lite" about that? It's hard work to make a little motor go fast. I guess some people like to have it easier. But hard work is what separates the pros from the guys that just show up to do laps. That's what prepares you for the upper classes: hard work and problem solving. And by the way, doesn't V8s in Pro-Lite make Sporty-2 really redundant?
Whats hard about making a little engine go fast, It's just takes $$ and even the guys with the big $$ still have engine problems. As for preparing for the upper classes, what is better than the trucks having the same power, now it puts the job in the hands of the driver and learning how to set up your truck for the track conditions, not just who has the biggest budget. So in my opinion this is what's going to make the differents when you move to the upper classes, knowing were to put those $$

DW_810_Stock

RDC Crypto
Website
www.waldvogelracing.com
Im sure Johnny/Rick/Jeff K/Kyle/Chad H/Rodrigo/Fig learned a ton while in the PL class, race budgets, set up, gained resources and driving skill. I'll take you on that bet. The PL class served its purpose and made them into Professional drivers. I feel the V8 PL would make the drivers lazy and rely on the easy to use power the V8 PL delivers. IMO

I didn't say they didn't learn a lot in PL...my point is that driving a P2 is not like driving a PL. I don't know how much the "skills" transfer. P2 transfer all kinds of weight, major CG changes, and you drive them with the throttle a lot more than a pro-light from what I can see.

Super Truck is a better grooming class for P2, because set-ups, driving technique, and a vast majority of the equipment transfers from one class to the other...a very natural progression. A dominating driver from Super Truck should be able to mix it up with Pro-2's right out of the box...very limited learning curve.

That's my only point....I'm sure all those guys learned a lot about how to run a championship program in Pro Light but you can do that in other classes too if the competition is right.

Volkspower Racing

RDC Crypto
Website
facebook.com
I heard a rumor that V8's will be legal in Lucas in 2012, can anybody confirm? If so I see that class being huge, but also seeing it hurt the pro buggy class, seems like it would be way less expensive to do a v8 prolite over a unlimited dune hopper!

9five9

RDC Crypto
I love the sound of those four cylinders, but I fear it's just a matter of time before they end up in the same place as all the 2-stroke supercross bike motors.

RDC Crypto
Website
www.roostersynthetics.com
As a member of a pro lite team i can say the v8 package is the best news in years. After a 2010 season of 5 engine failures at $$$$$ a pop the crate ford racing engine that should easily run all season with no trouble will be a huge help to our bottom line and allow us to continue racing. The 4 cyl made great sound and were fun to watch but the maintenance and rebuilds were very time consuming and costly. Next there is many miles between where torc runs and where loors hold their events and not many teams could afford to criss cross the US so why is there so much friction between the two? Strong arming each other will do nothing but harm the sport. Until if and when the sport is as big as say nascar theres plenty of room for both sanctioning bodies. And lastly I to heard LOORS is going v8 in the pro lite soon. True or not I dont know. Good luck to all racers in 2011!!!!

www.roostersynthetics.com (amsoil dealer)
ATD Transmissions
Ford Racing Engines
Maxxis Tires
ISP Seats
Fastenal of Taylorville,Illinois
PSC Steering