Torsion Bar vs Coil Over (not beating a dead horse)

CliffDynamite

Reaction
I am not trying to beat a dead horse here on comparing the two springs. Rather just looking for some advice on a suspension set up. I have been doing a ton of research and have talked with fab shops and have been given two different opinions so I am looking to get some more. This will be a 4wd mid travel set up. Should I stay with torsion bars and run a bypass shock (single or double) or convert to a coilover setup. I could not find much information on torsion bar bypass setups in a mid travel set up. Thanks.

Chris Tobin

Reaction
I am not trying to beat a dead horse here on comparing the two springs. Rather just looking for some advice on a suspension set up. I have been doing a ton of research and have talked with fab shops and have been given two different opinions so I am looking to get some more. This will be a 4wd mid travel set up. Should I stay with torsion bars and run a bypass shock (single or double) or convert to a coilover setup. I could not find much information on torsion bar bypass setups in a mid travel set up. Thanks.
I am assuming that you are talking about a GM style truck and suspension and the main issues I see as a negative with the torsion bar style is the weight and ground clearance. My personal truck is swapped from the factory torsion bar setup to a coil over setup using a Pure Performance kit that I believe is no longer in production. It rides much better on the street and in the dirt and has much more ground clearance... I think I will be improving it more with new control arms that do not use drop brackets like my current setup and also going to a bypass and coil over on each corner rather than the dual coil overs I currently have...

Chris Tobin

Reaction
It is a GMT800. Thank you for the input.
I figured... It really depends on what you want to do with it... For mall crawling and mild off road fun a torsion bar lift will be great, low cost (relatively), good looks and easy. For more serious off road use a custom coil-over setup will be better but it will cost more as well...

CliffDynamite

Reaction
I have a lift currently and upgraded shocks, but nothing special. It crawls ok but more articulation would be nice. I am looking to mostly improve it on the washboard, rocky roads, and mild whoops. As of now I have to creep through those sections of trails, otherwise have my fillings knocked out. I am fine with spending the money. Ill be going kings up front with better UCAs. It's now the question of running the T-bars with 2.5 dual bypass shocks or ditching the T-bars for 2.5 coilovers.

Reaction
Sure easier to tune with coils. Upgrade now and save time and money in the long run.