Tortoise or the Hare in Desert racing?

Who wins more Desert races? the Tortoise or the Hare?

• Total voters

MTPyle

Reaction
Poll- See above

Who wins more desert races? the fast guy that makes some mistakes or the slower consistent guy?

We have been debating which driver should race our truck in the KOH T2 race. This has brought up an interesting debate.

We have 2 drivers and one is slower and consistent and the other is faster but makes more mistakes (i.e. cut tires). So the true Tortoise and Hare.

Curios what you guys think? If you were a team owner which would you pick and why? for a race like KOH Desert race.

Dont worry you wont hurt my feelings and this is not just about our team. Kind of a general debate.

Obviously if we could get Connor Pyle AKA Cole Trickle to save his tires and still be fast that would be the best. LOL

Mike

MTPyle

Reaction
Haha yes buggy’s get to vote. Hehe

and I don’t think our tires are the problem. Every blown tire Connor has had took out a wheel in the process. We have never had a flat with a good wheel on our Toyo tires. No tire can survive a hit that bends a wheel.

Mike

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
In unlimited you have to be fast. I mean ya have to run at 110% all day. And ya have to be lucky. And the other guys have to be unlucky. I've seen races where over 964 miles the difference between first and first loser was less than 15 seconds.

I expect this to be the same in 6100.

In our class (7/7200) we are for sure "the hare". Dialed truck, team, drivers and logistics and we were always winning right before we lose. Winning is really all we care about. It's all I care about anyway. After ya win once or twice its a needle in your arm and its all that matters.

Mike- The ridgeline is slated to run in 6100 at KOH. I assure you that we are gonna be the hare. In Baja we're up in the mix with the spec TTs pretty quickly into the race. Our class is so small that in my head I am pretending we are racing 6100's also. We have the disadvantage of having to cut through the ten cars to get to the back of the pack of 6100 but we still hang pretty well. I am excited to see where we stack up without that and getting to qualify.

Zac Reish

Reaction
Here is the truth the guy who is fast but makes mistakes will end up being. The more succesful racer.

Turtles rarely win unless it’s in classes that have like 1 or 2 entered.

swiftracing5

Reaction
Agree with Zac. I’m happy to finish a hard race in Baja. I’m not happy to finish 5th at a local race.
Cheesy quote: fortune favors the brave.
Mini Mig29 post ;)
A lot of variables but you’re in a very competitive class, it depends what your motives are. Finish and build confidence or be aggressive, find your and your trucks limits.

If your son is fast but needs to learn and refine his car control, put him in the seat.

Bogus One

Reaction
Destroying wheels and tires means "too much Hare"
Sprint, Relax, Sprint
Pre-run or not, ya gotta be able to read the environment

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Depends on the field. In this race in particular, because of the car count and the money at the end, 20 guys are going balls to the walls and 10 are gonna run trouble free. Just like it used to be in the 1980s with the 1600 class. The quote that you need to pay attention to is Luck favors the prepared.

JWHracing

Reaction
Depends on the length of the race and who else is there. Can't blow your load in the first 10 miles, and i've seen plenty in front of me do just that. You can't win a race in the first 10 miles but you can definitely lose it. I get that every advantage helps, but if your equipment can't last or you're putting it into the situation where it becomes a time bomb, that's not going to win you a race. Fast is smooth and smooth is fast.

C4

Reaction
In the 300 mile race that KOH will be, it will be won by the one that pushes the limits the most. The spoiler will be if they throw in any technical areas that will require a more "careful pace". Still in that short of a race it will be the one who takes the most risks and pushes harder. There are no points to race for. No "we will get em next time". If I am correct there is no money for anything past 3rd either.

MTPyle

Reaction
In unlimited you have to be fast. I mean ya have to run at 110% all day. And ya have to be lucky. And the other guys have to be unlucky. I've seen races where over 964 miles the difference between first and first loser was less than 15 seconds.

I expect this to be the same in 6100.

In our class (7/7200) we are for sure "the hare". Dialed truck, team, drivers and logistics and we were always winning right before we lose. Winning is really all we care about. It's all I care about anyway. After ya win once or twice its a needle in your arm and its all that matters.

Mike- The ridgeline is slated to run in 6100 at KOH. I assure you that we are gonna be the hare. In Baja we're up in the mix with the spec TTs pretty quickly into the race. Our class is so small that in my head I am pretending we are racing 6100's also. We have the disadvantage of having to cut through the ten cars to get to the back of the pack of 6100 but we still hang pretty well. I am excited to see where we stack up without that and getting to qualify.

dan

I don’t get why you guys would want to race against 6100 or use that as a measurement of success. That’s like us being excited if we beat a Trophylite R4.

I would hope you guys would beat 6100 trucks that have limited power.

fact is the 6100 Trucks are the underdogs at the KOH race and really just there to give the guys with more power someone to beat.

We are racing against 3 Unlimited classes that should beat us.

I am totally cool racing with you guys and glad you are able to race. But if you guys get 3rd in 6100 and we get forth it will piss me off. LOL. We have been working hard to get a podium and would really suck to have it taken away by another class truck with unlimited power.

I hope Dave keeps the 6100 as one group.

Mike

Speedster

Reaction
Mike, 6100 should be faster than 7200. But the team Dan is on has their entire program dialed.

MTPyle

Reaction
Not sure that’s true. That Honda truck is damn fast and crazy power to weight ratio. And it’s a truck not a buggy, so it is faster Haha. And yes they are super dialed and great guys. Not taking anything away from what they do and how they race. Just that there are different classes for a reason.

Mike

MTPyle

Reaction
Ok sorry for getting off topic.

still interested in what people think about faster compared to safer driver

I have never been in a truck with Luke Mcmillin but Jason Duncan told me they do not drive super crazy fast. But Luke and Jason have had an amazing record over the last year or so.

I have watched videos of Luke and he seems damn fast to me but he sure does seem to be consistent and smooth.

still not sure what we will do for KOH. We may go with the high risk high reward option. No reason to go slower and let that damn honda beat us. If we have any chance of beating the Bullies in the unlimited vehicles we need to go 110%

Mike