Tortoise or the Hare in Desert racing?

Who wins more Desert races? the Tortoise or the Hare?

• Total voters

SMS81

Reaction
The days of the tortious are in the past. Too many well prepped, reliable vehicles with talented drivers to take a “out last them” approach.

As far as Luke or any of the top guys not being “super crazy fast”, you have to understand what scale their level of driving and speed capability is at. Their slow is faster than yours, mine and 99% of all racers ”crazy fast“. That is why they are the elite and stand on top the podium and we dream about how nice it would be to just compete.

Besides, it sucks to be conservative!!

AZ7000'

Reaction
Are you a racer or a participant? Racers can win, participants podium through attrition...

That is my thought anyway.

EL ROMAN

Reaction
Mike, you answer your own question. If the question is who wins more races, its the faster driver. But at the same time, what is your goal? DNFs suck, and on some courses for some races, a finish is a win in itself. If the goal is to get to the finish, then consistency is key. The good thing is, you have both. Manage the drivers, their temperament (driving-wise) and finish races. Finish races, and get faster.

MTPyle

Reaction
Our goal is to podium. And we understand that with that goal we may have more DNF's So for that reason we are putting Connor in the left seat for KOH. We have already proven we can go slow and finish.

Still not sure if we should put me in for the last lap as i would be fresh but I think Connor has the stamina to make the 300 miles.

I think one of the keys is to have a truck that you do not feel like you are pushing but still going fast. I think we finally have that as long as we don't make any rookie mistakes in the prep. We made changes to the truck but i dont think we changed anything that could hurt us. Just added Hand brake and a bunch of aero changes.

Mike

johndjmix

Reaction
Smooth and fast pre run speed works for us in trophylite. In most classes for the long races you can’t run 110%, you crash, you break. If you can pull this off (I know some TT teams do) I have you a lot of credit. Super tough to do.

Baja is another animal. Like others I feel just finishing is a win.

—john