Total Chaos and Brake Calipers...

Reaction
I just got the Total Chaos Uniball kit installed on my truck and I was wondering if anyone else out there was having problems with thier calipers hitting the lower control arm where the uniball is. On the side of the calipers there are two bolt holes where a brake line bracket goes that when the whell is turned and compressed it travels into the lower control arm. Any suggestions besides cut the bolt holes off??? Thanx

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
We just installed the kit on Dan's Yota and we have 0 problems with it....

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society

Reaction
Thanx for the response Fish. I wonder what the prob is with mine then. You guys didn't have to do any extra modifying or fab work? Dan's Yota just keeps gettin better.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Nope we just bolted it all on....Make sure you have everything forward and on the right side....

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society

cleartoy

Reaction
Pre RUnning, Ive had the same problem. If you make a really tight u turn, the caliper will hit the back side of the lower arm and push the piston in, push fluid out the resivoir and you lose your brakes. You have to pump the pedal up quickly to get some pedal. TC is aware of the problem but didnt offer a solution when i asked.

You need to make some steering stops as this kit has no provision for them.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

Jkrell

Reaction
I have never driven or heard of a toyota that didn't have this problem to some extent....best way to fix the problem is figure out a way to put some kind of stearing stop in there.

Jon

NorCal_Prerunner

Reaction
Wow....... I thought Chaos was the only kit on the market without it's fair share of problems. Between this and my issue with the upper balljoints, I guess not. I am not saying that their stuff isn't quality, just a little bit surprised.

J_

It's never too late to be what you might have been....

OGCamber

Reaction
Yeah, because the way that the hub center gets moved down with the modified spindle the caliper will hit the lower control arm. But it has to be cranked over super hard to make contact. All you have to do is devise a pretty simple steering stop. After putting a couple of little tabs on my truck it hasn't had any trouble. In fact the only problems I have had since putting the kit on have been with wheel bearings and the shock towers -- neither of which had anything to do with TC. To tell you the truth, I couldn't be happier with the kit.

Courtney Halowell
Editor, StreetTrucks Magazine
www.streettrucksmag.com

geoff

Reaction
come on man. Thats sort of a cheesy response, you are *modifying* a vehicle extensively. How can you expect it to do something that it was not intended to do, without compromising?

The chaos kit is awesome, its the best 2wd toyota kit ive seen.i

This is like when the majority of my customers who want 600 whp civics but want the car to be quiet and still have AC... gotta be realistic.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." -- Willy Wonka

NorCal_Prerunner

Reaction
We're talking about a pre-fabricated bolt on kit here. Oh, by the way, your brakes might fail if you turn too much at full bump, or if your upper balljoints don't mushroom out just right you could have a balljoint failure driving home from the desert.

All, I was saying, is that for 2 years on the board I haven't heard a single complaint about Chaos, until now. Both are small issues that can easily be dealt with, and once again, Chaos DOES make quality stuff. I just find it suprising to hear about and experience these minor issues.

Oh, and Geoff, I don't think brake failure or balljoint failure is a good compromise for a little extra travel and a wider stance. I guess it my turn today to take some bashing. I thought I was on the PBB for a minute :O)

It's never too late to be what you might have been....

geoff

Reaction
no bashing at all -- just saying there have to be some compromises, somewhere.

definately no P4x here =) im certianly in no position to do any bashing, but from the other kits ive seen the chaos is far and away the best. The spindle alone says volumes for their quality of fab. It is more than a slightly wider stance and more travel. They are the only ones ive seen doing a toyota kit with anything other than straight stock for the spindle.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." -- Willy Wonka

Reaction
Ok, well I have no complaints about the TC kit. It is an incredible kit by any means. I was just curious if anyone had the same prob and what they did. So, thanks again for your responses. I recieved an e-mail from TC today, I guess they saw the post and replied via e-mail. Here is the exact email:

You must have purchased an older uniball kit. We have made modifications over 8 months ago to the lower arms to help eliminate the "steering stop" issues. The new design offers clearance at full turn to the caliper. The origial design had not enough caliper clearance at full turn. The original owners were informed at the time of purchase regarding this issue and given a few fix tips. A simple steering stop bracket can be made and installed to the frame for the idler arm and pitman arms to contact that will limit steering before the caliper hit the lower control arms. Similar to the brackets on a factory 86-95 Toyota 4x4. For any additional question please contact 909-737-9682.

Thank you,

TOTAL CHAOS Fabrication
159 North Maple St. # J
Corona, CA 92880
p. 909-737-9682
f. 909-737-9006

cleartoy

Reaction
Pre Runnin, I recieved a similar email with the same fix tips.

So let it be known, TC has offered me suggestions. I still love the kit.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??