• Forum membership has its advantages....

Total Chaos for 87 Toyota 4Runner

fox_mccloud2000

From what everyone has said about Total Chaos suspension parts. Total Chaos is the best way to go. Right?
I'm trying to get into off-road racing and I would love all the advice I can get on everything related to racing. What is the best way to start. And so on. The only problem I see in racing is that I live in colorado and there is nothing out here that comes close to off-road racing. Almost everything is rock crawling. Its something I don't want to do.
If anyone can help me in this area please post.

Thanks
-Matt-

Cameron

Matt, Check out B.O.R.E. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.redrockoffroad.com/boreracing/index/htm>www.redrocksoffroad.com/boreracing/index/htm</A>
we have several teams that come over from Colo.
under " team profiles" are two of them, Schifanelli Motorsports and Fire Guys Racing.

<font color=red>Cameron</font color=red>
<font color=yellow>BRAT Racing # 936</font color=yellow><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Cameron on 08/29/01 12:16 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

Cameron

try this www.redrockoffroad.com and follow the links
<font color=red>Cameron</font color=red>
<font color=yellow>BRAT Racing # 936</font color=yellow><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Cameron on 08/29/01 12:25 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

mobben

ADVANCED TOYOTA SUSPENSION BUILDS THE BEST WORKING TOYOTA SUSPENSION HANDS DOWN! GIVE THEM A CALL AT (909)471-5111

TDORSloppy

Matt,

What I'm writing here is not rag on anyone but the truth hurts. ATS has had many problems in the past. Not to me personally but to people I've known for a long time and random people I've met in the desert and elsewhere. I was at Kragen one day and saw a kid pull up in a Tacoma with King coilovers and an ATS kit. We got to talking and he started telling me that the upper arm was cracking at the pivot mount. I asked why he had not taken it back yet. He said that ATS had not been picking up their phone for a week. I still don't know what happened to him but I would not be wanting to drive around on a cracked A-Arm, would you?

Another guy in Glamis was telling me that he got a 2WD kit from ATS. He eyed the pivot mounts on the upper before putting it on and to his surprise they were offset from one another. He decided to go to Total Chaos he said.

If you just check out race-dezert.com you'll see lots of people tell the stories about ATS but you won't see any link to their site. I guess race-dezert only want repitable companies for people to see.

All in all, think before you invest money, research the companies, and talk to current and past customers. Nothing sucks more than being in the middle of nowhere with a broken suspension.

Scott W.

fox_mccloud2000

Thanks everyone.
I've heard that ATS is not the best solution for suspension. I've already talked with someone who has their setup and he said that they arn't the best way to go. He said he had some problems with them.
I know that Total Chaos IS the best way to go. And to have Protrux send me the kits and so on.
Any other advice or something else I should know before persuing Off-Road Racing?

Thanks
-Matt-

Klaus

Administrator
I hate to get into this in public but since the subject came up I will give it my version.

We received complaints from unhappy customers saying that they conducted business with ATS and where unsatisfied to say the least. They learned about ATS from our links section and even though we just provide a listing to other websites I felt for some of them and gave in to removing the link after not getting a reply via e-mail from ATS about some of the accusations.

I personally have no bad experience with ATS. I say hello to Scott Sells in the desert when I see him race and he shall conduct his business any way he likes.

All I know is based on other peoples statements. Truthful or not. I was simply unable to obtain a second point of view, that's why the link got removed. All this happened month ago and things may have changed.

On a contrary I have heard nothing but good things about Total Chaos kits.

ATS website is (?): <A target="_blank" HREF=http://members.xoom.com/atsracing>http://members.xoom.com/atsracing</A>

race-deZert.com doesn't get paid to have any site listed and we reserve the right to list or NOT list anyone we feel like.

mobben

HOW COME I ALWAYS HERE NOT TO ME PERSONALY? I 'VE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING DIRECT FROM THE SOURCE. THE PEOPLE THAT I HAVE MET WITH ATS SUSPENSION HAVE NOTHING BUT GOOD THINGS TO SAY ABOUT ATS. AS FAR AS CRACKED A-ARMS AND MISS ALIGNED PIVOT POINTS I HAVE NEVER HEARD NOR SEEN ANY OF THAT. I HAVE HEARD OF THE CUSTOMER SERVICE ISSUES BUT NEVER OF PRODUCT FAILURE.

shroom27

Well, last season as I was leaving Oldsmobile Hill at Glamis I came across a mini-Tacoma that appeared to have a collapsed front-end. I drove up to the owner who was sitting on top of a berm waiting for a tow& asked about his truck. He said that one of his ATS arms broke after jumping the berm. He did mention that he had jumped the same berm the previous day flawlessly & he claimed that he was getting 17" of travel up front. (can mini-tacoma's even get that that much travel?!) I didn't bother sticking around to check out the damage up-close because he was in a really foul mood, which was totally understandable. laters

Dillon

Or a guy in northern California that had the long travel setup put on his 4wd Tacoma and ATS kept charging and charging more stuff to him, yet, his custom axles NEVER worked, all they did was weld extensions onto the stock axles and they broke, then broke, then broke, he would call for help and they wouldn't return calls...mmmm, ghetto fab?

Chris, 17 inches? J-arms?

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Has anyone bothered to check the fine print or disclaimers that come with A.T.S. or any other suspension kits. I think every manufacture and fab shop states that their stuff is not for "off road" use for their own liability. Breaking parts while jumping does not seem odd at all. I have thousands of off road miles on my truck and have had minor breakage and bending, but it was not until regularly jumping it at Strange's place that I started breaking major componants. I challange any manufacture to design their kits for a four foot jump and make it reasonably affordable, avalible and streetable.

<font color=red>PAT KAPKO</font color=red>

gary

off-road.com has a little article and some pics on the total chaos kit this month, in case anyone is interested....

fishd00d

What A Joke
yea to bad off-road.com used their old kit. I would have liked to see a write up on the new one using the T100 axles :(

Go Big Or Go Home

drtdevil93

funny you should say that. on baja shops j arm setup, aj guarantees it up to 15 feet. if it breaks and you are 15 feet or lower, he fixes it free. not bad.

erik

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Could you please explain differences in the "old" kit from the "new"? Thanks

fishd00d

What A Joke
The old kit is extended 2" on each side and if you want to keep 4WD you have to buy the Porshe CV Axles for an extra $1000.

The new kit is 3 1/4" extended on each side and if you want to keep 4WD you can just get some axles for a Toyota T100 and put them on your pickup and you still have 4WD. There is no need to get the Porshe CV's.

Go Big Or Go Home

Jimmy8

I know baja concepts carry the stuff. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bajaconcepts.com>www.bajaconcepts.com</A>. When I was out there a couple of months ago, a guy that works there had a kit on his Toyota and it looked pretty trick. Give them a call at 1-760-723-2117. Ask for Mike, and I also think it was his truck.

Donahoe

We have the total chaos kits in stock as well... If you are in oc we can set you up... Donahoe Racing.

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

JasonHutter

Matt,

We run a Toyota in 7s and live in Snowmass Village, CO. You can e-mail me if you want or call me at 970 923 0782. We also have an awesome sponsor in Grand Junction that has some back ground in racing especially his fabricator. They are A.O.R. and their number is 970 263 4300, and there web address is www.aor4X4.com</A> .

Jason
Fire Guys Racing