Total domination by the AWD trucks at Baja 1000

rkracing

Even with the performance advantage of Awd it seems like a big factor in getting a win is having a clean race with minimal issues imo... Plus the current TT field is pretty competitive, many teams capable of winning.

EricGrind

I think the gamble with more moving parts, more weight and potentially less wheel travel that it’s still competitive enough as it is. But it still boils down to clean run versus issues. 76 did well in the mud.

DanMcMillin

Crane Motorsports
Nasser and Toby are used to races lasting multiple days/weeks, so they know how to both save their equipment and be fast and smooth at the same. And given the fact they were able to pre-run, which they are not used to, makes them even more of a threat. I'll be honest, I am very impressed at how well they did together. I think we will be seeing a lot more of them in Baja. Great for the sport.

As for AWD's, who in their right mind would EVER think they're competitive....

Last edited:

joshmx88

Yes the rally guys did well....but are you going to compare a rally race to the 1k? Race for a little, take a nap, work on the car, race a little tomorrow, maybe...more nap time...

michael.gonzalez

Yes the rally guys did well....but are you going to compare a rally race to the 1k? Race for a little, take a nap, work on the car, race a little tomorrow, maybe...more nap time...
Are you implying rallies are easy because there is time for naps and working on cars?

joshmx88

More or less, yes. Obviously not a rally fan here. Just saying, everyone gets all wet when a successful rally driver comes to the desert and makes a scene. I think having to do the whole race at one time, with your crew staying up and alert for the same time is much more challenging. It would be like doing the 1k, but spending the night at every bfg pit. No thanks, the euro trash guys can have it.

mrlentle

More or less, yes. Obviously not a rally fan here. Just saying, everyone gets all wet when a successful rally driver comes to the desert and makes a scene. I think having to do the whole race at one time, with your crew staying up and alert for the same time is much more challenging. It would be like doing the 1k, but spending the night at every bfg pit. No thanks, the euro trash guys can have it.
I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about. Maybe watch some Dakar coverage and see how long the days are ,day after day. Yes the top teams do get the opportunity to sleep (assuming nothing has gone wrong) but plenty end up driving or riding through the night. They then don't head back to the States on Monday morning, they keep racing for another 12 days or so. Don't get me wrong - I have no doubt the Baja is bloody tough (and I admire anyone mad enough to drive an 11 car at the B1K) but to say the rally guys don't know tough is a completely ignorant statement.

Ask RG how the Dakar rates for difficulty and endurance testing...

Dezertpilot

The debate is settled. The AWD trucks finally proved their superiority. Everyone already knew they were superior, but people were waiting for proof. And now we have the proof!

Everyone who has a 2WD truck must sell it and get a Mason, now, if they ever want to win again. Ancient 2WD designs like ID and Racer are going to suffer a massive loss of value. If you have a 2WD truck, sell it now to some sucker, before it loses more value.

Plus, SCORE needs to split the TT class into two - one for AWD and one for 2WD, as there is no way the 2WD trucks can compete with the AWD trucks. Especially on a course like this, with so much mud and so many tight technical sections, AWD is an overwhelming advantage.
So you are basically saying if you were racing in the TT ranks you would always race a 2wd and never ever migrate over to the AWD class? Keep up with that train of thought and you will eventually get left in the dust. Anyone can win on any given day but the more advantages you can give yourself when racing the better. AWD will just continue to get better an better, I know where I'd put my money.

randy s

used to call it ''extreme camping'' lol

randy s

regarding the dakar racers, all i know is when i heard nasser say in an interview, that he was returning to the mil next year and that he would win the thing, it wasn't hard to take him seriously..those guys killed it and they'll be picked to win by a lot of folks..especially in a peninsula run ..it will be a blast following dakar soon and best of luck to them both in sand land

harleys dad

regarding the dakar racers, all i know is when i heard nasser say in an interview, that he was returning to the mil next year and that he would win the thing, it wasn't hard to take him seriously..those guys killed it and they'll be picked to win by a lot of folks..especially in a peninsula run ..it will be a blast following dakar soon and best of luck to them both in sand land
not to doubt Nasser but he did NOT have dust to contend with and I figure they would NOT have finished like they did if it was a normal Baja 1000. Yes they did fantastic but starting in the back with major dust changes everything but if they get the chance to start up front I see them fighting for the win no doubt

ACME

Sarcasm aside: The reality is once those AWD's do start winning consistently, it will just be a matter of time before they split the TT class.

It'll be for the exact same reasons why we already have and have had multiple "unlimited" classes

joshmx88

Oh sure!! Those rally guys are "bloody tough"!! Lots of rally love up in here all of sudden huh boys?

jon coleman

watched vid from 81' on the audi quatro rallie program, hmmmm ,lottsa familiar opinions then & now in tt, awd tt or go race your lay z boy recliner....check out that grp.b stuff, euro rallie guys back in 70s& 80s were nutzz( speed wise)

mrlentle

Oh sure!! Those rally guys are "bloody tough"!! Lots of rally love up in here all of sudden huh boys?
Rally raid you mean? Nothing new or all of a sudden for me my friend - there's a few of us on here that follow the Dakar every January. You'll find that in the Rally raid section.
Anyways, roll on the AWD TT truck banter. Apologies for veering off course!