Tour de France

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Any of you guys and gals been following it this year? I see a lot of similarities between the Tour and off-road racing in the way of chase teams, "prerunning" and different set ups for different stages. However, the biggest similarity I think is the sportsmanship amongst the athletes. Today for example, Armstrong fell while leading, but Ulrich, who is his main rival, stopped and waiting for Armstrong to get up and start riding, much like Armstrong did for him in 2001. I see the same in the off-road world when teams help out each with parts, and such as well as racers helping each other out on the course. When is the last time you saw this type of sportsmanship in mainstream professional sports where strangling your coach and taunting the other team are not uncommon? If your interested, OLN shows the race from 6-8 everynight. Check it out, its very interesting to watch.

P.S. It also provides an opportunity to watch the American's kick those French's butts!!

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
I have watched every year since I can remember, I have ridden rode bikes for a long time. My wife and I wake up every morning and watch it live on OLN. It makes July a great month, but once July is over the mornings get boring again.

dunerking

Reaction
Yeah, stage 15 was pretty amazing! When Ulrich tried to take off on Armstrong on the first climb early in the stage the announcer's almost sounded like they were going to crap there pants.That Ulrich is a diesel.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Ulrich is gnarly! He hardly ever gets out of the saddle and his face is always so intense. I'm glad to see him doing well as after he won in 97 he started partying pretty hard; culminating with getting busted on a drug test for Ecstasy and then crashing his car and getting a DUI.

Since today was a rest day, look for Armstrong to come out strong tommorrow!

Josh_Westwood

Reaction
The one similarity you see between both sports is the fans. On one side you have the great ones that cheer the competitors on and help the competitors find the extra energy it takes to keep going to the finish. On the other side are the ones that get a little over excited and close the course (like Zoo Road) getting out of the way at the last second. This is the part I do not like in either sport. It is dangerous and can cost both the spectator and the competitor their health. Lance went down in that last crash because of a spectator was waving a bag in front of him catching his handlebars. This could have easily cost him the race. There was a crash in one of the starting stages where one of the cyclists was riding near the railing, that is put in place to keep the spectators back, and a spectator was leaning over and hit the cyclist accidentally causing him to fall and hurt himself pretty badly, I am not sure if the cyclist was able to finish the stage. Luckily for Lance there are gentlemen racing with him. Especially his ex-teammate Tyler Hamilton who got ahead of everyone in the lead pack and told them to slow down for Lance to catch up.

I started watching the Tour de France in the Mid 80's as Bernard Hinault won his last Tour in '85 with the help of an American, Greg Lemond, followed by Hinault helping Lemond to his first Tour win in '86. Lemond was then accidentally shot by his brother in-law in '87 nearly killing him. Shotgun pellets, that were left throughout his body in places too dangerous for surgeons to attempt to remove, did not stop him from making a come back and winning two more tours in '89 and '90. My brothers and I have always been big Lance fans. My older brother did the whole cyclists thing along with the triathlons and biathlons. In fact he competed against Lance in a Biathlon back in the late 80's when Lance was only 16 yrs old. Lance was spanking people back then as well. We watched him when he was on Team Motorola kicking ass, only to see him fall victim to cancer. Just like his fellow American cyclist, a life threatening incident did not stop Lance from coming back to win the Tour. He has four in a row going for five and if he can keep it up I would love to see him be the first to win six, as well as six in a row. Before I get ahead of myself, lets make sure he wins five first.

JBO

Reaction
Hamilton kicked some ass on stage 16...only the 6th American rider to win a stage in the tour, ever.
Jaron

Gabe Lara

Reaction
... with a broken collarbone he recieved in the 2nd day of "LeTour"!

-Gabe

"Why you crying?"

dadomin8r

Reaction
what is the website for the tour (in english)? or at least a source for stats.

dunerking

Reaction
That damn collarbone is broken in 2 spots! The guy is an animal,pure determination.

michael_loomis

Reaction
thats crazy !! that guy is incredible

Austin you MUST be sick .... posting TOUR info !! WOW

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Ya thats how sick I am lol. I have been watching it every day lol....Its not cool sitting in a chair 24/7 because you cant lay down or you just about die from caughing!

michael_loomis

Reaction
i feel for ya man .... i had pneumonia when i wnet on a trip to lake mojave a couple years ago with my buds , coughed so damn much i couldnt breathe i kept sucking air and it would end up on my stomach ....truely a stupid move that was.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Well Lance did it!! 5 in a row, what an accomplishment!! It looks like Hamilton will take 4th place as well. Go USA!!

dunerking

Reaction
That is amazing!Go Lance
! Lance must be some sort of genetic freak of nature to come back and keep winning these things.