• Forum membership has its advantages....

toy 2wd driveshaft related

sam_i

For those of you who drive 2wd toyota trucks (with increased suspension travel in the rear). Do you stick to the original 2wd driveshaft or swap it out for a 4wd version with a slip joint?

If the swap is the prefered way to go, would the 4wd shaft just bolt on to the 3rd memebr flange and the transmission or would i have to swap flanges for 4wd ones as well?

I have increased travel in the back (12") and have mounted 52" leafs such that the rear axel is in exactly the OEM position. I dont believe the 2wd shaft is limiting my compression travel, but wanted to check for ideas as i have the rear end apart (again!).

thanks
samir

"..... damn Jimmy, that some ass good coffee"

drtdevil93

the 2wd driveshaft doesnt limit the travel when done properly. my new rear setup up, with a new spring we are working on, will put out around 24" travel, and i have no plans of changing driveshafts. and with my current setup, while playing with it one night, i got it to cycle 22" and the driveshaft location was perfect. remember it has a slip joint, of sorts, at the trans.

erik

sam_i

thanks eric - i just wanted to hear that from someone else.

24" with leaf springs?! You should post some pics when you're done.

samir

"..... damn Jimmy, that some ass good coffee"

drtdevil93

hold on guys, i have to put them on my truck and get all the bugs out before we try to sell them. im running in mdr either 7 or 14 next season, i just hope i can get it ready in time for ridgecrest.

erik