Toy Questions

freddy

So I have finally decided to buy a Total Chaos Caddy kit for my 91 Toyota 4wd pickup. That is why I now have some questions I hope some of you out there can answer. I am going to keep the 4wd.
For the rear I plan to go with 62" Deavers.

1: Do I have to modify the T-100 axles in anyway?

2: Can I use triple bypass shocks in the front? Is it worth the money?

3: Should I buy 300M torsion bars?

4: What lift should the Deavers be? I plan to keep the bed.

Thanks in advance

Fredrik

drtdevil93

the lift we put in the rear, has to be decided after youve decided how high you want the front (remember torsion bars are adjustable). i can set them up for any ride height you want. and remember, you need to change the rear setup for the springs to be under the axle. you need to buy axle perches (we have them, so do many others). you gonna have a fuel cell or spare tires in the rear? need to know that too.

erik

YotaWhoopRunner

The only modification of the t100 axles that you might need is to the cv boot. The stock inner boots tend to break frequently, so you might want to change them out. I've been told that you can stretch some tacoma boots onto the t100 axles, but i didn't feel like going through the trouble. I found through trial and error that mercedes cv boots off the m-class works pretty well. They are pretty cheap at any auto parts store and fit without any stretching.

freddy

I had planned to keep the original fuel tank to begin with. If that is possible. I think I will run with one spare tire on the bed.

Fredrik

orvacian

Freddy, check out my website, it will answer most of your questions.
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.home.earthlink.net/~orvacian>www.home.earthlink.net/~orvacian</A> Triple bypass shocks will probably not be necessary, run double bypass and airbumps. No 2.5" bypass shock will do the same thing as an airbump on the front of a Toyota, ask anyone who has em. Since you will only be able to run mabye a 10" travel shock in front(I only have 8"), the shock shaft speed will never get high enough to open the bypass tubes hardly at all and you would be basically wasting your money. 300m bars have a very high spring rate and will probably cause more problems for you then anything. You will break or strip the torsion bar sockets on both ends or rip the mounts right off the frame. I run the Sway-a-way 24mm bars and for $100 a pair you can't beat it. Actually you can beat on them :) and they will hold up fine. I have had the same ones on my truck for 2 years with no problems. BTW the 4x4 300m torsions cost around $450 a set last time I checked. If you are gonna spend that much, you might as well go with coilovers,custom j-arms and bypass shocks. Don't forget you are looking at like a $10,000-plus project once you get triple bypass shocks, 300m torsions,front axles, caddy kit, glass fenders & bedsides, 62's, custom shackles, perches, front mounts, u-bolts, rear shocks, cagework & shock mounts, fuel cell, fuel pump, sender, etc etc etc....... The cost will be several-thousand dollars more then you think it will be when you start the project, trust me. The t-100 inner tripodial joints are weak and will not handle the angles needed to get full travel out of your suspension without limiting it a few inches. If you plan on driving fast in 4x4, get the porsche 930 cv axles. If you just want 4x4 to get you out of bieng stuck, t-100 axles will do that ok. You will have to ditch the gas tank for 62" springs, the springs will hit the stock gas tank when the rear articulates. You will also need longer stainless brake lines, and the e-brake will have to be disconnected because the e-brake cable on top of the axle will hit the frame and lock your rear brakes at full bump.
E-mail if I missed anything you were wondering about.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by orvacian on 03/31/03 02:06 AM (server time).</FONT></P>