Toy torsion options

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Other than 300m torsions, anyone heard or seen any other torsions used on 2wd Toyoya's? Buggy, full size truck, custom, ect.? My exessively wide front end is slowly sagging my brand X torsions and 300m's are pricey.

If your gunna go.........go Ghetto...

firedog

Call Herman DeNunzio, we have talked to him about this, and he has a set-up that they had on their old 7 open truck they ran. I think he does something to make it dual rate also, but I am not sure. It is something like a full size Chevy torsion or something.

Jason

ntsqd

There's also a set of dual-rate t-bars (SAW ?) sitting at Ventura 4x4, or they were that last time I looked for them. They were taken off a friend's 4wd T-100 in favor of air bumps.

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

cleartoy

Ive seen SAW dual rate bars.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

ACID_RAIN28

Any one want to explain how a dual rate works? What do you do forge two differnet materials togather?

IF ALL ELSE FAILS.......DROP THE "HAMMER"!

cleartoy

Its weird. You have your torsion bar. But it also has splines on the outside for like the first 8" from the back of the lower control arm where a tube (secondary torsion) rides over it. This sleeve\torsion has a bolt that attatches somewhere and you can adjust when it kicks in.

Never used a set myself.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

ntsqd

As I recall the mid length set of splines was much closer to the frame end than the control arm end. It effectively shortened the t-bar length once the control arm twisted it some adjustable amount which, like cutting a coil spring, makes the bar have a higher rate.

TS

yotatech

Has anybody ever seen these thing in action or know of any racers that use em? Also does anybody know how much these things cost?

ntsqd

No, it is a single torsion bar with two anchor points. One fixed, and one that allows some rotation b4 limiting out and effectively shorting the torsion bar. Works a lot like the secondary torsions used on some buggies, only all on one actual bar.

TS

Dylan

SAW doesn’t make those any more, they haven’t for years. They were costly to manufacture and although you gained dual rate you lost a little on your total allowable angle of twist. Its hard to get more out of a T bar set up in the stock mounting. You typically gain rate at the cost of angle of twist. The only real solution is to design to a higher stress level, which requires better materials like 300M which are expensive. The other solution is to make it longer.

“Those of you who think you know so much really annoy those of us who do!”

redline

give Duffco a call and ask Dan what bars he is running. He has some fatty bars on his truck that he had to make custom sockets and adjuster for. Their number is 909-305-0533

DuffcoDan

yes, it is true. the wider you go on the arms the more spring you need to control it. we have found that with a three inch wider arm you will need 30% more spring rate to equal the same as you had before. the wider arms require more preload (OR TWIST) on the bar to hold the weight of the vehicle. In order to get the greatest rate of progression the torsion bar should hold the truck up at the required ride height with out adding preload to the bar. the standard SAW torsions are 24.5mm would need more preload than the 26mm bars to achieve the same ride height. the stock toyota sockets will accept up to a 28.5 mm torsion diameter, however these would have to be made custom ($550-700). the problem is that a thicker torsion bar doesn't allow for as much twist before it reaches the moment of elasticity or looses its spring. the only cure for this is to go longer as well as thicker to keep the same amount of twist. we set-up trucks with torsion bars 29 or 30mm and 2"' longer than stock. the only trouble is making the new adjusters, which cost about $200 for the (4) four splined pieces. we set up Frank's black toyota with the 30mm bars. it was on display at last years off-road expo. Jason La Fortune's truck uses 29mm bars. it is the orange toyota in off-road mag a few months ago. To go with the custom torsion bar and new splines the total cost is almost $1,000. Pat, I am not sure if this is in your budget. maybe you should try coil-overs?