Toyo Desert Challenge Presented by Monster at KOH 2021 - More classes and settling some grudge matches

alanzona

Reaction
Hey guys, just wanted to take a moment and say thank you!

The over 100 Desert Class racers who came out this past weekend were awesome.

So good to work with, GREAT competitors and racing, and so much fun!

I really appreciate it and hope many of you get to stay for the rest of the week's action.

If you can't, www.ultra4racing.com/live is here for you!

Seriously. Thanks for a great opening weekend.

Zac Reish

Reaction
I could see some of the 10 cars beating a lot of the 1 cars. I was so bummed seeing Dickerson crashed. Him and Ray Griffith would have had a good race.

Really glad they grouped the 1’s, 6100’s, and trucks.

Maybe make a b4 for short wheelbase cars/trucks, and vw powered vehicles. To grudge match the utv’s

SMS81

Reaction
Heartbreaking for Dickerson, Don’t know what happened to Parkhouse, but a few miles in he was done. At that point there was no reason for Griffith to push. Would have loved to see a true B1 race against those guys. May have changed the overall outcome. The specs were hauling the mail! 7 is on another level.

JDDurfey

Reaction
So how about a 525hp 2wd Spec TT being less than 10 minutes behind a 1000+hp AWD TT after a 5.5 hour race?
OR how about a 525hp 2wd Spec TT being less than 3 minutes behind a 1000+hp 2wd TT?
Big props to the Grabowski brothers for pulling that off!

The Whipple 6100 looked great from what I saw and holy hell can Josh drive a Class 11!

Thanks to Dave and everyone else for putting on a great event.
See you next weekend!
In all honesty I am not surprised by that. This course was a drivers course. It was tight and twisty for so much of it. Yes, there was a lakebed or two and other places to get over 100 mph, but they appeared to be short and few which let the T2s match the pace pretty close.

The tracker showed Bryce stopped on the last lap around mile 40 or so. After the race he said he only got one flat, which was on like the third loop, (second long loop) and they threw a new spare on the rack at the remote pit. Does anyone know why he stopped on the last lap? or was that just a fluke thing that the tracker pinged right when they were briefly stopped?

What happened to the T1 14? I heard a broken axle, but I never heard that was confirmed? He was having a good race for a while.

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
14 and 16 were Desert Assasins, right?

I think 16 was Cameron Steele.
I remember 14 was LOUD AS HELL on the in-field. Loudest truck on the lakebed by far IMO.

OFFRD-JNKIE

Reaction
So how about a 525hp 2wd Spec TT being less than 10 minutes behind a 1000+hp AWD TT after a 5.5 hour race?
OR how about a 525hp 2wd Spec TT being less than 3 minutes behind a 1000+hp 2wd TT?
Big props to the Grabowski brothers for pulling that off!

The Whipple 6100 looked great from what I saw and holy hell can Josh drive a Class 11!

Thanks to Dave and everyone else for putting on a great event.
See you next weekend!
Ya how about that... Was Bryce just not pushing hard or are the other drivers that good that they can hang with the big TT's?....hmmmm

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
It's hard to deny that if the Grabowski brothers had:
- 500 more hp
and/or
- AWD

they would have been a VERY serious contender for 1st overall.

However, I feel that 500 extra hp (to 1000hp total) while keeping 2wd would be more advantageous than going AWD while keeping the 525hp spec TT power.

CodyParkhouse

Reaction
Heartbreaking for Dickerson, Don’t know what happened to Parkhouse, but a few miles in he was done. At that point there was no reason for Griffith to push. Would have loved to see a true B1 race against those guys. May have changed the overall outcome. The specs were hauling the mail! 7 is on another level.
The sector shaft broke right where it comes out of the steering box, we have had a couple issues with it but it hadn't cost us a race before this. We will be looking at upgrades now.

btshannon

Reaction
In all honesty I am not surprised by that. This course was a drivers course. It was tight and twisty for so much of it. Yes, there was a lakebed or two and other places to get over 100 mph, but they appeared to be short and few which let the T2s match the pace pretty close.

The tracker showed Bryce stopped on the last lap around mile 40 or so. After the race he said he only got one flat, which was on like the third loop, (second long loop) and they threw a new spare on the rack at the remote pit. Does anyone know why he stopped on the last lap? or was that just a fluke thing that the tracker pinged right when they were briefly stopped?

What happened to the T1 14? I heard a broken axle, but I never heard that was confirmed? He was having a good race for a while.
Flat RF tire on the last lap, MM 45-ish.

JDDurfey

Reaction
Flat RF tire on the last lap, MM 45-ish.
That's what I thought when I saw them come through the remote pit for the last time because that RF wheel was white, not red. But on the podium he just said they had one flat, not two. Oh, well, he forgot to mention the second.

btshannon

Reaction
The tire was not destroyed maybe just low, but I did watch them change it on the side of the racecourse.

Baja Bryan

Reaction
Hey guys, just wanted to take a moment and say thank you!

The over 100 Desert Class racers who came out this past weekend were awesome.

So good to work with, GREAT competitors and racing, and so much fun!

I really appreciate it and hope many of you get to stay for the rest of the week's action.

If you can't, www.ultra4racing.com/live is here for you!

Seriously. Thanks for a great opening weekend.
Thanks Alan. Jax and I had a blast. Course changed a lot from day to day and lap to lap. Was a challenge for sure. We had a few issues but 4th in T1 for a kid that just got his drivers license is not to bad.

Bro-Dozer Motorsports

Reaction
lessons learned:

I am not fast in the tight tech stuff.
Should have taken like 6 more ibuprofen before the start.
8into1 exhaust is great but after a few hours of 6000rpm you start to go deaf.
Amazon headlights for a 1995 Ford F150 put out plenty of light for the 6100 pace once the sun sets. (sarcastic overtone)

All in all we had an amazing time this weekend. Took us a few miles to remember how quick the race pace is, this is been the longest "dry spell" in desert racing my brother and I have ever been though in our 14 years of racing and it definitely showed this weekend. Tagged a rock qualifying which slowed us down a good amount and set us up for an "ehh" starting position. We ran the truck quick in the desert sections and we were cautious in the rocks, I think too cautious which cost us a lot of time on course. Had one tire change, two fuel stops and a diff refill after main noticed we were losing fluid fast. Lots to improve on but no complaints here, we set out to finish and we did just that. 7th 6100 12th OA and a truck that is ready to keep RIPPING!!

For everyone that ran that course, how rowdy were those loooong whooped straights headed into like mm117ish. after THE WALL and a couple other spots?!?! We were running the truck as hard as we could pushing high 90s PRAYING everything held together haha. I remember yelling "MAN TIME!!!!" to my brother and we hit that corner for the stop check at mm117 and we were both dying laughing from relief.

THANK YOU Dave and the entire Ultra4 crew for putting this event on, we will 100% be back next year if you guys have 6100s run again!! Such an awesome event start to finish for us.

mxben

Reaction
Random thoughts in no particular order.

Great course, great concept.

The program could be tightened up a tad. Course markings were 90% there, the other 10% was up to you.

Pre running only open for a day and a half, or I should say pre running with a file, was tough and not really adequate.

We learned where we wouldn't camp again. We also felt like it was one of those parties that starts at your house and is a lot of fun then you leave your house because its out of control and you don't care what happens because the house is on fire.

I've never seen so many idiots with disregard for safety of others. Will not bring my dog again. Fireworks, non stop.

The Ultra 4 unlimited course is gnarly and those guys are bad ass. Maybe have a better GPX file available at the start of pre running next time, with rock donkey course on a separate file.

We had fun. Course was a great equalizer.

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
I can agree on the fireworks. I have been leaving my dog in recent years mostly due to the fireworks and partly due to the cold.
Although I wish the fireworks would stop, I feel it is unrealistic to expect/police that. (Same story in Glamis)

mxben

Reaction
Anyone else see the UTV in line for qualifying get whiskey throttle in reverse and tip his cart over? People could have died.

y2kbaja

Reaction
Anyone else see the UTV in line for qualifying get whiskey throttle in reverse and tip his cart over? People could have died.
Wasn't there but you could hear it on the live feed. The announcers commented about it then moved on