Toyo Desert Challenge Presented by Monster at KOH 2021 - More classes and settling some grudge matches

mebedb1

Well-Known Member
Posts
437
Reaction
337
The Ultra 4 unlimited course is gnarly and those guys are bad ass. Maybe have a better GPX file available at the start of pre running next time, with rock donkey course on a separate file.
Those seemed to be the 'short' route, if you dare. seems there were 3 of them, IIRC,
with the one on the short loop that was a No Go for a spec truck. one would have been wedged in for good.

On another note,
The qualifying loop was blown out by the end of the day Friday.
I came into the drivers meeting on half of and left outbound on the other half. Andrew and I ran 5 laps, and were done around 2 pm. by 6:30 that course was beat, Andrew didn't see it again until we ran it Saturday. We ended up what seemed to be perpendicular to the course, driving in deep trying to avoid the dagger sticking out at the apex of the right hander at the top of the wash, near back door... Andrew stayed WFO, slammed the cliff face setting us somewhat in the right direction,
We lost momentum to climb out the sand hill, yet still managed to salvage a decent lap.

Thanks Team KOH 2021, We had a blast.
Don
 

E.Hagle

Well-Known Member
Posts
155
Reaction
188
Especially in today’s climate I’m amazed an event like this still exists and I’m thankful. I think next time we’ll camp way outside of the party zone away from all the Loop out Larry’s redlining their mad max machines at 2am next to our camp.

On any other day besides the night before race day I’d be on board and happy for them, but it’s tough to deal. I mostly felt bad for my dad who is a clean cut dude who is all business on race weekend. It was like seeing the 6’ white guy in a sea of 5’ Asians.
 

class5cole

Well-Known Member
Posts
134
Reaction
193
I don't see policing the fireworks being realistic. We had mortars go off on the camp next to us. All the ash fell on our rig multiple times. We had a little chit chat at 2am
 

cwarren

Well-Known Member
Posts
50
Reaction
178
Big thank you to everyone at Ultra 4 and KOH for allowing the desert guys to come out and be a part of this race. Dave Cole, Alan, JT, RJ, Fish and everyone involved it was really an amazing event. New course, huge prize money, UNBELIEVABLE live coverage, perfect timing displayed immediately, prerunning, great course markings, easy pitting locations, qualifying for all classes, great spacing between cars on the start, spectator areas everywhere, food and vendors for family and friends, LOW COST ENTRY FEES, great commentators, no long tiring days of tech and contingency, big F-ing bumps, and gorgeous weather. I don't really think people have realized how much great stuff there was going in this race especially considering that we aren't even near being the main attraction, we were treated like we were. Guys like them as well as the mint 400 crew and fishgistics are pushing the sport to a more visible direction and I can say first hand family and friends love it. Not everyone likes to spend days out in the desert to watch a car go by once every hour or more but watching at home and seeing real updates of how the race is unfolding is awesome. We didn't have the result we wanted due to a few mechanical issues but had a great time and at least we didn't get beat by the UTVS, lol.
 

jon coleman

Well-Known Member
Posts
7,528
Reaction
4,168
Random thoughts in no particular order.

Great course, great concept.

The program could be tightened up a tad. Course markings were 90% there, the other 10% was up to you.

Pre running only open for a day and a half, or I should say pre running with a file, was tough and not really adequate.

We learned where we wouldn't camp again. We also felt like it was one of those parties that starts at your house and is a lot of fun then you leave your house because its out of control and you don't care what happens because the house is on fire.

I've never seen so many idiots with disregard for safety of others. Will not bring my dog again. Fireworks, non stop.

The Ultra 4 unlimited course is gnarly and those guys are bad ass. Maybe have a better GPX file available at the start of pre running next time, with rock donkey course on a separate file.

We had fun. Course was a great equalizer.
Dave needs to do like Orange show speedway, have a ' family section' , & designate ( unofficially of course), a drunkin pit bike fireworks throw race gas on the fire area, oh well,,, now, gtf off my lawn you punk kids...
 

E.Hagle

Well-Known Member
Posts
155
Reaction
188
Hey Dave any chance the premium feed will be release on YouTube? Really want my grandpa to see the feature your guys did on our car. He might give us funding and let us race again next year after seeing that
 
Top