Toyo Invitational 2020

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
Parker is amazing and I think that maybe next year Parker will be a week earlier so if your racing a TT and you missed the Toyo KOH and there’s anyway possible you owe it to yourself to make the KOH Toyo Invitational part of your program next year.

The event is off the hook. The T1 trucks had their own Tech that was open for a couple hours and took about 15 minutes because it was just for the T1.
With 25 starters lining up was a cake walk, the side by side start every 2 minutes was epic. It’s always breezy so very little dust. All the stuff you wished was a little better about racing Dave works very hard to make better.
It’s amazing as a crew member to walk a 100 yards from the pits to the Jumbotron and see the race feed as well as timing and scoring. Shoot those guys knew we lost a third member before we did in the main pit. :oops:

It’s a blast besides the 125k purse which the lion share of (finally Luke can pay fish that money he owes him ;)) went to first place but the Ultra 4 guys voted to spread it out over the top 10. In any event a purse for 125k is no joke, and that ain’t side pot money, that’s sponsor money.

Really, talk to the drivers that went. I think you’ll hear nothing but positives except for being bummed about the race if they were anyone not named Luke. :)

Maybe you can do both.

Last edited:

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
I know Parker is very special but maybe you can do both.

da223

Reaction
Very technical race. Was very cool. Would be great to see them offer an open entry for next year.

John Harich

Reaction
I was watching from mm 82 which was a little rocky hill above the dry lake bed, you could see them coming from four different approaches, and then they would come up the hill and had a nice little jump in front of us. Super bitchen. Then you could haul ass to a different spot, and get a similar experience. ALL FOR FREE! Just like the good old days!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

C4

Reaction
I agree with all the above. I've never been so informed in how an off road race is going. The KOH guys really put on a first class show in every way! I was disappointed to see so few T1 trucks there but if they were paying attention to this race I think they will be standing in line to get in next year.
From a fan prospective there is no other race that can compete.

Charlietuna

Reaction
I agree with all the above. I've never been so informed in how an off road race is going. The KOH guys really put on a first class show in every way! I was disappointed to see so few T1 trucks there but if they were paying attention to this race I think they will be standing in line to get in next year.
From a fan prospective there is no other race that can compete.
The race promoters purposely limited the number of entrants (I think originally it was 30 trucks, then they bumped it up to 32). Ultra 4 is focused on the 4400 class/rock racer demographic. The T1s were a support class in this case.

Charlietuna

Reaction
I stand corrected...I thought I read that there were 32 trucks that started. Apparently there were only 23....my bad.

GunnSlinger

Captain Backpack
Reaction
I remember Andy (McMillin) and Dave talking in a "here is what to expect" video and Dave mentioned that he would be introducing other classes into the mix at a later date. I wonder if 2020 will be the year for 6100 (or any other class for that matter)?

BajaFand

Reaction
I was watching from mm 82 which was a little rocky hill above the dry lake bed, you could see them coming from four different approaches, and then they would come up the hill and had a nice little jump in front of us. Super bitchen. Then you could haul ass to a different spot, and get a similar experience. ALL FOR FREE! Just like the good old days!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Did you not pay $30 to enter the area?

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

DanMcMillin

Crane Motorsports
Reaction
I remember Andy (McMillin) and Dave talking in a "here is what to expect" video and Dave mentioned that he would be introducing other classes into the mix at a later date. I wonder if 2020 will be the year for 6100 (or any other class for that matter)?
I hope not. Trophy Trucks only.

ltr450rider

Reaction
I actually have a complaint that there were too few vehicles running. It got pretty boring watching out on course as the trucks on their first lap were pretty spread out, and only got more spread out as trucks started falling out. Not saying that there needs to be 400 vehicles entered, but a few more, or maybe shorter more consistent laps might keep things a bit more interesting. I think there's room for a few "elite" Class 1's to mix it up with them.

mig29

Reaction
Agree, it had the open-access like the vintage Mint 400 (NOT the current poser Mint 400, which doesn't have the iconic Rock Garden), where you could pre-run & drive to watch from the race-course. We're talking early 90's, I STILL remember Mark McMillin making "big air" (after a hill-rise) after a checkpoint w/course-worker. This is why I QUIT Offroad Racing ~'93, the BLM clamping down -- no pre-running, etc.

I got some advice on a good spot from PCI Race radios staffer -- MM128 "waterfall". I headed there after I shot the start (overlooking pit-row from Optima Battery truck). Battery was dead due to re-charging mobile devices, made THREE attempts for jump-start. Lost some time. Dead reckoning using Cartorack T1 map (w/GPS enabled app).

video-blog post:
Ultra4 KOTH (King of the Hammers): T1 Desert Truck race, start [ '19 KOTH, 2/7 Thu ]

original video:

Ran into various groups -- moto riders (headed to race course), fans (thought they were on race-course..I had to tell them to move), 1600cc buggy (turned out to be a Checkers member). Got lost, got flat right front tire (SHREDDED the awful Goodyear tire), finally found MM128

Multiple cars had already passed, but I was lucky enough to get Luke Mcmillin #83 (eventual winner):

video-blog post:
Ultra4 KOTH (King of the Hammers): T1 Desert race, MM128 "waterfall" [ '19 KOTH, 2/7 Thu ]

original video:

The open-access does have trade-offs, there are many vehicles going *everywhere*. Some UTVs going VERY FAST..looked unsafe. So, you have to be aware of vehicles around you ("situational awareness"). Accident waiting to happen. Sure enough, there was a wreck between 2 motorcycles, 1 guy down..other guy sitting up. I heard a helicopter had to fly someone out.

I got back to Hammertown, fell asleep in the car. By the time I got to main stage in front of fire-pit, everyone was gone -- announcers, T1 racers. In contrast, the Ultra4 race on the following day (Friday) had finishers come in until midnight. Finish guy & announcers stuck around until like 11pm.

====================

Hate to bring this up, but it HAS TO! Pete Sohren would have, so here goes..

T1 Desert race had the feel of a demo. NOT all the top racers were there, some did Parker 425 & didn't come

^^^ Unfortunately, this means that for 2020 -- both Parker 425 & KOTH T1 Truck race will be diluted with "partial fields". It has the feel of the 2008 CORR implosion with the resultant split into TORC & LOORRS.

"United we stand, DIVIDED WE FALL"

Tire Mfrs meeting in Feb 2009, to decide which series to support. Drivers having to do the same. Fast forward to last year, TORC "on the ropes". LOORRS emerging as survivor, but at what cost?

[ continued ]

mig29

Reaction
I actually have a complaint that there were too few vehicles running. It got pretty boring watching out on course as the trucks on their first lap were pretty spread out, and only got more spread out as trucks started falling out. Not saying that there needs to be 400 vehicles entered, but a few more, or maybe shorter more consistent laps might keep things a bit more interesting. I think there's room for a few "elite" Class 1's to mix it up with them.
Agree.

I was at MM128, by that time the field was really spread out. It got boring, waiting around for the remnants to show up. Some of the people there got bored & left. After a while, I just bugged out. Didn't feel like standing there waiting 15-30 min for the next truck

When I got back to Hammertown, went to the stage -- EVERYONE was gone..announcers, no Trophy Trucks. If it had been Parker 425, there would have been late finishers trickling in. Since the field was pretty small, it was done early. The Toyo Tires 100K payout made it even more inappropriate.

2019 T1 Truck race was more of a demo/prototype of what could be in the future.

NOT all of the top Trophy Truck racers were there..which lessens the appeal.

"DON'T make us choose!"
-- Curt Leduc, 2007 CORR Los Angeles (Pomona)
[ this was during the competitive series split -- West VS Midwest (picking up pieces after CORR moved West after Jim Baldwin purchase) ]

Hate to say it, but next year (2020) could be the start of ANOTHER split!

"It split the Sponsors, it split the Racers, it split the Fans"
-- Nicole Johnson, former KOTH racer (finished TWO KOTH races as female), former Monster Truck racer (Scooby Doo)

[ 1st female Monster Truck racer to do a successful back-flip ]

Neither series will "fly high", without the BEST racers at their respective events..!! The TORC/LOORRS split meant that Lucas Oil sponsored Carl Renezeder, couldn't race the TORC flagship race in Crandon (arguably the Indy 500 of short-course). Likewise, the flagship TORC racers

Scott Douglas Pro 4, Leduc Pro 4, Johnny Greaves Pro 4, whole legion of Pro 2/Pro 4 racers from Midwest

couldn't race the LOORRS races (in the West). It was Wisconsin based Amsoil (TORC sponsor) VS west-coast based Lucas Oil (LOORRS sponsor)

^^^ How do you take Short-Course to the Masses, if you have infighting amongst yourselves??

"I want a Clean Solution without any INFIGHTING"
-- Phil Membrey, RacetheWorld (LIVE vehicle-tracking using French-owned Iritrack)

[ Re: the battle for the LIVE IRIDIUM-based vehicle-tracking. In retrospect, the French-based Iritrack was a major blunder. It came out of a couple of US guys going to Dakar Rally, deciding to start a business using their (French) trackers. Turns out, there was a US based IRIDIUM vehicle-tracker paid by US taxpayers -- 2 DoD (Dept of Defense) contractors in Beltway of Washington DC.

IRIDIUM is owned by DoD (Dept of Defense), since the US Military uses IRIDIUM for their military activity. ]

fastfelix

Reaction
As always Dave cole awesome week. I just want to be the announcer next year for the shootout. Lol

rkracing

Reaction
I didn't attend but it looked like an awesome course based from the live feed and videos from the race. Regarding the comments about the course being too long maybe having a shorter 50 mile or less course would keep fans more entertained? Sort of like the old Fireworks TT Barstow races that aired on Espn. Seems more exciting to see the lead changes between the laps instead of only having 1 or 2 long laps. Plus it would be easier to keep control of spectators without the course being too spread out. Even though from a racers perspective i'm sure most would prefer a longer course. Anyhow props to all involved in putting on the event it seemed like a big success!