TOYO TIRES | BJ Baldwin’s Recoil 4 in Cuba

Bricoop

Reaction

I enjoyed some of the camera angles that showed off the suspension, especially the shots over the downed logs. The shot with the burning embers in the wheel well was pretty cool too.

green787

Reaction
I enjoyed it, and I'm obviously green with envy... Loved seeing Cuba and it's people.....:cool:
I don't like the 3 play on each jump... The truck should approach the jump or obstacle at speed, then cut to new angle slow mo take off...cut to new angle high speed... cut to slow mo suspension shot... then more at speed angle... then a slow mo landing...cut to at speed exit.... In other words ONE smooth edit.... not the entirety of each camera angle... It's ONE jump.... It didn't happen 3 times.... But then I"m a retired member of the Editor's Guild Local 700 and a retired race truck driver, so what would I know...???:D:D:D
I was also pleased that no Cuban citizens were exploited or duped into doing something stupid... And BJ's ego seemed to be under control a little...

Last edited:

pdailey

Racer
Reaction
I enjoyed it, and I'm obviously green with envy... Loved seeing Cuba and it's people.....:cool:
I don't like the 3 play on each jump... The truck should approach the jump or obstacle at speed, then cut to new angle slow mo take off...cut to new angle high speed... cut to slow mo suspension shot... then more at speed angle... then a slow mo landing...cut to at speed exit.... In other words ONE smooth edit.... not the entirety of each camera angle... It's ONE jump.... It didn't happen 3 times.... But then I"m a retired member of the Editor's Guild and a retired race truck driver, so what would I know...???:D:D:D
Couldn't agree more. Cuba was definitely cool. Solid effort peeps!

Dirty Harry

Reaction
I liked the triple cuts personally, but the in cab footage was kinda blurry. Amazing car control from BJ when he parks the truck at the end of the video!

Didn't Hoonigan direct/make the last couple of videos? Seems like they weren't involved in this one at all.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
I don't like the 3 play on each jump... The truck should approach the jump or obstacle at speed, then cut to new angle slow mo take off...cut to new angle high speed... cut to slow mo suspension shot... then more at speed angle... then a slow mo landing...cut to at speed exit.... In other words ONE smooth edit.... not the entirety of each camera angle... It's ONE jump.... It didn't happen 3 times.... But then I"m a retired member of the Editor's Guild Local 700 and a retired race truck driver, so what would I know...???:D:D:D
I was also pleased that no Cuban citizens were exploited or duped into doing something stupid... And BJ's ego seemed to be under control a little...
Appreciate the feedback and will take note but like you said you're retired and little out of touch on what's cool these days! Viral marketing is a little different than traditional.

AZ7000'

Reaction
The red dress was fantastic! Oh, and the truck stuff too...

Bricoop

Reaction
Totally understand from a cinematic prospective how those cuts would be more entertaining to your mainstream viewer who doesn't see what trophy trucks can do. The downhill wheelie in the credits at real speed and volume is neat, glad to see you guys included that prospective. Well done.

pwerwagn

Reaction
Cool video, I liked it. Was well done.

I havent really paid much attention to his new truck, is that actually toyota powered?

JCAraiza

Reaction
Good job BJ and crew!

I have many friends who do not know anything about TTs or Desert Racing at all. When I play Vildosola's action cut videos they are like "ohh thats cool..." but when I play any of the Recoil videos they instantly are into it and show a great deal of excitement. This is the channel that our sport needs to get to the masses.

Ilovebaja

Reaction
totally awesomeness ! love how the other sponsors where snuck in !
don't really care about the negative comments in Facebook ! should not compare one video to the past as I keep an open mind no expectations that it will be any better than the last one knowing each one will have it's own individual characteristic story different from the previous. Great job and can't even imagine the work put into getting everything together to shoot this in Cuba. People must have been mesmerized at the TT.

Last edited:

JDDurfey

Reaction
Video was awesome. BJ has some new fans now in Cuba for sure. I thought the clip of the ladies saying "Otra Otra" at the end was funny. That was some great driving and huge air in a couple of those jumps. How long was that jump onto the beach?

Keep up the great videos BJ. I think professional videos like this can bring more exposure for our sport in a good way.

How difficult was it to get through all the red tape to shut down streets and film in Cuba?

Dirty Harry

Reaction
One thing that I liked from the Mexico video and this people standing on roofs and lining the street as BJ comes by. Feels more... I dunno, "real" than when Ken Block is screaming through the empty streets of LA or SF.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
How difficult was it to get through all the red tape to shut down streets and film in Cuba?
Extremely difficult and when it was all said and done and we were a week out from leaving to go shoot and send the truck over Castro dies and we had to postpone and basically start the whole thing over again.

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
Were you able to bring race fuel into Cuba for this?