Toyota 4runner problems

offroadracer

Any of you fellow offroaders delt with your 4 runner's starting one minute, but not the next?
I have a 1989 4runner 4x4 v6. At first I thought it was the fuel filter. Changed it, didn't make a differance. Checked codes and didn't come up with anything. Sometimes
I start it and it seems like its loaded up.
Long story short. The other day gas was pooring out of the Charcoal Canister. Vent hose or something? I've been searching, but haven't really came up with any answers.
Crandon was awsome by the way!:D

California MiniTruck

Ok a couple things to check if it turns over its not the starter but if it doesn't then it might be the copper leads in the started motor it self. Second the fuel pressure regulators on those 3.0L seem to go out all the time and they leak fuel when they do, I sell those all the time for like $35 bucks. Does the motor itself run ok? Those 3.slows are a pain in the butt! Let me know if any of this helps or you need some parts.

Nick Wehby
VP Racing Division
California Mini-Truck
4002 State St.
Montclair, CA 91763
phone 909-622-1381
fax 909-623-3240
calminitruck.com

offroadracer

It could be the fuel reg, I guess. The truck does turn over, it just does'nt fire. Let sit for a while and it starts. It's something to do with the fuel I believe.
I did find that the sending unit (TVV) for the canister was bad. One of the vacuum lines just fell off when I touched it.
Looks like its been cracked for a while.
I'm going to the bone yard for that, maybe I'll get a fuel regulator as well.
Thanks!

Last edited:

offroadracer

Ok well I found a used charcoal canister and TVV. Put those on and truck started up and ran
great. Took it for a drive and when I got back it was idealing rough again. I also has a coolant leak from
the 180 degree hose behind the intake. I must of been bending that inoder to get the TVV in, and it split.
When i took it for a drive I didn't have the gas cap on. just because of all the pressure there was from before.
Once I found the coolant leak it was getting dark. So I put the gas cap back on and went inside for the night.
Got up Sunday to start working on it again and smelled gas. Sure enough gas was coming out of the canister
again.
I pulled the tank again too make sure nothing was pinched. I also checked the return lines by blowing air into them.
When I blew air into the lines I could hear air going into the tank.
Could all this BS just be from a bad gas cap not venting properly?

offroadracer

Last night I noticed the temp gage wasn't working. I messed with the wire going into the sencor and it started working.
So that will need to be taken care of. The truck seems to be running ok at the moment. It started three time in a row.
(Without the gas cap on). I guess I'll try a new cap next.

BCG1

Is it possible you have the fuel return line hooked to the cannister instead of the vent line? Maybe the wrong vacuum line going to the canister?

offroadracer

The new cap didn't make a differance. It is very possible that I screwed the lines up when I pulled the tank.
I just read something about that last night. My bad! i'll check 2-nite. Thanks!

offroadracer

Charcoal canister problem solved. I had the lines crossed at the tank. Truck seems to be running ok at the moment.
Now I need to address why it is not shifting. At first it wasn't down shifting when coming up to a light. Now when you put into drive, it feels like it already in third.
I'm able to shift it manualy. Thanks!

07FJRog

Charcoal canister problem solved. I had the lines crossed at the tank. Truck seems to be running ok at the moment.
Now I need to address why it is not shifting. At first it wasn't down shifting when coming up to a light. Now when you put into drive, it feels like it already in third.
I'm able to shift it manualy. Thanks!
more vacuum leaks, if you have found one, there will be plenty more to come, it took me forever to change all those littel lines on my 3.0, so far 245 thousand miles and never been tore down, got to be a record for the crappy 3.0 :eek: