toyota 7.5 vs 8inch

Travisfab

Reaction
I am new to toyotas and I am wondering how I can tell the difference between the 7.5 and 8" rear ends. I'd assume my 2wd 89' single cab 22r has the 7.5, what trucks came with the 8"--- v6's or 4x4's? anyone have some pics of the 2 different rear ends, thanks for the help in advance.

Eric_M

Reaction
you got the 8" in there. same as mine. the 4 speed manual trans, 4x4 and v6 toyotas came with the 8" the 5 speed manual and the auto trans 4 bangers have the smaller one, but im not sure about the v6 autos. you get those arms and tortions on?

ntsqd

Reaction
Humm.....didn't know they did that. A 5 lug 8" opens up some options.........

Travisfab

Reaction
Eric the arms are not on yet, just waiting to find some rims, I'll send you a pic when its done, thanks to everyone again for the advice, I saw a parts truck that I was going to swoop in on and snag some parts, but since I already have an 8" I wont be looking at the rear end

ntsqd

Reaction
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Yup all the 2WD trucks are 5lug....all the 4wd trucks are 6lug

[/ QUOTE ]

That part I've known since '96 or so, what I didn't know was that there ever were 8" diffs in 5 lug.

matt_helton

Racer
Reaction
yup, my last yota was a 2wd with a 5 lug 8" axle. it has a 4 spd manual with a 22r. the only thing that sucked about it was you cant re-gear them. i had to get a 3rd member from a 4x4 in order to get any different gear ratios. you can tell the the 3rd member that you cant regear by the 1 long mounting stud(about 3-4 inches). you just pull out the stud and put a shorty in with the new 4x4 3rd member.

WFODAN

Reaction
Teh easiest way to figure out if a rear end is an 8 inch or a 7.5 is to look at the bolt pattern around the third member . A 7.5 will have a bolt straight up on the top of the housing in the twelve o clock position . An 8 inch will have two bolts at the eleven and one o clock position . That's the easiest and most obvious way to tell .