Toyota A-arms

Tyson

Reaction
Well I just pulled out my stock spindles so that I can have them made into custom lifted ones, while doing the drivers side I stripped the crown nut for the upper ball joint, discovered that the tie rod end's boot is destroyed, and had a hell of a time popping the bottom out - BUT I DID IT. Then I went on to the passengers side and destroyed the boot for the lower ball joint.
BUt, my question - Are the upper A-arms supposed to be REAL hard to move up and down when not connected to anything (IE spindle, and/or lower A-arm where the T-bar is connected)??

Mine squeak like mad and were real tough, is this normal? Oh, and are the boots replaceable on the ball joints and tie rod - or should I just go with new ball joints and tie rod end?? Anyone know how much they run?

and on a different subject (sort of) I noticed that my "stock" steering stabilizer looks pretty tiny and I'm sure dead, do these do all that much, what do you recommend I replace it with??

Thank for your help
Tyson

You may beat me in the flats, but watch out in the whoops! ! !

cleartoy

Reaction
Actually, the bushings tend to make the squeak and hard moving sensation you refer to. You can lube the bushings, but it only works for so long. Total Chaos makes the billet cross shafts, and if im not mistaken are gun drilled to allow lubing the bushings without dissassebly.

If the ball joints and tie rods didnt have any play, just get the Energy Suspension covers. On the other hand, a common swap for upper ball joints are the MOOG jonts. They allow a longer range of motion.

AS to the stabalizer, it transmitss less harshness to the steering wheel. I need to find out who makes one for my 94 as well. I think Rancho makes it. Id rather not have any Rancho on my truck, but..... FOX has a 1.5 stabalizer, but youd have to figure out brackets.

85 Toyota xtracab 4x4(for sale)
94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

Tyson

Reaction
Hey thanks David, Do you know where I can find those moog ball joints? Price?? I'm thinking I should just replace them anyway since Im changing the suspension with the spindles and I don't want to have to tear into this again at least for a while.

And I hear ya about the Rancho thing, but are they just shocks but smaller? are they valved special or something, or can I throw and old 5100 on them? hehehe I'm guessing no but thought I'd ask.

Ryno

Reaction
Moog Joints can be found pretty much everywhere (NAPA, Kragen, etc)...ask for them by name. They run about $40 ea. Rancho makes a stablizer for just about everything...I'd ask around, I'm someone here makes their own, or fabs a better one.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

ntsqd

Reaction
I'd like to see someone do one like those used on Fiat 124's, mostly just because. They are part of the idler arm pivot arrangement and use oil as the dampening media. Close to the Chapman creedo of making every part fullfill 3 functions (not that Fiat was likely following Mr. Chapman's ideals).

TS

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee

cleartoy

Reaction
602, you can MAKE anything work. I am not ashamed to admit i have some extra FOXs with res sittin in the garage, i thought i might use one of them as a stabalizer. At least the performance would be consistant! In all actuality, ive run a Rancho stabalizer on my 85 since 98, and it performed excellent, right up to the time i went on a night drive one night very late in the desert, with plenty of beers than should have been alowed in my belly, rammin creosote bushes, running over rocks, some tree interference. Wellp, the next morning, i looked under my truck and the tie rod(solid axle 4x4) was smashed into the axle housing. The stabalizer bent with the rod.

Welp, let us know how your project goes, cuz i have some 33s id like to run, but just barely got the 31s to clear with glass and some persuassion.

85 Toyota xtracab 4x4(for sale)
94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

DPpatrol

Reaction
Tyson,

If you're using urethane bushings, they will always squeak unless you get lube made for urethane bushings. I got some from Baja Concepts and it worked great.

jason

Tyson

Reaction
Right on Jason. Hey are you going to be a t Jc's this Sunday??? We'll be there cutting out the fender wells and fixing up the fire and "possibly putting on my new lift spindles" Let me know.

Laterz \m/

Dylan

Reaction
the problem with using a mono tube pressurized shock as a steering stabilizer is because the shock wants to extend on its own from the high presure it will cause the steering to pull. you can use an opposed pair of shocks as a stabilizer system so that they are counteracting each other though. also if you use any shock as a stabilizer it will be a little funny because all suspension dampers have different compression and rebound damping.
Dylan