toyota cooling

gary

Reaction
i was wondering if anyone here has done any yota cooling upgrades, or had any ideas on the subject. i know there's a $200 bolt on electric fan, and that'd be a nice easy afternoon, but i wonder if it's worth the price. seems like about a hundred bucks worth of brackets, after looking at fans in the summit catalog. anyone put in a bigger(thicker), aluminum radiator, for hopefully more cooling ability? and how about fittings and hoses...any issues there? or should i just leave my relaible as hell engine alone? all help is appreciated..... :)

cleartoy

Reaction
Couple friends of mine are using Ron Davis alluminum radiators. YOu have to make your own mounts, but they report cooler running. $400 or so and you can have one too.

My 94 22RE runs cool as ice.

85 Toyota xtracab 4x4(for sale)
94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
Ya Flex-a-Lite makes a bolt on electric fan for Tacomas and sells it for like close to $300 I think. You can buy the EXACT same fan without the mounting brackets for about $125 and make your own tabs.

Also the TRD transmission cooler runs something like $175, but you can go to pepboys and get the same size cooler by the company that makes it, Hayden I believe, for $60.

What a joke!

BlueCoyote

Reaction
You can fit a later model truck/4runner V6 4 core radiator in the ealier trucks / 4runners. In some cases you will have to fabricate some shims. With the bigger radiator, new fan clutch and full shroud, my rokrawler no longer over heats. And this is with no / slow forward speed under high load and high heat conditions. Going to use the same principles on the MDR truck.
Never had much luck with electric fans. Always seem to come on too late. The other problem is that with any hard impact the fan body would flex, the blades would contact the core or mount and shatter - no more cooling. Blew up 4 flex-a-lites in and early Bronco before giving up.
Just food for thought.

Who are you calling Coyote ugly?
84 Toyota p/u Rokrawlr
86 4rnr
80 Toyota MDR Project

RHEES

Reaction
I put a dual 12" flexalite fan on my 4.3L. I wish I had left it stock with a better radiator. They rated the fan for a V8 with 250 hp with AC. My truck barely pushes 180 with AC and it still overheats. Ive heard the Be Cool all aluminum radiators work good.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
I don't know what you guys are doing wrong with the electric fans, but I run 1 flexelite black magic and a spahl 12" for back up on a built 351. I rarely see coolant temps over 165' even with ambient temps of over 100'. The radiator is a stock ford unit........

Tyson

Reaction
I run a GM radiator in my 22RE and an electric fan that I got from e-bay that was out of a 6 cyl Mustang, wired it to a switch and it sucks a ton of air. Though I did have to make new mounts for the electric fan, but I also noticed less pull on the motor since it was no longer running the fan off of the pulley.

Which brings up my other question, 1 of my co-workers brought up the question ... how does an electric fan actually gain HP? Its still taking power from the alternator which is getting power from the motor. Sure the fan speeds with an electric fan come from its own motor but any other signifigant reasons why my truck feels faster then a 22RE with the stock fan?

But I did notice a difference when I switched, and it runs cooler most of the time then it did before. Only once, really stuck in traffic did it get a bit warm (which to my truck) was the needle 1/2 way between cold and hot.

Look at me, I can fly

Check It</font color=red>

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Factory fans are set-up for the worst case scenerio. They pass a lot more air than you need most of the time, This is why you have a thermostat. And they run all the time. At highway speeds you hardly need a fan at all. V-belts also take up power just by turning ( frictional loss). Your alternator is already spinning and not useing it's full potential. This makes for a more eficiant set-up. If you really want to get tech-tech, get an elelctric water pump to. Hook it up to a thermostatic switch (160) and remove the thermostat. Fast warmup's, less drag, more power.

Crayfish

Reaction
Bigger electric fans can actually take more HP than stock clutched fans. The more amps the fan draws the more load it puts on your alternator and that puts load on your motor. There is a formula to figure out where the break even point is. Maybe someone here knows? Larger ouput alternators create less load at a given amperage drain than stock output alternators but high output alternators are costly.

drtdevil93

Reaction
tyson: a common mistake made by toyota owners is the thing about the gm raidator. your situation might be different, but a lot of toyotas came from the factory with a larger gm radiator. i dont know why, since they did it since they had the 4-core 4runner one mentioned before available to them, and it works a hell of a lot better than the gm unit. i run that same radiator, an LC pro water pump, and the most powerful 16" spal fan available, and an oil cooler with the remote filter. mine ran hot, but thats because of a few other motor problems i was having (which i almost have fixed). anyways, to save money the 4core 4runner radiator with a 16" electric is the way id go. LC's water pump seemed to help out a little too, something to think about.

erik

ntsqd

Reaction
My stocker '85 4x4 came to me with a radiator the PO claimed was for the diesel engine application for that truck. It is different than the 22R application radiator in my '84 4x4. It looks to have a thicker core, which would be a marginal gain. I've yet to measure the core sizes and compare. It seems logical to me that the radiator for a diesel would be bigger.

If you're going to put a non std radiator in, you are wasting your time if you don't go to a cross flow type.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

orvacian

Reaction
I have the Black Magic electric fan I got from Summit for about $180. It bolts on easily and makes it much easier to do engine belt changes. It keeps the temps down when driving slowly or idling for long periods of time. The current draw it puts on the alternator does not even come close to making the same hp loss as the stock fan clutch. When that stock fan clutch kicks in, you know it! It has an adjustable thermostat which is nice for summer or winter adjustments. When I put that fan in I got a new Modine 4 row radiator and put a transmission cooler in front of the radiator. It is as important to keep the transmission cool as it is for the motor.

gary

Reaction
thanks for the help....the truck is by no means overheating yet, but i've just been noticing recently that it doesn't run as cool as it used to. trying to prevent some engine damage before it happens....

with the 4runner radiator, are there any hose issues? i would think that, being it's an all toyota swap, it should all be kind of similar? are we talking 3.0 v6, or 3.4 v6, by the way???

was the modine difficult to get, or can any competent radiator shop get ahold of one??

fireguys racing, what do you run? maybe any ATS-knowledgeable people have any info?

thanks again, and keep 'em coming....

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
Another overlooked option is headers. The stock headers on pre-tacoma engines are cast iron and dont disperse heat very well. That's why the 3.0 V6's are notorious for blowing head gaskets. Some new headers(ceramic!) would be the best. I drive a '92 4x4 with the 3.0 and the headers make a great power gain and lower heat. And for another opinion, the flex-lite fan is a great add on also.

4x4 versus prerunner...4x4 gets stuck farther back, and I like it that way!

Jkrell

Reaction
Gary,

Not sure what year/drivetrain toyota your running, hope this will help. On my 2wd 90 toyota, 22RE, I run a summit racing radiator ($199). You have to change the angle on the inlet and outlet ports but its pretty easy. I've never had any cooling problems before, or after this upgrade....I am actually really surprised to hear people having cooling problems with their toyotas. I have never run a fan shroud and have never had a problem. Additionally this radiator allows you to cut the frame back about 4 or 5 inches for a better approach angle because you can run the radiator above the frame rather than inside the frame rails. Summit offers a few different sizes and configurations, I forget what size I am running...if you want sizes let me know and I will measure mine for ya. good luck.

jon