Toyota Differentials

ntsqd

Reaction
Second hand only. PM me and I'll ask a friend with one if he'll tell of his experiences with it.

TS

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee

DPpatrol

Reaction
"What do you need to know?"

Anything. How strong are they, how reliable, and previous experiance with them? If it weren't for the motor sitting right on the differential it seems they would be a cool setup.

jason

mxjeremy

Reaction
If you are talking about the TRD electric locking diff for tacomas. I've driven w/ one in the dezert, and on a non-official RTI ramp and in my experience, they rock. You can drive with it on at any speed, the book says stay under 5mph, but that is just so Toyota doesn't get sued for some dumbass flipping over their truck when they have the locker on. WARNING!!! Trucks do handle very differently w/ the locker engaged, so be careful. (There, now I'm covered too)

I've heard of 4x4 guys with the locker that used them for rock-crawling all day long, and never had a problem with them. As for my experience, the locker seemed to straighten the truck out with a little extra throttle, at least in the soft stuff. I didn't try full on powerslides because I've seen too many people roll over doing them. I only had the locker on for about 15minutes, and only up to about 35mph, but I loved it.

On the RTI ramp, the truck was slipping the inside tire when the front was only 4 ft up the ramp. Then I stopped, engaged the locker, and as soon as I took my foot off the brake, the truck idled up the ramp another 3 ft. (Side note, IFS trucks articluate very poorly, that's why rock crawlers go straight axle).

DPpatrol

Reaction
I was actually refering to the one available for 4runners and landcruisers with an 8 inch rear end, not tacoma 8.25.

jason

Marshall

Reaction
I have had mine up to 60mph. also had it on slick rock and the thing works like a spool. I have been super pleased and dont really have any negs other than: my truck is a 4x and it wont let me ingage the locker unless it is in 4low. i guess you can cut a wire and bypass it but its just my daily driver. im sure that doesnt have anything to do with the locker. MW

ntsqd

Reaction
They do have some sort of interlock for speed and/or low range that is easily defeated. It's been well documented on the various Yota crawler lists.
They are a spool when locked. They work like the ARB does in that when disengaged it is a std open differential. When engaged, a sliding sleave of some sort locks one side gear to the diff case, effectively creating a spool (albeit with some axle to axle backlash).

Look for the Locking Tru-Trac to be available in the near future. It works in the same fashion when locked, but when unlocked it is a gear type limited slip. More better IMHO.

Also, IFS isn't inherently poorer at articulating. I think Walker proved that in ARCA. Desert racers have never worried about 'articulation', they call it wheel travel and don't limit themselves to just a crossed up axle situation.
The two downsides to crawling with an IFS is that suspension compression reduces ground clearence (even if only one side is compressed), and the stock power delivery parts in an IFS are almost always weaker than the slightly earlier truck's live axle. It can be done though, visit Rockstomper.com for more info.

TS

-- Howdy Lee

ntsqd

Reaction
Not sure of his current set-up. When he first showed up to a rockcrawling 'race' (Isn't that an oxy-moron, racing over who goes the slowest ?), the S10 had a built IFS. Proved it could be done when all of the 'experts' said it couldn't work. It may not be the ideal design, but it can work.

TS

-- Howdy Lee

mxjeremy

Reaction
Thanks for the update on articulation. I'm not for or against rock crawling, solid axle vs. ifs or anything. It's just that I've been up SledgeHammer w/ my friend Dave (in his ranger) and it got pretty boring after the first 15minutes or so. Rockcrawling is just too slow for me. I love the speed of desert racing and motocross.

ntsqd

Reaction
15 minutes is about my limit too. After that I'm ready to do something else.

TS

-- Howdy Lee

Marshall

Reaction
My pop is really into it (rock crawling) and I have to admit it gets old riding shot gun real quick. But when your behind the wheel its pretty dam fun. I think some people just have to have the control issue to have fun ( me being one of them) I co-rode in a one car in a MDR at Barstow and about the third lap of five or six I was getting pretty board. I was looking out the side nets thinking about other stuff like I was back it school.

JasonHutter

Reaction
I don't know, I do love racing, but here is a picture of our sponsors truck out having some fun! This is Kevin Grove from AOR in Grand Junction, Colorado. He is also co-driving with Paul all year in our 7s. He drives up into places in the past I thought was impossible!

Attachments

• 6-16212-kev21card.jpg
    6-16212-kev21card.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 96

JasonHutter

Reaction
Here is another!

Attachments

• 6-16213-kevdtrrpd.jpg
    6-16213-kevdtrrpd.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 94

JasonHutter

Reaction
Last one, pretty amazing what they can do, even if it is slow.

Attachments

• 6-16214-nerf3pd.jpg
    6-16214-nerf3pd.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 116

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Thats about the only mud slingin Yota that I have ever seen that I would say, looks good. Looks like it takes care of business.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.csupomona.edu/~kjhernandez>My Web Page</A>