toyota fab

crashesalot2003

Reaction
i am new to dezert racing in trucks and i have an 86 yota 2wd and i want to prerun it for fun and maybe a little racing, i was just wondering what would be the best way to go, i plan on spending about 10 grand to get a full initial truck and i was wondering who makes a good front suspension, and any details about building a truck i should know, including what i should try to build my self and what is better left to pros. any info will be much appreciated.

no brain, no pain

geoff

Reaction
the total chaos kit is really well designed, im building a similar setup so if you want to be creative and make your stuff, theirs is the one to follow.

otherwise get the uniball =) I use to think the price was high until i started making the kit myself.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." -- Willy Wonka

YotaWhoopRunner

Reaction
Well if you have 10 grand to burn, i would buy a used prerunner that is aleady done the way you want it. Unless you are in love with that 86 toyota you will get more bang for your buck.

crashesalot2003

Reaction
i had thought about buying a new truck, but my dad bought the truck with 11 miles on it in 85 and there is a little attachment there, also i live in Spokane Washington and i wouldn't even know were to start looking for a truck.

no brain, no pain

cleartoy

Reaction
Well, if Dad will just give you the truck, you have alot of dough to fix this one up.

Do you have any fabrication experience? Welding, ect?

I have the TC Uniball kit and think its decent for a bolt on kit. There are others out there to consider though.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

TrucksR4Girls

Reaction
What ever you do..DO NOT buy a truck that is already built up... cause you will never know what is wronge with it untill you take it home..and in the long run you could end up spending more then you would to do it from scratch!

crashesalot2003

Reaction
actually dad has already given me the truck and i know how to weld and next semester i am taking a coarse to learn how to use tig welders, plasma cutters, tubing benders, etc., also one of my motocross friend's dad owns a fabrication business and he said i could use some of his equipment he has at his house and he might even give me a job if i become a certified welder, which could give me much needed experience.

no brain, no pain

crashesalot2003

Reaction
i was wondering about vertically mounted uni-balls- i was wondering if it limits your steering radius when used on the upper and lower arms, from the pics i've seen it looks like it. also i saw the thread about uni-ball replacement that showed a new contraption that looked like a u joint and i think i could fab those, but i was wondering if any body knew what kind of bushing or bearing should be used in that application.

no brain, no pain

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
that style of "u-joint" for a uniball replacement are kinda tricky to make, and most likely cannot be made with simple tools. for this were talking mills, lathes, and a good knowledge of metalurgy(sp). When you use the uniball vertically most of the time you have to make the spindle as well. As for the steering I am not sure. HM uses that style on some of their street kits so it must be able to handle the street use.

Anyone can escape into sleep, we are all geniuses when we dream.

crashesalot2003

Reaction
i was looking at amplified performance site and there arm kit claims 14-16 inches of travel and for around 2 grand, anyone have input about that kit.

no brain, no pain

sweetdevil

Reaction
my buddy works there... he's done some crazy stuff with his truck. We were out at glamis a few weeks ago jumping EVERYTHING in site, and he didn't break anything except for melting a few wires...

Life Sucks.... get a friggin helmet

Heaven Doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over

singlehanded

Reaction
Kinda sounds like when your dad used to say go to your room we need to have a talk! All I know is that it was never a good thing for me.....

midnight landscaper working overtime and I'm full throttle I'm full throttle tonight

crashesalot2003

Reaction
because i dont know how to get ahold of Jim the owner of pro-trux, could some one get him on here to talk to us?

no brain, no pain

orvacian

Reaction
Take that truck over to Duffco, Dan knows Toyotas! A truck Duffco built won a MDR race its first time out and it was not a super high dollar truck, just built right! I am really happy with the work they did on my truck too. $10,000 will build a sweet truck if you choose your parts and design right.
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.duffcoenterprises.com>www.duffcoenterprises.com</A>
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by orvacian on 11/19/02 10:08 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

crashesalot2003

Reaction
i was wondering about tire size, and the theory of bigger tires. is it tall that is good or does wide help too (besides sand, that is obvious). i was also wondering what size tire is good for a toyota on average.

no brain, no pain

cleartoy

Reaction
The taller the tire, the better it rolls through the whoops. You figure it gets sucked in or falls less in the whoop with bigger diameter.

WIder aired down is great in the sand. Cant argure with flotation.

For your reference, i run 33-12.50-15s at all 4 corners on my 2wd Toyota!

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

crashesalot2003

Reaction
i was wondering if you have any tire rub and if you think 35x12.5s would work with a one piece glass up front.

no brain, no pain