• Forum membership has its advantages....

Toyota front fender wells

Tyson

Has anyone here ever cut out the inner fender wells on the front of a Toyota? I've seen it done on one truck, and it looked sweet. He said he did it to clear the 33's that he's running, so I want to do this. I believe all I have to do:
1. is take off the glass,
2. un bolt everything that is secured to the fender wells ( IE Battery, coil, fusebox)
3. cut out the fender well with a sawz all or a torch or something
4. then weld in a bar from the fire wall to the radiator wall (not the radiator)
5. bolt the fenders to the bar I jsut welded in
6. bolt the coil and fuse box somewhere else, and relocate the battery to the rear.

Am I forgetting anything? Does this sound like a good idea? Any thoughts anyone wanna help :-}Thanks

You may beat me in the flats, but watch out in the whoops! ! !

JasonHutter

I would put in a tube from the frame to that tube you are talking about in at least two places per side. You would be amazed at what will move when you are beating through the desert. Things always seem to fall off in the most in-opportune time!

Jason

toyoter91

hey if you ever do this you might want to look at Blind655's suburban. he had SI basicly do what you are talkin about with a little more. its all nice and clean work and would give you some ideas about going about doing it to your truck. we should be out in ocatillo this weekend in his suburban if you want to take a look i am sure he would let you. laters

"Its still good!!! Its still good!!!"

Marshall

Just remember that if you cut them out your going to soak all your electroincs( sp?) in the rain. so if its a daily driver you might want to make some sort of plastic inner well. Or water proof which is a good idea anyway.

Tyson

Hey Marshall what is SP? my coil and fusebox will be secured to the bar and I guess I need to do some waterproofing but you meant from the tire up right? Cause it'll be pretected (somewhat) from the rain by the hood and fenders.
Tyson

Marshall

Tyson,
Sp? just ment I wasn't sure of the spelling. I had a problem with getting my distributor wet and it would mis. Also if you take the fender wells out dont waste your money on a nice paint job. I got star burst cracks in the paint of my fenders from rocks taging the under side, I guess they hit so hard from underneath that it would chip the paint on the top. They were pretty thin race glass. Im not sure if you could have a (extra) flex agent put in the paint? might make it to soft? I ended up running a combo of screen and plastic to protect the motor compartment. So my new project Im trying to keep them in until I get better at working with alloy or fiber and make some myself.

Tyson

Hmmm, thanks for that heads up. I should have realized that the rocks flying out from the tire could fly into the glass, cause that is a major concern in the rear of my truck right now - with no protection rocks fly up and hit the cab luckily my rear window is still in tact. My fiberglass is pretty thick though I think I'll still look into a solution.

Tyson

JasonHutter

pic of the outside of the fenderwell. The finger points to where we cut on the outside and then welded on the new metal. Notice how much material was removed at the bottom of the fenderwell. It was cut real close to the body mount.

Attachments

JasonHutter

This is a pic of the inside of the fenderwell. The finger is where the weld is.

Attachments

JasonHutter

The in cab of the fenderwell (drivers side). The finger is pointing to the inboard weld from the previous pic. It also shows the amount of room that is lost next to the clutch pedal, not enough to matter. You can also see the relocation of the fuse box.

Attachments

JasonHutter

The 2 fingers are pointing to the cut stock piece of metal from inside the cab. You can also see the material that was added (the index finger is resting on it) and how far the stock metal was pushed in.

Attachments

JasonHutter

Our truck has the stock pedals (clutch, brake, gas) in the stock location. The brake booster/master cylinder are stock also, no problems with them. Basically we cut along the bottom of the wheel well towards the center of the truck about 10" or so then cut and then from the bottom up the outside of the wheel well about 10" or so then grabbed a BIG hammer and went to town, moving the stock sheet metal back. Once we had it where we liked it we tacked it in place (the stock stuff) then formed a piece to fit over the stock metal (cover up the cuts) and welded it into place. What we did have to do is trim the bracket that the stock pedals mount to and move the fuse box. Also the line that comes out of the clutch master cylinder had to be relocated out of the way so the tire wouldn't hit it on full compression. The foot room didn't suffer that much it's a little less but, there really wasn't all that much to begin with. Any of the foot room we lost is all on the far left when you look down at the pedals. So there is a little less room over on the left on the drivers side where you rest your foot and on the passenger side on the right. Not enough to make a huge difference.

JCA

I have the same thing in my truck. If I hit an oh s**** I have to push the dent back out when we get home. jajaja

J.C. Andrews
Andrews Racing
www.andrewsracing.com

fishd00d

What A Joke
Cool I am also going to be doing this on my truck soon here. I am stepping up to 35's so I need to make just a little room. The 33's dont hit right now so I should just barely have to move it back.

Go Big Or Go Home

BIG_FAT_LOSER

cool pics, Thanks for the info. Mine is almost moved to the point yours is already..lol

<font color=red>PAT KAPKO</font color=red>
<font color=yellow>Fab by travolta</font color=yellow>

Tyson

Thanks Jason and Paul. I'll get some pictures when I do it and post them on here also.

Tyson

HEY!!! Just cause you got the tools and you wont let me use them, isnt my fault. hehehehe