Toyota fuel level sender q's

orvacian

Reaction
Toyota fuel level sender q\'s

Anybody have any info on the resistance of the factory fuel level sender that comes on 89-95 V6 trucks?
Is there anything that will fit in a Jaz cell and operate the stock guage in the instrument cluster?
Mabye a pinout or wiring colors for the stock sender?

Gabe Lara

Reaction
Re: Toyota fuel level sender q\'s

Aaron,
Check with Jaz ans see how many ohms are being sent by the sending unit in the cell.
You'll also need to find out (probably from Toyota) how many ohms the stock gauge will need to operate at.
You'll have to make sure they are within the same tolerances, or you'll have problems.

A quick fix, if they don't match, would be to just get an aftermarket gauge (VDO, Autometer) to match with the sending unit.

Hope this helps.

-Gabe

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction

most universal senders are 240ohms empty and 77ohms full. (non gm, ford)

I have been told you can add resistors in line to make the ohms near or equal to the stock #'s???

<font color=red>PAT KAPKO</font color=red>
<font color=yellow>Self appointed King of ghetto fab/Rally rookie</font color=yellow>

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction

Yes you can add resistors to change the final amount. Will the right combination exsist? All depends on what your sender is putting out and what your range your gauge works on. If you give me the numbers I could tell you what resistors to use and how to add them to the circiut if there is a possible combination.

Tony
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.y-not-productions.com>www.y-not-productions.com</A>

orvacian

Reaction

Update: I checked my stock sender and found that it is 0 ohms full and 150 empty. The only thing they sell that is close is 0-90 ohms. I asked several times if that means 0 empty or 0 full. They said 0 ohms full. WRONG, I get it back to the shop and find that it is 0 ohms EMPTY. So at this point the stock guage will read backwards and start at half full down to empty. It will be tough to convert from 0-90 ohms to 150-0 ohms. I may look into designing a circuit to adapt it, I am sure a lot of fab shops would be interested in getting a few from me. There are digital resistor ic's available, I could use the 0-90 ohms as a 0-5v voltage devider and that output into the digital resistor etc...

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction

i'll take one. Soon as I get mine installed....................................................someday.

<font color=red>PAT KAPKO</font color=red>
<font color=yellow>Self appointed King of ghetto fab/Rally rookie</font color=yellow>

orvacian

Reaction

We just saw Star Wars tonight. At one point in the movie Yoda says "aim directly at the fuel cells", Roxane looks over at me and says "oh no, not the FUEL CELL!?! It was classic off-road humor, I guess you had to be there :)

Tyson

Reaction

Wasn't that Anakin that said that. That's what I thought cause then Obi-Wan looked at him and said something to the effect of "good call". Sorry, I'm a star wars freak. . .lol

Look at me, I can fly

Check It</font color=red>

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction

Was lookign around online and found <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.atlinc.com/racing/misc.htm>http://www.atlinc.com/racing/misc.htm</A> ATL fuel cells. They list a custom sending unit. All you do is send them the number of ohms and they will make a sender for you.(part # KS146/7-S Fuel Probes, Custom Ohm Scale) They list the toyota/nissan as being 100 to 6.

Duct tape is like the Force.It has a light side and a dark side,and it holds the universe together.

orvacian

Reaction
Toyota fuel level sender update

I did a little research on my own and found a few things out. The stock sender is about 100-0 ohms. A 0-90 ohm sender will work with the stock guage but it will read backwards. A quick fix for this is to open the instrument cluster and change the E to F and F to E. Pretty easy with some model paint!
I am going to try and series or parallel resistors to get it dialed purfect and post the exact values later. There is another sensor in the stock tank that is just for the low fuel idiot light. That sensor reads 250 ohms when in liquid (gas) and 1600 ohms when the tank is empty. If those wires are left open circuit, the light will stay on all the time. To remedy this, place a 250 ohm resistor between the yellow-blue and white-black wires. This will obviously disable your low fuel idiot light, but I assume if you are reading this you are not an idiot so you will be ok :) The yellow-red and brown wires go to the new 0-90 ohm sender in your fuel cell.

The previously mentioned wire colors are on the VEHICLE SIDE of the fuel level sender wire harness on most 89-95 Toyota trucks.
Any questions? E-mail me orvacian@earthlink.net

orvacian

Reaction
Re: Toyota fuel level sender update

Here's a picture of the gas guage after I marked it backwards so it matches my sender purfectly. When the needle hits the red line there are 4 gallons left in the tank.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by orvacian on 07/09/02 05:19 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

Attachments

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Re: Toyota fuel level sender update

hahahah thats pretty good!

Go Big Or Go Home