Toyota Headers

ThriceGuy

Reaction
I wanna get headers for my Tacoma 2.4..I regeared to 4.56's when I got my 32's and have more low end but i lost some top end. What should I be looking for in a header?Anybody have any experience with downey headers?..Also how much HP gain should I be expecting..thanks

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
I helped my friend install a Downey header on his Tacoma 2.4 and it made a big difference all around. The install was not that bad and took about 2 hours or so.....its worth the $$$.

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society

TrucksR4Girls

Reaction
If you dont have exhaust and intake get LC enginnerings EFI kit it comes with Exhaust Header, K&N Filter Charger Kit, EFI Pro Camshaft and a Big Bore Throttle Body its 900 bucks and you get 25-30 more hp. Its well worth the money, all of there products are check out there website www.lcengineering.com

ThriceGuy

Reaction
what tool do u need and anything I should look out for during the install?..does your friend have any problems with leaking?

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
We didnt use any special tools. The hardest part was a crosover tube thing that went behind the engine for something I forget what it was. It was kinda hard to get on but thats about it.

Just make sure you put gasket sealer on the supplied gasket and you shouldnt have any leaking problems.

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society

cleartoy

Reaction
Ive installed plenty of Downey Taco 2.4/2.7/3.4 headers. They all fit well and are available with ceramic finish.

Thorley does not make a header for any Taco.

On your motor, look for about 7HP at the wheel.

While your in there, do a cat back 2.25" intermediate pipe, muff and tail pipe. That together with an intake will be really nice.

You can not touch the cat cuz its an OBD2. At least in CA that is.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

ThriceGuy

Reaction
would you say the ceramic finish is worth it?..i thought the minimum gain i would get is 10hp.

cleartoy

Reaction
The finish is worth it in my opinion, otherwise you get the header blues.....llittereally!!

Yeah AZ get the sticker for insurance!!!! Those Hondas with hair driers are awfully fiesty!!!!! Really its 10 at the crank but more like 7 at the wheel\on the dyno.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

michael_loomis

Reaction
supposedly the ceramic finish is to help keep the engine compartment cooler , which would lead to cooler air being digested by the motor. i've read that 10 degrees of air temp drop is equal to a 1hp gain at the flywheel.

Dillon

Reaction
You may want to look into the Downey, the Edelbrock or if you can spare the cash, the TRD ones are best as the crossover goes over the transmission instead of under (but this sucks for installing) unlike the other two previously mentioned. But the TRDs run $700-900 and are polished stainless steel i believe. The Downey and Edels run from 250-350 if I remember right. I plan on getting Edels some day.

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
I have a 95 T-100 with the 3.4, auto transmission with the colum shift. I just went to Edelbrocks site and it says it won't fit with the colum shift.(for Tacoma or 4-runner, it doesn't say anything about a T-100) So am I screwed on headers or will Downey's or TRD's fit. Or maybe I could modifiy them to fit.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by jdfab on 12/06/02 06:38 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

cleartoy

Reaction
I hate the TRD headers. Put em on a T 100 3.4 auto. It is such a lame design, they put the cross over on top of the transmission and the drivers side header is a 2 piece unit. Pain to install. Also the collectors are small.

With Downey headers, there is no cross over. There is a Ypipe that is made down below to link the headers together and mate to the stock OBD 2 cat.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

firedog

Reaction
We used to run the Downey Headers on our 22R block/20R head engine. We switched to LC Engineering Headers do to what I believe is a better built product. The Downey Headers that we had were welded (header tubes to the flange that mounts to the head) on the INSIDE. This totally disrupts the exhaust flow when leaving the head and the weld is smaller than the header tube so it restricts the flow as well. The LC headers are welded on the outside so the header tube to flange connection is smooth and perfectly round. We have been pleased with the LC headers. Just my .02 cents.

Paul

drtdevil93

Reaction
same here. to my surprise when i switched from downey to lc's header, there was a noticeable power difference. LC seems to have done a lot of research on scavenging. i should explain what that is. cylinder one expels its gas and it shoots down the primary header tube, into the collector, and then through the rest of the system. if the primary tubes are all made perfectly, after cylinder ones exhaust has gone through, there is a vaccuum behind it, and the next cylinder expels in to the vaccuum, and it literally sucks the exhaust right out. and this repeats with all the cylinders. this greatly increases exhaust velocity, making more power. now put this with a proper exhaust system, and horsepower, torque and mileage will all increase significantly. an x-pipe (on dual exhaust) works the same way. the LC header does this very well.

erik

ThriceGuy

Reaction
i contacted downey and they said there 2.4 header wont fit on my 2001because i have a automatic. what other company do u know of that makes headers for my truck?