• Forum membership has its advantages....

Toyota Ignition Troubles

Skyler

Hey Guys I was just wondering if anybody out there knows of a test procedure for an Igniter. It's the part that attaches to the coil. My Truck quit running the other day, it tries to idle but cuts out after about 3-5 seconds. I ran a diagnosis on it and it gave me a code that said that the ECM was not recieving a proper signal from the igniter. I was hoping that one of you guys would know what to do short of buying a new one (I would like to see if it is broken before I run out and buy a new one)
Thanks in advance, Skyler

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Well, usually the test you did is the one that would send you on your way to the parts house to get a new one. I don’t think there is another way of testing it short of pulling it and finding some place that could bench test it. Anyone else got more on this?

Shaun

Skyler

Hey Shaun, thanks for the expert advise! It turned out to be something really stupid and I feel like an ass for not seeing it in the first place. It seems that the ground wire that runs from the battery to the fenderwell had broken off. I didn't know that the whole trucks computer system would be so delicate, but I guess it is. I hooked up the wire and the thing fired right up. I'm glad I didn't pay the 400.00 dollars that the Toyota dealer wanted- I woulda' been pissed!